toldailytopic: Who was the best US President of all-time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 27th, 2010 12:25 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Who was the best US President of all-time?

There are so many ways to slice this...:think: I'll go with Washington, because he could have been a monarch and wasn't and because of the example he set for those who followed.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
William Henry Harrison

He was only in office for 31 days and most of that time he was sick. He wasn't around long enough to really muck anything up!!

Last edited:

grit

Jefferson and Polk got the U.S. the most land... well, if you don't count Lincoln - not that that's any indication of bestness, though it seems to enter prominently into many such discussions outside of Britain.

The Berean

There have been many, many historical polls, academic polls, and research studies done on this subject. This wiki page here summarizes all the polls.

drbrumley

The ‘Best’ Presidents
Posted by Lew Rockwell on July 4, 2010 09:22 AM
Every survey of power-worshiping presidential scholars gets it wrong. Indeed, you can almost turn it around, since the worst presidents are the criminals Roosevelt II, Roosevelt I, Lincoln, etc., and the best are men like Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, and my favorite, Warren G. Harding. Did you leave a mountain of skulls and more federal power as your legacy? Why, how great you are. Did you refuse to enhance federal power or to start a war? Why, the heck with you. (Thanks to David Kramer)

:up:

drbrumley

In my time, I would say Reagen was the best one. At least he was smart enough not to get bogged down in Lebanon.

Even though I detest the office of the president

Granite

Hall of Fame
Best?

I don’t believe any one chief executive has realized the original intent of the founders because each founder envisioned a completely different kind of president. Some more than others embody qualities that are quintessentially American and undeniably admirable.

Personally? I’m a fan of Jefferson’s for his brilliance and vision, Cleveland for his honesty and doggedness, Teddy for his trust busting, Coolidge for his recognition of the office’s limitations, and JFK for saving us from World War III. The perennial easy favorites of Washington, Lincoln, and FDR are all well and good, but these happen to be the men I admire most who held the office. (Of course Jefferson, JFK, and even Cleveland had numerous personal peccadilloes, Teddy was an unfortunate imperialist, and Coolidge...well. I really can’t say I’ve ever found much to dislike about Cal.)

Tico

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 27th, 2010 12:25 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Coolidge.

He did little and said less.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Considering a mix of ideals and action, The guys on Rushmore and Reagan.

The worst are FDR, LBJ, Carter and now Obama.

Even though I detest the office of the president

So does Karl. And you just think about that for a minute.

Buzzword

Any and all do-nothing presidents.

I say that having lived through far too many "remake the office in mine own image" presidents, who were too busy putting their personal agendas into practice to let the country RECOVER from the previous president's personal agenda.

And that in just 25 years.

Any guys who just got elected, signed a few impactless bills into law, and sat back enjoying being president are high up on my list at the moment.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Any guys who just got elected, signed a few impactless bills into law, and sat back enjoying being president are high up on my list at the moment.

Strangely, many people say that, then talk down to Gerald Ford.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Washington....all down hill from there. :plain:

I've even got Stuarts "Athenaeum" hanging in my living room.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wilson is looking better and better as this economy falls into malaise.

drbrumley

Considering a mix of ideals and action, The guys on Rushmore and Reagan.

:sigh: Washington ok, jefferson ok. The other two were tyrants.

The worst are FDR, LBJ, Carter and now Obama.

Bad for sure.

So does Karl. And you just think about that for a minute.

Think about what Nick? Maybe thats why he was basically the President of the Soviet Union. Or dictator, or tyrant or whatever else you want to call him.

OMEGA

ABRAHAM LINCOLN

cause he made the most movies of his life and death

and sent the darkies up here to Cananananananada.:)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The collective speaks bad about a Chief Executive, to which God appoints to lead and enforce but not change any rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.