Tolerance vs Godliness

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Chileice

You are right on OEJ. He had to be with them rather then condemn them from some distant ivory tower. There is a judgement, but he came to rub shoulders with us so that we could see we are loved and so that we would repent.
Don't forget that He showed us our need to repent, also. If He had not, we wouldn't have. And He did the same with the sinners He ate with.

Ecumenicist

Originally posted by lighthouse

Idiot.

How's that for ad hominem?

Anyway...seriously:eek:, what makes you think I'm this way? Do you not realize that less than a year ago I was just like you? My beliefs have changed, Chileice. Because of scripture. Tolerance is not Christ-like. And it never was.

If Christ were intolerant, you would have had no hope. No
one would.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Dave will prolly ask this witch to come be a guest speaker at his church building if he hasn't already.

Chileice

Originally posted by Dave Miller

If Christ were intolerant, you would have had no hope. No
one would.
Originally posted by John (John 7)
The Unbelief of Jesus' Brothers
1 After this, Jesus traveled in Galilee, since He did not want to travel in Judea because the Jews were trying to kill Him. 2 The Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, 3 so His brothers said to Him, "Leave here and go to Judea so Your disciples can see Your works that You are doing. 4 For no one does anything in secret while he's seeking public recognition. If You do these things, show Yourself to the world." 5 (For not even His brothers believed in Him.)
6 Jesus told them, "My time has not yet arrived, but your time is always at hand. 7 The world cannot hate you, but it does hate Me because I testify about itthat its deeds are evil. 8 Go up to the festival yourselves. I'm not going up to the festival yet, because My time has not yet fully come." 9 After He had said these things, He stayed in Galilee.

Kind of interesting, isn't it, that Jesus' own brothers didn't believe him at first. But Jesus didn't toast them. He had patience and they later became James, the early head of the church and Jude. Hmmm, maybe the patience method has some merits.

Now isn't this intersting in the very next chapter:

Originally posted by John (John 8)
Jesus the Light of the World
1 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
2Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. 3Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4they said to Him, "Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?" 6This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear.
7So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." 8And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, "Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?"
11She said, "No one, Lord."
And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."
12Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

I can just hear some TOLers yelling: chop her head off!! Nuke her, Jesus! You have to follow the OT law if you are God, let's get a pile of rocks! But you know, Jesus didn't lop her head off or stone her or anything else. He gave her a chance to change. He didn't even lop off the head of the disgraceful pighead that was having an affair with her... probably he seduced her to set up a trap for Jesus... what a disgraceful twit. But Jesus didn't go after him. Yes, he was tough on sin, but he was gentle with the sinners.

He was even gentle with the Pharisees becaus ehe had the power to destroy them. They were trying to kill him. He could have acted in legitimate self-defence. Still, he was patient with them, hoping that some would come to faith. And you know what? Many did. Look at these verses:
Originally posted by John
John 11.45 Then many of the Jews who had come to Mary, and had seen the things Jesus did, believed in Him. 46 But some of them went away to the Pharisees and told them the things Jesus did.

All through John we see an increasing number of Jews coming to him, even members of the Pharisees like Nicodemus. Then after his death we see this:
Originally posted by Luke
Acts 6

7 And the word of God increased; and the number of the disciples multiplied in Jerusalem greatly; and a great company of the priests were obedient to the faith.

Now what if Jesus had just nuked all those no good rotten priests who led him to the cross? What about Saul? That scum-sucking Christian hater. He should have been eliminated for he was far more than a first-time offender. But God was patient and allowed him the time to repent. Will all repent? Heavens no! But do you and I know who will and who won't? We don't have a clue. So Dave is right on. And Dave is serious, Lighthouse. I'm sorry you don't take the scripture as seriously as he appears to. I'm sorry you let yourself get on board the satanic train of vengeance and hate. You were better off a year ago. How can so many be led astray by such an evil plot?

Yes, love is greater than tolerance. But tolerance is a Christian virtue... a Christ-like virtue. Jesus was the most tolerant man who walked the earth. He was perfection surrounded by a sea of imperfection and yet he tolerated it and loved us. He was power personified and yet he did not use it to beat anyone into submission. If Christ were intolerant... you would have no hope. I would have no hope. Hopelessness would reign supreme.

