toldailytopic: Who was the best US President of all-time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The ‘Best’ Presidents
Posted by Lew Rockwell on July 4, 2010 09:22 AM
Every survey of power-worshiping presidential scholars gets it wrong. Indeed, you can almost turn it around, since the worst presidents are the criminals Roosevelt II, Roosevelt I, Lincoln, etc., and the best are men like Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, and my favorite, Warren G. Harding. Did you leave a mountain of skulls and more federal power as your legacy? Why, how great you are. Did you refuse to enhance federal power or to start a war? Why, the heck with you. (Thanks to David Kramer)

:up:
Numbering Lincoln among the worst will get you labeled as a racist by many, but he certainly grabbed power that the constitution didn't grant. I am with you on FDR and as I think about it probably Teddy too, though I haven't studied him too much in the last 30 years.

bybee

What!

What!

ABRAHAM LINCOLN

cause he made the most movies of his life and death

and sent the darkies up here to Cananananananada.:)

The Native Nations of Canada must have wondered who sent the whities to take over their beloved land.
If your post was a joke it is in very poor taste.
If you are serious you are an unmitigated fancy dan dweeb!
bybee

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Though he left the presidency in 1953 with a 22 percent approval rating

Harry S.
"The Buck Stops Here"
Truman

drbrumley

Numbering Lincoln among the worst will get you labeled as a racist by many, but he certainly grabbed power that the constitution didn't grant. I am with you on FDR and as I think about it probably Teddy too, though I haven't studied him too much in the last 30 years.

Oh I know this all to well. I am a racist to many even though I am hardly one, but what can you do? I do believe the problems we have today in this country as far as our Federal Government is concerned started with that man. And now the Lincoln cult is fully established.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
...except for World War I, the League of Nations, the income tax, vile racism, and egomania. Yeah.
Quite, except for the income tax which is a good idea.

One should note that Wilson's policies that got us out of the not-so-great depression were more by accident than on purpose. Wilson was at a low because of the war and the deficit and felt that a heavy hand of gov't in response to the depression would make his legacy worse. And his policies of hands off were going to be reversed by Harding, but the depression was over before Harding got a chance to create and implement a "stimulus".

Mentioning Wilson as a great president is a good way to highlight the proper course that gov't could take today to help the economy.

drbrumley

Quite, except for the income tax which is a good idea.

One should note that Wilson's policies that got us out of the not-so-great depression were more by accident than on purpose. Wilson was at a low because of the war and the deficit and felt that a heavy hand of gov't in response to the depression would make his legacy worse. And his policies of hands off were going to be reversed by Harding, but the depression was over before Harding got a chance to create and implement a "stimulus".

Mentioning Wilson as a great president is a good way to highlight the proper course that gov't could take today to help the economy.

The Income Tax was a good idea? Surely you jest!

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Income Tax was a good idea? Surely you jest!
... and don't call me Shirley.

In truth, the income tax is the only tax. Sticking with the OP, this is one reason none of the presidents have been particularly great. All of them have fixed symptoms, but the foundational problems of the country should have been fixed, somewhere, sometime, somehow, by some great president. But that has never happened.

Krsto

Prohibition Wilson? Segregation Wilson?
The first POTUS to use jack-booted thugs to intimidate the public?

That fascist was the worst Prez ever.

Just when I was beginning to like Wilson you throw in this. Thanks a lot.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Prohibition Wilson? Segregation Wilson?
The first POTUS to use jack-booted thugs to intimidate the public?

That fascist was the worst Prez ever.
Quite, except for the income tax which is a good idea, Wilson was one of the worst presidents ever. The remark was more of a satirical comment but you'd have to know my posts to understand that. I realize it's my fault if you didn't get it.

Wilson's policies that got us out of the not-so-great depression. But those policies were more by accident than on purpose. Wilson was at a low because of the war and the deficit, and felt that a heavy hand of gov't in response to the depression would make his legacy worse. And his policies of hands off were going to be reversed by Harding, but the depression was over before Harding got a chance to create and implement a "stimulus".

drbrumley

Quite, except for the income tax which is a good idea, Wilson was one of the worst presidents ever. The remark was more of a satirical comment but you'd have to know my posts to understand that. I realize it's my fault if you didn't get it.

Wilson's policies that got us out of the not-so-great depression. But those policies were more by accident than on purpose. Wilson was at a low because of the war and the deficit, and felt that a heavy hand of gov't in response to the depression would make his legacy worse. And his policies of hands off were going to be reversed by Harding, but the depression was over before Harding got a chance to create and implement a "stimulus".

:hammer:

I hoping this is a sarcastic post from Yorzhik, but I am not really sure!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.