toldailytopic: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker: Hero or zero?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 11th, 2011 10:26 AM

toldailytopic: Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker: Hero or zero?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, fulfilling commitments he made during the campaign to change the way state government functions, has apparently won the fight to limit the collective bargaining ability of state employees.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...ott-walkers-victory-will-spur-other-governors

In the way I could win an arm wrestling contest with Jack. Yeah. Or the way Stalin won all the battles he had with his political rivals. Sure. :D

I think Wisconsin is going to get what it's asking for. So let's hope they like it. I rate him as a Wallace (no, the other one) sized two out of ten.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He's a heightened leader. But with all the low scum that inhabits most people in politics, that's not saying much. In the end, it won't help because he doesn't really have a good foundation to the few good things he does.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hero!!!!! :the_wave:

"For the first time in my life I can be proud of my" state.

--Superior Dave

ps. from Superior Wisconsin

Cracked

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Ronald Reagan

Now, I wonder what will happen if all these tea partyers get there way? How long will workers have to fight again to establish the rights that they had already fought for a generation ago? The government will strip the people of fair treatment with their support - and that is the amazing and disguising thing! And, some time from now all the people will look around with troubled faces and go, "wow, well I didn't think it would be like this!" - and they will have to start all over again. No, that's not true - their children will. Sad, sad, sad...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Ronald Reagan

Now, I wonder what will happen if all these tea partyers get there way? How long will workers have to fight again to establish the rights that they had already fought for a generation ago? The government will strip the people of fair treatment with their support - and that is the amazing and disguising thing! And, some time from now all the people will look around with troubled faces and go, "wow, well I didn't think it would be like this!" - and they will have to start all over again. No, that's not true - their children will. Sad, sad, sad...

You defile the Body of Christ. It is what comes out of you. Good thing the Father doesn't see it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
In a perverse sort of way, a hero to the union movement. He single-handedly stopped the drive to abolish collective bargaining in all the other GOP-held states.

And he's educated Wisconsin as to the benefits of electing a tea-party republican to high office.

No one is useless; they can always serve as a bad example.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Time will tell if this guy is a hero or not. It is a step in the right direction. Public employee Unions are helping to suck this country dry.

I am not wholly opposed to Unions, but I am opposed to some of the tactics they use. The Public employee Union has spun out of control. Congressmen and Governors have been scooping way too much out of the public larder for far too long.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The guy is a HERO, the taxpayers should not be on the hook to Govt. employees which in most cases have better pay and benefits than the taxpayers who pat their salary. The pay and benefits need to come back to earth and align with private sector. I would love to see this in CA but, alas it is the lefty coast and the democrats would never destroy their biggest voting base.

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
This is interesting...

You have to remember that Reagan was nothing like the frootloops carrying racist signs and spewing hatred at tea party rallies. Conservatism has been derailed in favor of whoever can hate the most.

Not that there aren't still Reagan republicans around. But they are being quickly purged by the idiots running the party now.

Hero.

Remember R.R. and the Air Traffic Controllers Union? Same thing.

For you and the other right wing nutters praising Walker, here's some food for thought:

"These are the values inspiring those brave workers in Poland … They remind us that where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost."

The dirty lefty scumsucking commie who said it? Your boy Reagan, in pre-senile 1980. If your deific sockpuppet isn't authority enough, here's the father of the market, good old Adam Smith, who in prescient fashion lays forth the scenario we see playing out all over the country today:

I.8.11

What are the common wages of labour, depends every where upon the contract usually made between those two parties, whose interests are by no means the same. The workmen desire to get as much, the masters to give as little as possible. The former are disposed to combine in order to raise, the latter in order to lower the wages of labour.
I.8.12