:help:

firechyld

lighthouse....

Anyone else agree with Zakath? That I'm dim?

You're a bright kid. But you act dim sometimes. That's why it's so frustrating when you do your "dense" routine... you're not actually stupid.

Chileice ...

You have an inflated view of your own ideas. You rarely look beyond the surface of the issue, you often resort to ad homenims and you comment on absolutely everything which makes most of your comments virtually meaningless. If you listened better, spoke less and didn't take yourself so seriously... others would. So maybe not dim as in stupid, but dim as in unwise.

lighthouse....

Idiot.

How's that for ad hominem?

Anyway...seriously, what makes you think I'm this way? Do you not realize that less than a year ago I was just like you? My beliefs have changed, Chileice. Because of scripture. Tolerance is not Christ-like. And it never was.

This is exactly the kind of thing that irks me. Chileice had some good advice for you there. Improving your communication skills hardly makes you change your beliefs... but it does stop you coming across as a jerk.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Christ did not tolerate sin. And He called sinners out. Are you all blind to this fact?!

Free-Agent Smith

I have never claimed to be innocent. I have been punished for my crimes. What makes you think that vengence and justice are the same thing?

Yes, a few have died for their first offence and I am sorry they couldn't control themselves enough before they commited the crime. I stood shoulder to shoulder with one guy, who happened to be white, that murdered another guy for being hispanic. He is now serving a 30 year sentence. Should he have been put to death? Yes. Why? Because he shot the man in the back of the head with a shotgun in a cornfield in the middle of the night without any provocation. My opinion isn't based on vengence. It's justice for the young man who died that night. Why should we keep the murderer alive? Why should citizens like me be forced to pay for the comforts of a prison cell for this man to live in for 30 years?

And just where do you think they should be?
Why should we keep murderers alive or on death row for more than a day? I ask these questions because to me, your point makes no sense.

Free-Agent Smith

Originally posted by Free-Agent Smith

And just out of curiosity, chilice, do you think that Charlse Manson, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Albert Fish, Jim Jones, Gary Ridgeway, Robert Hanson, Henry Lee Lucas, David Berkowitz, Jeffery Dahmer, Richard Ramirez and dozens of other murderers like them should be, or have been, kept alive too?
I thought maybe you missed my posts to you.

logos_x

Brandon

What has gotten into you? You won't even hear what Cheleice has to say?

It has nothing to do with being right, or being wrong. It has to do with being who you are, in Him. And you aren't acting like yourself.
It doesn't ring true, and you come across as one of the hypocrites you are so fond of rebuking.

You become what you focus on.
If you can communicate without being an inconsiderate boob, then why act like one?
And don't try the "Jesus did it" bit....that dog won't hunt.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by logos_x

Brandon

What has gotten into you? You won't even hear what Cheleice has to say?

It has nothing to do with being right, or being wrong. It has to do with being who you are, in Him. And you aren't acting like yourself.
It doesn't ring true, and you come across as one of the hypocrites you are so fond of rebuking.

You become what you focus on.
If you can communicate without being an inconsiderate boob, then why act like one?
And don't try the "Jesus did it" bit....that dog won't hunt.
I have heard so much of what Chileice has said. I agree with him at times, but he's ignoring the truth, here. I used to believe exactly what he does. I now know I was wrong. I will not run form sinners, but I won't tolerate sin, either. And if they don't care about the truth, I'll shake the dust from my feet. I thought I knew who I was in Christ, but I was so farr off. Then I saw the scriptures that contradicted me. And I felt so free. I am dead to sin. The plank has been removed from my eye. And I can now see clearly to remove the speck from my brother's eye.

Chileice

I have never claimed to be innocent. I have been punished for my crimes. What makes you think that vengence and justice are the same thing?

Yes, a few have died for their first offence and I am sorry they couldn't control themselves enough before they commited the crime. I stood shoulder to shoulder with one guy, who happened to be white, that murdered another guy for being hispanic. He is now serving a 30 year sentence. Should he have been put to death? Yes. Why? Because he shot the man in the back of the head with a shotgun in a cornfield in the middle of the night without any provocation. My opinion isn't based on vengence. It's justice for the young man who died that night. Why should we keep the murderer alive? Why should citizens like me be forced to pay for the comforts of a prison cell for this man to live in for 30 years?

