Trump: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Like most radical leftists, he has plenty of free time.
Silly thing to say. But if you're determined to be silly (or any number of less pleasant things) instead then I suppose I'm not the only one with time.

Speaking of time, the next time you ask a question you should know the answer to I'll just whack you with the funny stick instead of giving you an answer and effort to disregard out of hand. And I know you'll understand why...if only because I just told you.

Seems fair. :)

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Silly thing to say. But if you're determined to be silly (or any number of less pleasant things) instead then I suppose I'm not the only one with time.

Speaking of time, the next time you ask a question you should know the answer to I'll just whack you with the funny stick instead of giving you an answer and effort to disregard out of hand. And I know you'll understand why...if only because I just told you.

Seems fair. :)
I can see that you are heavily influenced by the radical left wing media, it's like you work for them.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I can see that you are heavily influenced by the radical left wing media, it's like you work for them.
In this sort of effort you are to honest evaluation what KFC is to Jenny Craig.

I see you're still silent on that response you asked for...can't say I blame you. At this point it's your best work.

WizardofOz

Ugly - I actually think Trump is being unfairly criticized for his Charlottesville comments. He condemned violence from all sides (all sides did engage in violence over legal protests) and later specifically called out neo-nazis and the KKK.

There is plenty to criticize when it comes to Trump but this seems desperate. What else is he supposed to say? :idunno:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Ugly - I actually think Trump is being unfairly criticized for his Charlottesville comments. He condemned violence from all sides (all sides did engage in violence over legal protests) and later specifically called out neo-nazis and the KKK.

There is plenty to criticize when it comes to Trump but this seems desperate. What else is he supposed to say? :idunno:

I have to disagree. Trump dithered for two days, then refused to condemn the white nationalists, then was corralled into reading prepared comments from a teleprompter condemning racist organizations by name, then did a full 180 and went back to his blame on all sides.

It sure looks to a lot of people that he sandwiched what he was forced into saying between saying what he knew his alt-right base wanted to hear. Which is why he got praise from the alt-right base and from white supremacists for his first and third comments.

He's known for fomenting and encouraging cut-throat competition among his employees as a businessman and his aides as president, part of the reason there's such chaos and infighting in the White House. It sure looks to me like he's encouraging divisiveness instead of unity in the country as a whole, because who's had time to talk about Russia since Charlottesville?

Athough I don't think Mueller has lost any momentum at all, so that train is still on its way to the station.

WizardofOz

I have to disagree. Trump dithered for two days, then refused to condemn the white nationalists, then was corralled into reading prepared comments from a teleprompter condemning racist organizations by name, then did a full 180 and went back to his blame on all sides.

I blame all sides and the neo-nazis and KKK specifically. However the counterprotesters certainly had their hand in the violence.

It sure looks to a lot of people that he sandwiched what he was forced into saying between saying what he knew his alt-right base wanted to hear. Which is why he got praise from the alt-right base and from white supremacists for his first and third comments.

He's known for fomenting and encouraging cut-throat competition among his employees as a businessman and his aides as president, part of the reason there's such chaos and infighting in the White House. It sure looks to me like he's encouraging divisiveness instead of unity in the country as a whole, because who's had time to talk about Russia since Charlottesville?

Athough I don't think Mueller has lost any momentum at all, so that train is still on its way to the station.

What else could he say at this point? He said what needed to be said in my opinion. All sides should share the blame, specifically the neo-nazis and the KKK elements that started it all.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I blame all sides and the neo-nazis and KKK specifically. However the counterprotesters certainly had their hand in the violence.

What else could he say at this point? He said what needed to be said in my opinion. All sides should share the blame, specifically the neo-nazis and the KKK elements that started it all.
How about, instead, "Everyone who used violence except in self defense or the defense of others should be prosecuted and I condemn that conduct. That said, there is no moral equivalency between those who promote racist, separatist views and those who oppose them. Racism and the division it breeds is a cancer on the national soul and I fundamentally and without reservation condemn it."

Because the appearance of equivalence is both wrong and impactful. And that's what he did in between the more robotic reading of someone else's talking-point, cover-your-posterior boilerplate.

That's what anna is getting at and I think any response that is singularly the first part of that without the latter is dangerously mistaken as positions go.

Danoh

Yep.

His old man and his mobbed up Tammany Hall politicians and corrupt financiers as pals were each like that, and he used to foment that sort of thing in his two sons, Robert and Donald.

It took it's toll on one of them, as he was simply not like the ever vainglorious "baser sort" the Donald has always been.

The Donald went on to never have a problem with viciously playing the various movers and shakers in New York against one another.

In this, he was never of any "party" other than whichever one served his interest at the moment.

His old man sure did a number on him.

