Trump touts economic successes, including record-low unemployment among African Ameri

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Obviously Trumps deregulation and tax plan have worked wonders with the economy and jobs. But I contend that the drastic drop in illegal alien crossing have helped African Americans employment among unskilled laborers. Who agrees?

Trump touts economic successes, including record-low unemployment among African Americans
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...low-unemployment-among-african-americans.html

President Trump on Saturday touted the country’s economic successes during his first year in office, highlighting a record-low jobless rate among African Americans.

“The African American unemployment rate fell to 6.8%, the lowest rate in 45 years,” Trump tweeted. "I am so happy about this News!”

The post also mentioned that The Washington Post, which Trump frequently accuses of publishing “fake” or unfairly critical news about his presidency, recongized his economic success.

“And, in the Washington Post (of all places), headline states, ‘Trumps first year jobs numbers were very, very good.' "

The unemployment rate for African-Americans fell to 6.8 percent in December, the lowest level since the government began tracking such data in 1972.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Obviously Trumps deregulation and tax plan have worked wonders with the economy and jobs.

Sounds like a testable claim...

Separately, the president's Council of Economic Advisers touted the unemployment rate of other demographic groups on Friday, shortly after the latest jobs report was released.

The total unemployment rate is quite low, at 4.1 percent. That's not a record, but for comparison with that African-American rate, it is near its lowest point since 1972.

This leads to the bigger question of how much Trump has to do with any of this job growth, regardless of race or ethnicity.

By the jobs numbers themselves, it doesn't look like he has changed much here. In fact, the average job creation in Trump's first year is slightly lower than it has been in prior years. Employers added 171,000 new jobs each month, on average, in 2017. In 2016, that figure was 187,000, and in 2015, it was 226,000.

average-monthly-job-creation-thousands_chartbuilder_custom-fb1e4c48def2eeca31251ef50416666857a9153a-s400-c85.png

It is possible that the tax plan that Trump recently signed into law will inspire employers to hire more. Businesses could conceivably plow some of the money they save on their taxes thanks to that plan into job creation. In a late-November Yahoo poll of more than 1,200 business owners, half said the new tax plan would make them more likely to hire.

Then again, a majority of economists polled by the University of Chicago predict that long term, the tax plan won't lead to higher economic growth.

It's not that Trump has had zero effect on the economy. Though a strong global economy has been the main reason stocks are climbing ever higher, as NPR's Jim Zarroli reported in December, the president's agenda of deregulation and cutting corporate taxes has also likely very played some part in pushing stocks ever higher.

But the case that Trump has therefore significantly boosted job creation through the stock market isn't particularly strong, says one economist.
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/08/5765...loyment-rates-for-african-americans-hispanics

But I contend that the drastic drop in illegal alien crossing have helped African Americans employment among unskilled laborers. Who agrees?

If there's an economic downside to illegal aliens, it would be lower employment in low-wage jobs. Let's see...

“We’ve really had to change our tactics of how we source associates,” Mr. Traylor said. His company has begun working with high schools and community colleges to interest students in entry-level manufacturing and distribution jobs — paying about $15 an hour — which have been particularly hard to fill.

Skeptics argue that if the labor market were truly stretched, wages would be rising faster. Instead, year-over-year wage growth has declined since the end of last year to 2.5 percent, just a nose in front of inflation.

“That’s more of a softening than a tightening story,” said Jared Bernstein, who was chief economic adviser to Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. early in the Obama administration.

The skeptics included bond traders who drove yields down on Friday, betting that even if the Fed goes ahead with a rate increase this month, it will think twice about further moves in the second half of the year.

Also troubling is the decline in overall participation in the labor force, which has trudged along below 63 percent during the recovery, compared with more than 66 percent before the recession. Some of the tiny gains that had been made were knocked off in May, showing more people were dropping out of the labor force than returning.

“That’s always ugly,” said Mr. North, the Euler Hermes economist.

Moreover, he added, those who have been out of the job market for a while or lack up-to-date skills may have less bargaining power when they re-enter. Low wages and fluctuating schedules have also sown anxiety among many Americans.