And just where do you think they should be?
Why should we keep murderers alive or on death row for more than a day? I ask these questions because to me, your point makes no sense.

Sorry for the delay but I have been quite busy. TOL is a fill in when I can thing. I don't think we are too far apart except on the death penalty. I don't think punishment is vengeance necessarily. But it can be. I think lots of times the death penalty is applied in cases in response to an overwhelming cry for vengeance. And I think it can be applied capriciously. And the worst part... if you are wrong, there is no recourse.

I don't think my tax dollars should be the driving force behind keeping a person alive. If that is the case, then abortion makes sense and so does euthanasia. It is certainly cheaper to abort than to support a welfare baby. And WAY cheaper to knock off some old grandpa before he sucks up my tax dollars on his long-term illness. The amount spent on keeping a few people in prison for the lon-term is nothing compared to what is spent on welfare and SS. But that is NOT a reason to allow abortion or euthanasia. At least it isn't for a pro-life person like myself.

God has saved many people in prison. Sometimes a man or woman has to come to the end of the rope before they allow God any room in their lives. There will be judgement for those who take the lives of another... even the life of a criminal. Life is sacred and I am not God. I will leave the determination of life and death to Him.

Chileice

I thought maybe you missed my posts to you.

As far as all those mass-murderers go... I certainly have a hard time letting them live. I am for them living based on principle.... not on any warm feeling I have toward them. I too am tempted to let my desire for vengeance get the best of me. But I still think letting them live is the God-honoring thing to do.

Chileice

I have heard so much of what Chileice has said. I agree with him at times, but he's ignoring the truth, here. I used to believe exactly what he does. I now know I was wrong. I will not run form sinners, but I won't tolerate sin, either. And if they don't care about the truth, I'll shake the dust from my feet. I thought I knew who I was in Christ, but I was so farr off. Then I saw the scriptures that contradicted me. And I felt so free. I am dead to sin. The plank has been removed from my eye. And I can now see clearly to remove the speck from my brother's eye.

When I was young, I let my zealouness ruin my relationship with my brother. He got into a cult group and I got into a very strict discipleship fellowship. We couldn't get together without argueing. So I just didn't get together with him. Later after I got out of college, got done criticizing all the luke-warm churches, got done trying to correct the whole world for how they could not be discipling everyone exactly how I was taught, I began to get in touch with my brother again. We had set up a time to get together for Christmas at my uncle's home and to spend a couple of weeks together and rebuild the relationship and actually enjoy one another again.

Well, it never happened. He was killed before it happened. The nice long letter I had written him was sitting by the door stamped and ready to go to the post office when my wife and I got the call. You see, lighthouse, you can love people even if you don't agree. And you had better well come to understand that before you have to live with the regret of being a hard-nose jerk in the name of God. The weird thing is, he had gotten out of the cult.... without my help. All my hardness did was ruin a relationship with someone I loved, and nothing can bring that back, not even all the "right doctrine" in the world. That's why I even bother with you, lighthouse. Because I see a lot of me in you. And I would love to help you avoid the amazing heartache of being right and killing love.
2 Corinthians 3
Christ's Epistle
The New Covenant Written on Hearts
1 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? Or do we need, as some others, epistles of commendation to you or letters of commendation from you? 2 You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3 clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart.

The Spirit, Not the Letter
4 And we have such trust through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, 6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Maybe in this context, these verses will make sense to you. The letter can kill. In many things I was right, even back in college. But my spirit was hard-edged and cold and looking for a fight. That made the letter kill. When my spirit changed the same letter can now be shared in a life-giving way. Something to consider, my friend.

Aimiel

Originally posted by Chileice

As far as all those mass-murderers go... I certainly have a hard time letting them live. I am for them living based on principle.... not on any warm feeling I have toward them. I too am tempted to let my desire for vengeance get the best of me. But I still think letting them live is the God-honoring thing to do.
How is it 'God-honoring' to ignore His Word: "He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death." We have glorified murder to the point that children are committing murder, and people are getting away with murder. OJ Simpson and Bill Clinton are two of the most glaring examples. Letting people walk, who we know are guilty of murder is our fault, for not prosecuting them with everything possible to get them to justice.