ECT What determines culture that men live by in a society?

PureX

Majority rules?
Collective agreement. Mostly passive. Culture is a term that refers to the way a collective human society has chosen to live together, and live in the world. It's how they see themselves and how they see the world around them.

Keep in mind there can be many subcultures within culture, because it's a matter of perspective.

Cross Reference

Collective agreement. Mostly passive. Culture is a term that refers to the way a collective human society has chosen to live together, and live in the world. It's how they see themselves and how they see the world around them.

Keep in mind there can be many subcultures within culture, because it's a matter of perspective.

It is by permission that any subculture remain within the ruling culture.

ISIS ring a bell?

PureX

Only if the "ruling culture" demands their permission. And even then, their capacity to enforce their rule is limited. A great many rulers have succumbed to the idea that they could dictate culture to those they ruled. No law will stand against a people who will not accept it. Not even when imposed by force.

Prohibition is a good example. When a culture does not accept a forced rule, the rule and the enforcer will be overthrown.

ISIS ring a bell?
ISIS will be overthrown. It's inevitable.

Cross Reference

Only if the "ruling culture" demands their permission. And even then, their capacity to enforce their rule is limited. A great many rulers have succumbed to the idea that they could dictate culture to those they ruled. No law will stand against a people who will not accept it. Not even when imposed by force.

Prohibition is a good example. When a culture does not accept a forced rule, the rule and the enforcer will be overthrown.

ISIS will be overthrown. It's inevitable.

I think you are naive. Where do you call home?

PureX

I think you are naive. Where do you call home?
And I think you worship the power of "religious authority" as if it came directly from God, and so you greatly over-estimate it's ability to rule over other people. (Because you let it rule over you.)

Where do you live? (And why should I care?)

Bradley D

But the point is, majority rules. They determine the direction the nation with go. Ergo, they establish or change existing culture. We need only compare our nation today with what it was 50-60 years ago. . . or even last year!

Hey brad! You don't seen to reply much to what is written to you. Is there some reason for that?. . :)

Just because the majority wants something does not make it right. If it is selfish and goes against God's word then I believe it is wrong.

P.S. If my mind is not changed or I have nothing else to add. I usually remain quiet.

Cross Reference

Just because the majority wants something does not make it right. If it is selfish and goes against God's word then I believe it is wrong.
We aren't here speaking of right or wrong but simply that, majority rules.
P.S. If my mind is not changed or I have nothing else to add. I usually remain quiet.

Interesting. Seems then one might never know if he/she has met with agrement in you. I would say that is being "selfish", especially if needed for further discussion or simply, affirmation.

Cross Reference

Quote Originally Posted by Cross Reference View Post

ISIS ring a bell?

This needs to be corrected to read:

Only if the "ruling culture" 'gives their permission by written or ideological laws enacted by them'. And even then, their capacity to enforce their rule is limited. A great many rulers have succumbed to the idea that they could dictate culture to those they ruled. No law will stand against a people who will not accept it. Not even when imposed by force.

Prohibition is a good example. When a culture does not accept a forced rule, the rule and the enforcer is made subject to be overthrown.

ISIS ring a bell?

PureX

You can't rule people with rape, robbery, torture and murder for long. They WILL rebel.

That's an extreme example, but it holds in the lesser extreme examples as well. When the "leaders" grossly overtax their people, the people will rebel. When they impose absurd and extreme punishments to enforce religious belief, the people will rebel.

The point is that people will rebel sooner or later when their leaders abuse their power. Ultimately, they HAVE TO rebel, just to survive. Because power corrupts, and the greater the power the greater the corruption. And corruption = destruction. Every time.

The first rule of leadership is to lead by serving. And it's a rule that few leaders in history have taken to heart. Which is why so many of them have succumbed to ignominy, in the end.

Here is the real rule of culture:

Human culture is governed by the individual's need to cooperate with others, to survive, and by our universal desire to avoid suffering.

Any ideology, or leader, that doesn't mind this rule will eventually be stripped of power.