Trump Sides With the Kremlin, Against the U.S. Government

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

In an astonishing news conference on Monday, President Trump, standing next to Vladimir Putin, rejected the overwhelming consensus among U.S. intelligence agencies that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election.

“They said, ‘I think it is Russia.’ I have President Putin. He just said it is not Russia,” Trump said in Helsinki after a two-hour private meeting with the Russian leader. “I will say this: I do not see any reason why it would be.”

Trump’s apparent willingness to take Putin’s word on the alleged interference coincides with a decline in U.S. relations with its closest allies around the world. Trump has criticized Canada, Mexico, and Europe on trade, NATO on defense, the U.K. government on its Brexit plan, and Germany and Sweden on immigration and crime. European capitals, especially, will have watched Monday’s meeting and subsequent news conference closely. Trump’s meeting last week with NATO allies was marked for its rancor.

Monday’s meeting with Putin was marked by far friendlier words.

“It seems to me that this is the summit that Putin was waiting for his entire life,” Alina Polyakova, an expert on Russia at the Brookings Institution in Washington, said in a conference call with reporters.

She added: “I think he completely set the agenda at the summit. It was telling that the U.S. president did not mention Ukraine or Crimea once. The U.S. president also didn’t mention U.S. sanctions and basically let the Russian president set the agenda on Syria and other items as well.”

Trump also deflected direct questions about Russia’s role in the 2016 elections, and declined to denounce Russia for interference when asked. Instead, he seemed to praise Putin. “I have great confidence in my intelligence people, but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial,” Trump said. When the Russian president was asked if he supported Trump during the election, he replied: “Yes, I did. Yes, I did. Because he talked about bringing the U.S.-Russia relationship back to normal.” He rejected any interference in the election process, however.

Trump boasted about the margin of his election victory over Hillary Clinton, the Democratic presidential nominee whom polls favored to win; reiterating his claim that the investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller into Russia’s actions and possible collusion between Trump’s presidential campaign and Russia was a “witch hunt” directed at him; and asking why the FBI “never took the [hacked] server” belonging to the Democratic National Committee.

“I really believe that this will probably go on for a while, but I do not think it can go on without finding out what happened to the server,” he said, adding: “Where are those servers? They are missing. What happened to Hillary Clinton’s emails, 30,000 emails .... just gone. In Russia they would not be gone so easily. It is a disgrace we cannot get Hillary Clinton’s 33,000 emails.”

The news conference capped a week of drama that led up to Monday’s summit meeting in Helsinki, the Finnish capital, between Trump and Putin. The meeting occurred just days after the U.S. Justice Department announced indictments against 12 Russian intelligence officers who are alleged to have hacked emails and computers of senior Democratic party officials in an attempt to interfere with the 2016 presidential election. The indictments, which are part of Mueller’s investigation into Russian hacking of the election, led to calls mainly from Democratic lawmakers for Trump to cancel his summit meeting with Putin.

But the U.S. president pressed ahead, reiterating his goal of improved relations with Russia. “Getting along with Russia is a good thing not a bad thing,” he said Monday ahead of his one-on-one meeting with Putin, who was seated beside him. That meeting was scheduled to last 45 minutes, but went on for more than two hours. Putin arrived more than 30 minutes late.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
James Comey:

"This was the day an American president stood on foreign soil next to a murderous lying thug and refused to back his own country. Patriots need to stand up and reject the behavior of this president."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
American hero Sally Yates:

"Our President today not only chose a tyrant over his own Intel community, he chose Russia’s interests over the country he is sworn to protect. All Americans should raise their voices. Let the world know what we stand for."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Chris Wallace:

Fox News' Chris Wallace says he tried to give Putin copy of Mueller indictment
by Naomi Lim | July 16, 2018 04:24 PM

Fox News anchor Chris Wallace said Monday Russian President Vladimir Putin refused to take a copy of special counsel Robert Mueller's indictment alleging 12 Russian military officers hacked into Democratic email servers when the pair sat down for an interview.

"I did something that I suspect President Trump did not do in their meeting," Wallace said, previewing his 35-minute discussion with Putin following the summit with Trump.

"I took the indictment, I had it in my hands, and I talked to him about what was in it," he continued. "The specific units in the GRU, the military intelligence unit of Russia, and that these were actors of the Russian state, and did he want to see it? And he said no, he wouldn't touch it."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
John Brennan:

"Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of 'high crimes & misdemeanors.' It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???"

