Trump: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
‘Arizona Republic’ Slams Arpaio Pardon: Trump Made It Clear Racism ‘Is A Goal’
Arizona’s largest newspaper on Friday slammed Donald Trump for using his first presidential pardon to absolve former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio of a criminal contempt of court conviction.

Arpaio was found guilty in July of violating a court order to cease racially profiling Latinos for detention based on suspicions about immigration status.

Trump relieved a valuable political ally of the criminal charge: Arpaio endorsed him for President way back in January 2016, and Trump has said Arpaio’s harsh detention tactics — including housing hundreds of inmates in the intense Arizona sun and relying heavily on solitary confinement — were models for the nation.

The editorial board of the Arizona Republic, the paper that most closely followed Arpaio’s 24-year career as sheriff, eviscerated the decision.

“This erases any doubt about whether Trump meant to empower them after the violence in Charlottesville,” the board’s editorial read, referring to “immigration hardliners and nationalists in Trump’s base.”
. . . .
Arpaio was known for his extreme treatment of undocumented immigrants. Aside from his pattern of racially profiling motorists who he and his deputies suspected were undocumented, he once segregated undocumented immigrants in his outdoor “Tent City” detention center, surrounding them with electrified fence.
. . . .
“Arpaio was a lawman who scorned his duty to treat all people equally,” the Arizona Republic wrote Friday. “He made it law enforcement policy to profile people based on their heritage.”

The editorial concluded: “By pardoning Arpaio, Trump made it clear that institutional racism is not just OK with him. It is a goal. That should trouble every American who believes that our duty as a nation is to continue working on behalf of equal justice.”

NYT had a good article on this today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/26/us/politics/trump-pardon-joe-arpaio-constitution.html

It's different than most (any before?) in that it strikes at the Constitution itself.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
‘Arizona Republic’ Slams Arpaio Pardon: Trump Made It Clear Racism ‘Is A Goal’
Arizona’s largest newspaper on Friday slammed Donald Trump for using his first presidential pardon to absolve former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio of a criminal contempt of court conviction.

Arpaio was found guilty in July of violating a court order to cease racially profiling Latinos for detention based on suspicions about immigration status.

Trump relieved a valuable political ally of the criminal charge: Arpaio endorsed him for President way back in January 2016, and Trump has said Arpaio’s harsh detention tactics — including housing hundreds of inmates in the intense Arizona sun and relying heavily on solitary confinement — were models for the nation.

The editorial board of the Arizona Republic, the paper that most closely followed Arpaio’s 24-year career as sheriff, eviscerated the decision.

“This erases any doubt about whether Trump meant to empower them after the violence in Charlottesville,” the board’s editorial read, referring to “immigration hardliners and nationalists in Trump’s base.”
. . . .
Arpaio was known for his extreme treatment of undocumented immigrants. Aside from his pattern of racially profiling motorists who he and his deputies suspected were undocumented, he once segregated undocumented immigrants in his outdoor “Tent City” detention center, surrounding them with electrified fence.
. . . .
“Arpaio was a lawman who scorned his duty to treat all people equally,” the Arizona Republic wrote Friday. “He made it law enforcement policy to profile people based on their heritage.”

The editorial concluded: “By pardoning Arpaio, Trump made it clear that institutional racism is not just OK with him. It is a goal. That should trouble every American who believes that our duty as a nation is to continue working on behalf of equal justice.”
Go Trumpy, Go Trump !!!!!!

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
NYT had a good article on this today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/26/us/politics/trump-pardon-joe-arpaio-constitution.html

It's different than most (any before?) in that it strikes at the Constitution itself.

That was a good article.

Arpaio: "Law or no law on this one, we're still going to go do our operation."

It's at the 3:00 mark.

Again I see the similarity between Trump and Arpaio:

"It was the first act of outright defiance against the judiciary by a president..."

"Mr. Arpaio, who has been anything but contrite..."

Hard to tell which one is Dr. Evil and which one is Mini-Me.

Last edited:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
That was a good article.

Again I see the similarity between Trump and Arpaio:

"It was the first act of outright defiance against the judiciary by a president..."

"Mr. Arpaio, who has been anything but contrite..."

