ECT What does this verse mean? What is the practical application of it?

oatmeal

Proverbs 27:5

Open rebuke is better than secret love.

How does II Timothy 4:2 fit with it?

2 Timothy 4:1-6

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

How are we to rebuke people?

With all longsuffering and doctrine.

DAN P

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

Hi and the above is accomplished by being consistent in teaching the word rightly divided as I do and put up with all that is thrown at you , good and bad as I am reaching many with Pauline truth and God gives the Increase , 1 Cor 3:6 !!

dan p

republicanchick

it would be the pope telling fake Catholics who promote abortion

You cannot receive Communion. Do not come to my Church and expect it.

and also it would mean rebuking other priests who allow this kind of uncatholic behavior

Instead, the pope is too busy trying to come across like he isn't as catholic as some may think or some such thing...

oatmeal

Hi and the above is accomplished by being consistent in teaching the word rightly divided as I do and put up with all that is thrown at you , good and bad as I am reaching many with Pauline truth and God gives the Increase , 1 Cor 3:6 !!

dan p

Would you agree that:

That doctrine that one rebukes with is God's inspired word. II Timothy 3:16, anything else would be false rebuking.

oatmeal

it would be the pope telling fake Catholics who promote abortion

You cannot receive Communion. Do not come to my Church and expect it.

and also it would mean rebuking other priests who allow this kind of uncatholic behavior

Instead, the pope is too busy trying to come across like he isn't as catholic as some may think or some such thing...

The standard by which anyone should be rebuked by is the God inspired scripture, II Timothy 3:16

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Would you agree that:

That doctrine that one rebukes with is God's inspired word. II Timothy 3:16, anything else would be false rebuking.

rebuking is judging. I am not saying it is wrong to rebuke.

We cannot expect everyone else agree that we are right and everyone else is wrong if they don't agree with ours.

We just have to wait Jesus' judgment whether we are judging or rebuking righteously.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

You are still here aren't you after nearly constant anti trinity preaching and you are still being corrected on it, id say thats longsuffering.

1Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

God was clear/obvious in the flesh. Clear that Christ is God become flesh. The word manifest means clear/obvious.

Context also says God was received up into glory - Christ was received up into glory. Why you deny whats clear and obvious is beyond me. See, i just showed my longsuffering, by rebuking you and then preaching clear doctrine. Youre welcome.

oatmeal

rebuking is judging. I am not saying it is wrong to rebuke.

We cannot expect everyone else agree that we are right and everyone else is wrong if they don't agree with ours.

We just have to wait Jesus' judgment whether we are judging or rebuking righteously.

We have God's word that tells us what is right and what is wrong and what things God leaves up to us to decide. Not all things are right or wrong, some things do not fit into either category. Scripture does not tell us what we should have for dinner. However, it does tell us that God wishes above all things that we prosper and be in health. So we should eat healthy and make other choices that are in accordance with God wish that we be in health.

God provided a lot of truths by way of His word. He tells us many, many truths, all that we need to live II Peter 1:3-4.

However, as you point out, we must understand scripture as God intended us to understand it for us to reap the benefits of God's instructions to us.

oatmeal

You are still here aren't you after nearly constant anti trinity preaching and you are still being corrected on it, id say thats longsuffering.

1Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

God was clear/obvious in the flesh. Clear that Christ is God become flesh. The word manifest means clear/obvious.

Context also says God was received up into glory - Christ was received up into glory. Why you deny whats clear and obvious is beyond me. See, i just showed my longsuffering, by rebuking you and then preaching clear doctrine. Youre welcome.

Well, thanks for offering your opinion on that subject.

When you decide to take scripture seriously enough to examine its contents closely, you will find yourself making a few changes in what you believe to be true.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well, thanks for offering your opinion on that subject.

When you decide to take scripture seriously enough to examine its contents closely, you will find yourself making a few changes in what you believe to be true.

Yes, that happens all the time, as it should. You are the one ignoring what is clear and obvious.

oatmeal

Yes, that happens all the time, as it should. You are the one ignoring what is clear and obvious.

That is one person's opinion.

Opinions are given given quite freely.

However, when we rightly divide the word of truth as II Timothy 2:15 tells us we can do, we find out that some traditions are not scripturally supported.

Even such simple verses like Matthew 12:40 are found to be unbelievable for some. They have fallen for tradition because they are taught tradition even though it contradicts the plain and unmistakably clear words of Jesus Christ.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
We have God's word that tells us what is right and what is wrong

Not everyone reads it the same way. I they do, they would not have so many denominations or argue about everything, just like this site.

You are not being realistic.

oatmeal

Not everyone reads it the same way. I they do, they would not have so many denominations or argue about everything, just like this site.

You are not being realistic.

Indeed, it is the failure of those who do not rightly divided the word of truth that is the cause of division and all the denominations and sects.

People tend to stick with the familiar rather than search the scriptures for answers.

oatmeal

I do not doubt your sincerity.

It is obvious that you believe you have scripture on your side.

Therefore, it is obvious that you believe that you have openly rebuked with scripture what I believe.

I am glad to see that unlike many others you did not resort to name calling, insults, etc, as others have when they find they have painted themselves into a corner.

At least you have endeavored to use scripture instead of character assassination.

Open rebuke, biblically, requires the use of scripture, not emotionally charged insults.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
We have God's word that tells us what is right and what is wrong and what things God leaves up to us to decide.

Yes, of course. In reality, most of us read the Bible differently believe we are right and our enemy is wrong.

You cannot control how people read the Bible.

oatmeal

Yes, of course. In reality, most of us read the Bible differently believe we are right and our enemy is wrong.

You cannot control how people read the Bible.

That is right, and knowing this, we need to learn to read and study and learn scripture objectively else we find ourselves in error, when had we bothered with checking our beliefs against scripture, we could have corrected our own errors early on.

Reading scripture with preconceived notions, or emotion or incompletely on a subject or reliance on the opinions of others (commentators rather than serious students) is the path to wrongly dividing the word of truth.

We must learn to lay aside preconceived notions, emotions, the opinions of others and the temptation to rely on incomplete knowledge of a subject in order to rightly divide the word of truth..

The man of God (and his associates) that I learned the bulk of what I know from scripture, learned to hold back when he knew he did not have enough information to draw a conclusion. He waited decades for some answers to questions he had on his mind. He had to learn to be satisfied with what he could know for sure and not worry about what he did not yet know.

God's word is far too important to guess about.

Not when we can learn with meekness and humility and patience and prayer what God's intention for us to learn and live is.

oatmeal

Proverbs 9:8

Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee.

oatmeal

Proverbs 9:7

He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame: and he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot.

oatmeal

Proverbs 24:24-26 KJV

He that saith unto the wicked, Thou are righteous; him shall the people curse, nations shall abhor him:

25 But to them that rebuke him shall be delight, and a good blessing shall come upon them.

26 Every man shall kiss his lips that giveth a right answer.