Well, That's That

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No biblical basis for Homosexuality being civilization destroying.
Given that you think "six days" cannot mean what it plainly says, we can safely disregard everything you have to say about the Bible.

I don't understand the society level opposition to same-sex marriage by Christian groups.
Hint: It's because God sai it is not OK to be gay.

Christians are to be the light of the world by their own actions, I've never seen a verse where Christians are told to force nonbelievers to comply with Christian standards.
Christian standards like do not murder?

There was open homosexuality throughout ancient Rome and that empire lasted almost 500 years.
And then it fell over. :idunno:

fool

Hall of Fame
This is a great thing for the GOP.
SCOTUS settled it and there's no going back so they can drop the anti gay plank out of the platform and get a little more aligned with the rest of the country.

Alate_One

That doesn't make sense. There are still racist religious beliefs out there, even to the point where racist organizations still legally exist and have free speech protections. There even was a case relatively recently where a church refused to conduct a wedding ceremony for an interracial couple. No one was arrested, fined, or had any legal action taken against them at all. Sure, there was public backlash (which there should be), but no official government action.

There was one decision on the tax exempt status of Bob Jones university. But that was based on anti-discrimination laws, not marriage rights.

I would be more concerned when there are anti-discrimination laws against homosexuals on the books, but even then it's not as if anyone has gotten anywhere with a sex discrimination lawsuit against Catholics.

jeffblue101

for clarification: many christian organisations excluding churches will face a lose of tax exempt status or tax benefits especially universities which are required by law to adhere to public policy rules. for example, Bob Jones University was force to recognize interracial marriage in order to keep their tax status. so if gay marriage is a much a right as interracial marriage what is to stop the irs from enforcing this new right. Does congress even have the ability to write laws that allow organizations of people to ignore the "right" of gay marriage?

fool

Hall of Fame
for clarification: many christian organisations excluding churches will face a lose of tax exempt status or tax benefits especially universities which are required by law to adhere to public policy rules. for example, Bob Jones University was force to recognize interracial marriage in order to keep their tax status. so if gay marriage is a much a right as interracial marriage what is to stop the irs from enforcing this new right. Does congress even have the ability to write laws that allow organizations of people to ignore the "right" of gay marriage?

You're right Jeff, it's the beginning of the end for Christians.
Where you gonna move to?

jeffblue101

There was one decision on the tax exempt status of Bob Jones university. But that was based on anti-discrimination laws, not marriage rights.

I would be more concerned when there are anti-discrimination laws against homosexuals on the books, but even then it's not as if anyone has gotten anywhere with a sex discrimination lawsuit against Catholics.

wow that is totally contradictory to what the supreme court ruled today. That gays were indeed being discriminated against. not only that but the attorney general of the Obama administration already admitted that this can occur

General Verrilli: You know, **I don’t think I can answer that question without knowing more specifics, but it’s certainly going to be an issue. I don’t deny that. I don’t deny that, Justice Alito. It is –it is going to be an issue

Alate_One

Given that you think "six days" cannot mean what it plainly says, we can safely disregard everything you have to say about the Bible.
Translation: I have no passages to offer in support of my assertion, I'll just attack you on an unrelated subject.

Hint: It's because God sai it is not OK to be gay.
God said it's not okay to do a lot of things. That doesn't mean we try to make all of society perfect by legislating morality.

Christian standards like do not murder?
A civil society will have laws against murder, because it deprives the other person of life.

And then it fell over. :idunno:
All societies fall over eventually. And it really fell over after it became Christian so . . .

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Translation: I have no passages to offer in support of my assertion, I'll just attack you on an unrelated subject.
Nope. Given that you cannot respect the simplest concepts in scripture, there is no reason to accept your opinion of the Bible.

God said it's not okay to do a lot of things. That doesn't mean we try to make all of society perfect by legislating morality.
Yip. Murder, kidnapping, adultery, stealing, slavery, rape, perjury. And homosexuality.