It is not, however, difficult to foresee which of the two parties must, upon all ordinary occasions, have the advantage in the dispute, and force the other into a compliance with their terms. The masters, being fewer in number, can combine much more easily; and the law, besides, authorises, or at least does not prohibit their combinations,*10 while it prohibits those of the workmen.*11 We have no acts of parliament against combining to lower the price of work; but many against combining to raise it. In all such disputes the masters can hold out much longer. A landlord, a farmer, a master manufacturer, or merchant, though they did not employ a single workman, could generally live a year or two upon the stocks which they have already acquired. Many workmen could not subsist a week, few could subsist a month, and scarce any a year without employment. In the long-run the workman may be as necessary to his master as his master is to him, but the necessity is not so immediate.
I.8.13

We rarely hear, it has been said, of the combinations of masters, though frequently of those of workmen. But whoever imagines, upon this account, that masters rarely combine, is as ignorant of the world as of the subject. Masters are always and every where in a sort of tacit, but constant and uniform combination, not to raise the wages of labour above their actual rate. To violate this combination is every where a most unpopular action, and a sort of reproach to a master among his neighbours and equals. We seldom, indeed, hear of this combination, because it is the usual, and one may say, the natural state of things which nobody ever hears of. Masters too sometimes enter into particular combinations to sink the wages of labour even below this rate. These are always conducted with the utmost silence and secrecy, till the moment of execution, and when the workmen yield, as they sometimes do, without resistance, though severely felt by them, they are never heard of by other people. Such combinations, however, are frequently resisted by a contrary defensive combination of the workmen; who sometimes too, without any provocation of this kind, combine of their own accord to raise the price of their labour. Their usual pretences*12 are, sometimes the high price of provisions; sometimes the great profit which their masters make by their work. But whether their combinations be offensive or defensive, they are always abundantly heard of. In order to bring the point to a speedy decision, they have always recourse to the loudest clamour, and sometimes to the most shocking violence and outrage. They are desperate, and act with the folly and extravagance of desperate men, who must either*13 starve, or frighten their masters into an immediate compliance with their demands. The masters upon these occasions are just as clamorous upon the other side, and never cease to call aloud for the assistance of the civil magistrate, and the rigorous execution of those laws which have been enacted with so much severity against the combinations of servants, labourers, and journeymen. The workmen, accordingly, very seldom derive any advantage from the violence of those tumultuous combinations, which, partly from the interposition of the civil magistrate, partly from the superior steadiness of the masters, partly from the necessity which the greater part of the workmen are under of submitting for the sake of present subsistence, generally end in nothing, but the punishment or ruin of the ringleaders.

In case that was too long for some of you, I'll summarize. Unions are a fundamental part of a market economy, a necessary counterbalance to industry for the price of labor to be efficient. Wealthy business will constantly vilify attempts of labor to organize in order to extract as much as they can from unions, breaking the labor market. It doesn't get much more anti-market (to say nothing of anti-democratic) than unionbusting, as any of you clowns would know if you actually had troubled yourself to learn any economics, instead of parroting right-wing talking heads.

In other words, the republican party has tilted so far crazy right that they make Reagan, who was nutty far right, look like a lefty pinko commie. In fact, they've gone so far right that they've wrapped the field and wound up on the extreme left, defying the economic system they claim to uphold. Walker, an elected official, is engaged in command-economy (read: communist) pricing, and is deliberately trying to break the Wisconsin labor market, and you 'pro-market' idiots are cheering him on like he's the second coming. Are there any right-wingers around these parts who got their political/economic 'education' somewhere other than Fox? Serious question.

I hope (and suspect) that you're going to get your behinds handed to you in 2012. Maybe then this tea party insanity will finally subside. Cutting spending in the worst recession since the Great Depression? Absofricklutely brilliant. But hey, if it helps get your party elected, who cares about the country? Really, though, suddenly pretending we care about fiscal responsibility just is not going to be enough to get us elected, after how bad we screwed up last time around. Let's make the deficits worse by cutting taxes, and give out billions of dollars to companies already making record profits, so they'll contribute to our campaign coffers! BOOYAH! :bang:

PL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.