Hard to tell which one is Dr. Evil and which one is Mini-Me.
All anti-Trump articles are good to you :chuckle:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
All anti-Trump articles are good to you :chuckle:

Eh. I don't blame you for thinking that, because I've posted quite a few articles critical of Trump here over the last year and a half or so. But not everything I've read that's critical is partisan, some of it comes from his own GOP, even from his own administration. And then, some of what I read is too left wing and they get carried away the same way the right wing bloggers and pundits do. I've read crazy stuff on both sides. I read at liberal sites and I've gone back to reading some of the conservative sites again, just to see what they're saying, and what the right-wing commenters are saying. When they get into the conspiracy stuff - it's bizarro world and it does real life damage to victims' families.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Man stabbed after haircut gets him mistaken for a neo-Nazi

Witt says he’d just pulled in to the parking lot of the Steak ’n Shake in Sheridan, Colo., and was opening his car door.

“All I hear is, ‘Are you one of them neo-Nazis?’ as this dude is swinging a knife up over my car door at me,” he said.

“I threw my hands up and once the knife kind of hit, I dived back into my car and shut the door and watched him run off west, behind my car.

“The dude was actually aiming for my head,” he added.

“I was more in shock because I was just getting a milkshake.”

Witt says he has no tattoos or regalia that would finger him for a fascist. His pals are messaging him on Facebook with the only rationale they can come up with: “They say it’s my haircut.”

:doh:

He claimed he was stabbed for looking like a “neo-Nazi.” Now police say he bought the knife himself.
Joshua Witt faces a fine of up to $2,650 and up to one year in jail for filing a false report

Sheridan police arrested a man after he admitted cutting himself and making up a story about being stabbed by someone who asked if he was a “neo-Nazi.”

Joshua Witt, 26, told police on Aug. 16 that he was stabbed in the hand by a man who approached him outside the Steak ‘n Shake restaurant at 3502 River Point Parkway.

Witt told police the man asked if he was a neo-Nazi and then tried to stab him. Witt claimed his hand was injured as he tried to protect himself. Witt, a U.S. Navy boatswain’s mate who lives in San Diego, posted photos of his injured hand on his Facebook page and shared the fake story about being stabbed. . . .​

WizardofOz

He claimed he was stabbed for looking like a “neo-Nazi.” Now police say he bought the knife himself.
Joshua Witt faces a fine of up to $2,650 and up to one year in jail for filing a false report

Sheridan police arrested a man after he admitted cutting himself and making up a story about being stabbed by someone who asked if he was a “neo-Nazi.”

Joshua Witt, 26, told police on Aug. 16 that he was stabbed in the hand by a man who approached him outside the Steak ‘n Shake restaurant at 3502 River Point Parkway.

Witt told police the man asked if he was a neo-Nazi and then tried to stab him. Witt claimed his hand was injured as he tried to protect himself. Witt, a U.S. Navy boatswain’s mate who lives in San Diego, posted photos of his injured hand on his Facebook page and shared the fake story about being stabbed. . . .​
:doh:
What a moron.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
At news conference, Trump says he pardoned Joe Arpaio during the hurricane for “ratings”

Donald Trump on Monday defended his decision to pardon former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio in the midst of a major hurricane, saying he thought more people would hear about the pardon because of the timing.

"I assumed the ratings would be far higher than they would be normally," Trump said of his decision to announce the pardon late Friday night, as Hurricane Harvey was making landfall on the Texas coast.​

It's always about The Donald.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Bad
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency will no longer sponsor an awards program honoring voluntary corporate actions to combat global warming, it announced on Friday, the agency’s latest move to undo Obama-era climate change programs.

But the corporation that participated do have an interest, unless they were just doing it for the "honorary awards"

This thread is about what Trump does, not corporations.

:think:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
At news conference, Trump says he pardoned Joe Arpaio during the hurricane for “ratings”

Donald Trump on Monday defended his decision to pardon former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio in the midst of a major hurricane, saying he thought more people would hear about the pardon because of the timing.

"I assumed the ratings would be far higher than they would be normally," Trump said of his decision to announce the pardon late Friday night, as Hurricane Harvey was making landfall on the Texas coast.​

It's always about The Donald.
I appreciate a President who thinks about the ratings :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.