A civil society will have laws against murder, because it deprives the other person of life.
Not exactly.

And a civil society will outlaw homosexuality for different reasons.

And it really fell over after it became Christian so . . .

Ah. So you think Christianity was the problem, not homosexuality.

Figures. :rolleyes:

Arthur Brain

Not directly, no. It's just a reliable indicator of how far terminal societal rot has progressed.

Hmm, not that long back we had kids sweeping chimneys, women without a voice or a vote and black people sitting at the back of a bus. Guess things were so much better then right?

:rolleyes:

Alate_One

wow that is totally contradictory to what the supreme court ruled today. That gays were indeed being discriminated against. not only that but the attorney general of the Obama administration already admitted that this can occur

Yes, but what was done was Gay marriage bans in states were struck down on the basis of equal protection. All that means is gay marriage isn't illegal in any state, and anyone who wants to perform one, can do so.

A general non-discrimination law for homosexuals has not yet been enacted.

Eventually this may happen. But as I said to Jose, it's not as if Catholic organizations are being sued on the basis of discrimination against women since women are not allowed to be priests.

The only real trouble I would foresee is a Christian college might be forced to allow gay students in married student housing or something like that. But I think that's pretty unlikely.

But I am certain religious organizations would retain the right to hire only heterosexual professors and administrators as they can already hire only people *they* determine to be Christian for those positions. Churches and christian colleges already have a legal right to discriminate in hiring and firing.

Granite

Hall of Fame
You can only tell people the sky's falling for so long before they finally realize you're full of it.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think we all knew those sorts of statements were just emotional hyperbole. However, I'll be watching for the total collapse of western civilization and/or the United States, since that's what the right-wing generally predicted would happen once gays were allowed to marry.

Give it 100 years or so.

Is gay marriage some sort of time-release capsule for destroying civilizations? :rotfl:

I think it means that heterosexuals will no longer be allowed to marry.

Alate_One

Not exactly.

And a civil society will outlaw homosexuality for different reasons.
And those reasons are?

Ah. So you think Christianity was the problem, not homosexuality.

Figures. :rolleyes:
Nope, Christianity didn't do it. More likely corruption and poor leadership. My point was, homosexuality wasn't the cause. If anything it was becoming less accepted during the decline due to the rise of Christianity.

The replacement/eastern continuation of the Romans, The Byzantine Empire, was Christian from the start and they lasted around a thousand years, twice as long as the original Roman empire.

jeffblue101

Yes, but what was done was Gay marriage bans in states were struck down on the basis of equal protection. All that means is gay marriage isn't illegal in any state, and anyone who wants to perform one, can do so.

A general non-discrimination law for homosexuals has not yet been enacted.

Eventually this may happen. But as I said to Jose, it's not as if Catholic organizations are being sued on the basis of discrimination against women since women are not allowed to be priests.

The only real trouble I would foresee is a Christian college might be forced to allow gay students in married student housing or something like that. But I think that's pretty unlikely.

But I am certain religious organizations would retain the right to hire only heterosexual professors and administrators as they can already hire only people *they* determine to be Christian for those positions. Churches and christian colleges already have a legal right to discriminate in hiring and firing.

Incorrect they didn't just strike down gay marriage bans, they made it into a "civil right" enshrined in the Constitution. so it becomes impossible not to employ or house someone who is engaging in this "civil right" without it becoming a civil rights violation. which would lead to the IRS to revoking a tax exempt status.

Alate_One

Incorrect they didn't just strike down gay marriage bans they made it into a "civil right" enshrined in the Constitution. so it becomes impossible not to employ or house someone who is engaging in this "civil right" without it becoming a civil rights violation. which would lead to the IRS to revoking a tax exempt status.

Not true. Marriage rights don't automatically grant non-discrimination status. Only some states have non-discrimination laws.

WorkplaceGraphics_Map.jpg