Among political leaders, responses predictably split along partisan lines.

“We’re not worried about slowing job growth,” Gary D. Cohn, director of the White House’s National Economic Council, told CNBC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/02/business/economy/jobs-report.html

No reason to worry yet. The problem is that we're now into the ninth year of an economic expansion, and the debt is rising again. That's not the usual thing, and it's a sign of trouble ahead.

The Economy Is Soaring, And Now So Is The Deficit. That’s A Bad Combination.
Between costly tax cuts and last week’s hefty spending bill, Congress is generating deficits that aren’t just large, they’re also unprecedented and potentially ominous. And even with some optimistic assumptions, President Trump’s latest budget proposal wouldn’t eliminate these deficits — in fact, the president is still angling to add a potentially costly infrastructure plan on top of current spending. But when the economy is this strong, deficits are usually small and shrinking, not ballooning back toward $1 trillion.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ow-so-is-the-deficit-thats-a-bad-combination/

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Dude, do you really think I am going to take anything you say seriously? You have bombarded this forum with anti-Trump hate and ignorance. You are among the lowest of the low as far as I am concerned. You can blab all you want to, I'll never read a word of it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Dude, do you really think I am going to take anything you say seriously?

You've been far too indoctrinated to be swayed by evidence and reason. The facts I posted aren't for you; they are for others reading this, who are not so ideologically bound left or right that they can't reason any longer.

You have bombarded this forum with anti-Trump hate and ignorance.

The evidence is pretty solid that Trump does hate anyone not like him. And I could give you a list of ignorant things he says and believes.

You are among the lowest of the low as far as I am concerned.

It's not mutual. I don't hate you at all. You seem to have become so attached to your ideas that you can't tolerate the slightest thing that contradicts them. That doesn't make me angry. It makes me sad.

You can blab all you want to, I'll never read a word of it.

Seems as though you're so fixated on me that you can't resist.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
And honestly, I wish you well; may God bless and keep you. This will pass, but faith in God will remain.

No matter how grim it looks, you're fine if you hang onto that.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dude, do you really think I am going to take anything you say seriously? You have bombarded this forum with anti-Trump hate and ignorance. You are among the lowest of the low as far as I am concerned. You can blab all you want to, I'll never read a word of it.
It's The Barbarian, so don't expect much in the way of manners and reason.

Danoh

Luke 6:28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them that calumniate you.

It is so hard for fallible humans to do this. But we are told to try.

Its called "manners and reason."

Just as The Washington Post allows articles written by pro-Trump supporters.

Just as they allow UNCENSORED debate by all sides, in the comments section following an article.

It's called "manners and reason."

But to those with very little of either, but for those they consider of their number.

The hypocrisy of the typical Trump supporter on TOL remains...consistent.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The hypocrisy of the typical Trump supporter on TOL remains...consistent.

That's between them and God. I'm just addressing the argument. If they want to curse the Evil Barbarian, they can lay on as they like.

It's especially true on message boards: "Anger is a weapon only in the hands of your opponent."

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Maybe Trump will bless you even though you spew out hate and venom about him every day.

I don't actually hate anyone. I agree with most Americans that Trump is a pretty poor excuse for a man, but that doesn't mean we hate him.

He's just a morally weak person, unable to function as president. Trump isn't evil; he obviously didn't want those students dead; it's just that other things were more important to him. Given his narcissism, it's quite possible that he doesn't even realize the consequences of what he's done.

I'm a little concerned about your own posts. I'm not trying to upset you. You might be a very decent person, in spite of some of the things you have said.

I just wish you could deal with the arguments instead of venting at people who disagree with you.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Hypocrite

You claim to be a Catholic. And yet you scorn what He says to you. It's O.K. to disagree with one another. It is not O.K. to hate each other.

Again, I truly wish you well, and ask for God's blessing on you. When you can do that, even for someone with whom you vigorously disagree, you will be moving toward an imitation of Christ. Often, I don't live up to that standard, but I do try.

It's worth the effort. It's important to your salvation.

Just think about it, O.K.?