toldailytopic: Why did God create pests such as mosquitoes and flies?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 17th, 2011 08:50 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Newman

or weeds, mice, fleas, ticks, poison ivy/oak, thorns, sticker bushes, Paul Krugman, splinters, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, fire ants...

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
To puke on our daily bread

To provide jobs in fly swatter factories

To turn some people yellow [other than Chinese]

To land on your nose if you are watching too much telly

To help with the distribution of cow pats [so they can puke it on to our daily bread]

to give an early warning that you are about to step in something when they all fly up in your face.

To make cows swish their tails

To create maggots for people to fish with

Larn Pharoah to let God's people go

to encourage spiders to spin cobwebs in the corner

to give frogs something to do o their lilypads

Last edited:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is important to remember in a discussion like this that the devil doesn't create. Some people have attributed creatures like pests to Satan. When asking questions like this we also have to keep into consideration we are dealing with a decaying world with sin in it. Mosquitoes and flies were probably vegetarian before sin entered into the world. Creatures did not inflict suffering on one another or Man. Before sin there was no death or disease. When sin entered in it gave birth to suffering and death for all of creation.

Romans 8:21-23

Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Flies and Mosquitoes probably serviced and fed off of plants before sin came into the world.

Ted L Glines

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 17th, 2011 08:50 AM

For the same reason that God created telemarketers, JWs, and Anderson Cooper -- to test your ability to remain cool in the face of offensive things :sigh:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There was surely no good reason to create cockroaches....

...surely! :noid:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned

God created mosquitoes and flies, but not pests. Pests were created by man in Genesis 3:6. Genesis 3:7 may as well read, "Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew that mosquitoes and flies were pests; and they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves flyswatters."

:)

Dr.Watson

Such questions may seem silly to those well educated, but to biblical literal'ists , I'm sure these types of questions seem very serious and plague the mind daily. I pity those who are forced to contemplate such things, theologically. What a burden.

John Mortimer

These things were never created by God in the forms we see; they are the result of distortion of the Divine design by the collective human consciousness.

John Mortimer

The response, "ecosystem" is no response at all in my view.

Was it beyond the creative power and imagination of God to create an ecosystem with creatures more pleasant? Of course not!

So that brings us back to the original question...........

elohiym

The response, "ecosystem" is no response at all in my view.

I should have elaborated, I guess.

When an animal dies, flies land on the carcass and in time maggots clean up the mess and help return the carcass to the earth to fertilize plants, showing that the fly is essential to the ecosystem.

Seemed self-evident to me. :idunno:

Son of Jack

Such questions may seem silly to those well educated, but to biblical literal'ists , I'm sure these types of questions seem very serious and plague the mind daily. I pity those who are forced to contemplate such things, theologically. What a burden.

Oh, I've wasted so much time....:doh:

:p