The GOP is complicit.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Republican Party County Chair Chris Gagin:

"I remain a proud conservative and Republican, but I resigned today as Belmont Co Ohio GOP Chairman. I did so as a matter of conscience, and my sense of duty.The President is entitled to GOP party leaders, at all levels, fully committed to his views and agenda. Following today’s press conference with Pres. Putin, as well as certain policy differences, most especially on trade, I could no longer fulfill that duty. Thus, I resigned."

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
At Monday's summit, with Trump by his side, the Russian president admitted to the world that he wanted Trump to be the victor in the 2016 election. Here's the exchange, from the transcript:

REPORTER: “Did you want President Trump to win the election? And did you direct any of your officials to help him do that?”

PUTIN: “Yes, I did. Yes, I did. Because he talked about bringing the U.S.-Russia relationship back to normal.”

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
John McCain:

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ), Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, released the following statement today on President Trump’s meeting and press conference with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki:

“Today’s press conference in Helsinki was one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory. The damage inflicted by President Trump’s naiveté, egotism, false equivalence, and sympathy for autocrats is difficult to calculate. But it is clear that the summit in Helsinki was a tragic mistake.

“President Trump proved not only unable, but unwilling to stand up to Putin. He and Putin seemed to be speaking from the same script as the president made a conscious choice to defend a tyrant against the fair questions of a free press, and to grant Putin an uncontested platform to spew propaganda and lies to the world.

“It is tempting to describe the press conference as a pathetic rout – as an illustration of the perils of under-preparation and inexperience. But these were not the errant tweets of a novice politician. These were the deliberate choices of a president who seems determined to realize his delusions of a warm relationship with Putin’s regime without any regard for the true nature of his rule, his violent disregard for the sovereignty of his neighbors, his complicity in the slaughter of the Syrian people, his violation of international treaties, and his assault on democratic institutions throughout the world.

Coming close on the heels of President Trump’s bombastic and erratic conduct towards our closest friends and allies in Brussels and Britain, today’s press conference marks a recent low point in the history of the American Presidency. That the president was attended in Helsinki by a team of competent and patriotic advisors makes his blunders and capitulations all the more painful and inexplicable.

“No prior president has ever abased himself more abjectly before a tyrant. Not only did President Trump fail to speak the truth about an adversary; but speaking for America to the world, our president failed to defend all that makes us who we are—a republic of free people dedicated to the cause of liberty at home and abroad. American presidents must be the champions of that cause if it is to succeed. Americans are waiting and hoping for President Trump to embrace that sacred responsibility. One can only hope they are not waiting totally in vain.”

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Dan Coats:

DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE
WASHINGTON, DC 20511
July 16, 2018 Statement from DNI Coats

The role of the Intelligence Community is to provide the best information and fact-based assessments possible for the President and policymakers. We have been clear in our assessments of Russian meddling in the 2016 election and their ongoing, pervasive efforts to undermine our democracy, and we will continue to provide unvarnished and objective intelligence in support of our national security.

Daniel R. Coats, Director of National Intelligence

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
invasion-cartoon.jpg

If a Democratic President had conducted himself in such an outrageous manner, our conservative "friends" would be demanding his immediate impeachment - or worse!

Russian tanks could be rolling past the White House and Trump supporters would still continue to assert that it was all part of the President's plan for "Making America Great Again!"

Last edited:

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
there is no such threshold

actually, it was something far short of treasonous because we are not at war with russia :duh:

So with ok dopey, since there is no threshold no president can be found guilty of high crimes a misdeamnors, so apparently that portion of the Constitution is pointless. And I was unaware you could only be guilty of treason when actually at war.
I think the Cowardly Donald took care of that the other day when he said Russia was a "competitor", not a "foe".

Will be interesting to see how the evangelicals spin this. Donny's capitulation to the Communists in front of the whole world.

The school yard bully kissed the fanny of a bigger school yard bully.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
At Monday's summit, with Trump by his side, the Russian president admitted to the world that he wanted Trump to be the victor in the 2016 election. Here's the exchange, from the transcript:

REPORTER: “Did you want President Trump to win the election? And did you direct any of your officials to help him do that?”

PUTIN: “Yes, I did. Yes, I did. Because he talked about bringing the U.S.-Russia relationship back to normal.”

I heard it ... and wasn't surprised in the least. I am no longer naive enough to believe that there are actually any patriots left in the GOP who will put country above party.