Personally, his dis-administration's seemingly endless cutthroating and scandals does not surprise me in the least.

The man is making history as the worst President ever to (dis) grace The Oval Office.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No one suggested otherwise.
I didn't say anyone suggested otherwise.
I just agreed with his statement I quoted.

He completely missed the point, as I noted and as you do in high fiving a misread. Jesus wept...Grow up already.
I agreed with him that Jesus is my moral leader, not Trump.
And you want to tell me I need to grow up for agreeing with that?????
You need to get a clue!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
How about, instead, "Everyone who used violence except in self defense or the defense of others should be prosecuted and I condemn that conduct. That said, there is no moral equivalency between those who promote racist, separatist views and those who oppose them. Racism and the division it breeds is a cancer on the national soul and I fundamentally and without reservation condemn it."

Because the appearance of equivalence is both wrong and impactful. And that's what he did in between the more robotic reading of someone else's talking-point, cover-your-posterior boilerplate.

That's what anna is getting at and I think any response that is singularly the first part of that without the latter is dangerously mistaken as positions go.
I agree. I'm fine with Trump criticizing violence from both sides, but it should be made clear that one side is starting from a morally higher ground. He can condemn all violence but should stand with one side in principle. But he has to be wishy washy so he doesn't offend the white nationalist part of his base.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Yep.

His old man and his mobbed up Tammany Hall politicians and corrupt financiers as pals were each like that, and he used to foment that sort of thing in his two sons, Robert and Donald.

It took it's toll on one of them, as he was simply not like the ever vainglorious "baser sort" the Donald has always been.

The Donald went on to never have a problem with viciously playing the various movers and shakers in New York against one another.

In this, he was never of any "party" other than whichever one served his interest at the moment.

His old man sure did a number on him.

Personally, his dis-administration's seemingly endless cutthroating and scandals does not surprise me in the least.

The man is making history as the worst President ever to (dis) grace The Oval Office.

Agreed, these are the things I had in mind.

Except I only found out this week that his dad marched with the KKK.

I didn't know.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Yes, the moral equivalency is something that needs to be challenged, and he and the the alt-right are using it as leverage when there's no foundation for it.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

I blame the neo-Nazis, white supremacists, white nationalists, neo-fascists, alt-right (and many of those terms are overlapping) for marching for the reasons they did - they don't have any moral ground to stand on. I blame them for fomenting hate, for planning on violence, for hoping for it, for what they stand for... so much to say about that, but you get the idea.

The anti-marchers marched against the hateful ideology of the groups named above, and good for them. A distinction has to be made about violence in self-defense. I'm not a violent person myself but I'm not a pacifist either, and if someone attacked me I'd sure as hell fight back. Who were the aggressors here? That's a line of distinction that should be made before I'd make a blanket statement about "many sides."

Wiz, he mangled it so badly. He didn't say what needed to be said, until even his own GOP congress had to join in condemning his initial response. So then he's forced into the canned second response, but then his temperament wouldn't allow that to stand and he had to come back with unscripted 'true Trump' third time. Did you see him that day? He's unhinged.

Graham Responds To Trump Twitter Rant: ‘Please Fix This’

After President Donald Trump lashed out against Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) Thursday for criticizing Trump’s remarks about the violence in Charlottesville, Graham shot back.
During a rocky press conference on Tuesday, Trump said “not all of these people were neo-Nazis, believe me.” He also said people on the “alt-right” and the “alt-left” were to blame for the violence, even though it was a self-proclaimed white supremacist who allegedly drove his car into a crowd of counter-protesters and killed a woman named Heather Heyer.
Graham responded by saying he and many others do not support the “moral equivalency” the President made between the “white supremacist neo-Nazis and KKK members who attended the Charlottesville rally and people like Ms. Heyer.”
The President then lashed out on Graham on Twitter Thursday morning, calling the senator’s comments a “disgusting lie” and suggesting the people of South Carolina would remember what he said when Graham runs for reelection in 2020.
Graham responded by asking Trump to move the party in the correct direction.
“Mr. President, like most I seek to move our nation, my state and our party forward — toward the light — not back to the darkness,” he said, adding Trump’s tweet honoring Heyer was “very nice and appropriate. Well done.”
“However, because of the manner in which you handled the Charlottesville tragedy you are now receiving praise from some of the most racist and hate-filled individuals and groups in our country. For the sake of our nation — as our President — please fix this,” he said.

Danoh

Except the next day he said there are some very fine people. :doh:

Well, you know - kind of like what the phrase "a stand up guy" actually refers to, within the upside down world of Organized Crime.

And Trump's and that of his supporters is that also - an upside down world.

There is a thing that differs within their use of words like "good people."

Over to the bottom right of your screen commenting on it all...none other than Rod Serling.

Status
Not open for further replies.