toldailytopic: Who is to blame when we do hurtful things to each other? Ourself? God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 15th, 2010 08:39 AM

toldailytopic: Who is to blame when we do hurtful things to each other? Ourself? God? The Devil? (generally speaking of course)

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We have many friends that attend a Calvary Chapel nearby and it seems to be a real solid church. They share many of our same views especially on things such as abortion, homosexuality etc.

But one thing is curious to me.... they blame almost everything on the Devil. "Oooo the Devil is really getting the best of me today" they might say. Or "The Devil is winning the battle today", etc.

It's almost like they think the Devil is micromanaging their lives.

And then there are the Calvinists that I know and they blame everything on God. Everything is some type of "test" to them. "God must have wanted me to learn a lesson" or "I don't know what I did to God to deserve that." etc. etc.

They are BOTH wrong.

On balance... the dumb things we do.... are by our own doing! With our own freewill. We are fallen men and we have a tendency to hurt one another and do stupid things. That's why God wants us to lean on Him. If we do lean on Him He will direct our paths, if we don't lean on Him He WILL NOT direct our paths and we will do dumb things.

Last edited:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
we are to blame
and
I do believe the purpose of this life is to see how we treat each other
and
if you can't get along, sooner or later you won't have to

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:plain: We are to blame for our own choices/actions....always.

The Enemy can influence our decisions if we choose to listen to him but the choice still belongs to us ....always. The accuser is no more to blame for our own actions than a foolish acquaintance who's council we are foolish enough to regard.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We, as individuals, are to blame for any action we take that we KNOW may cause harm.

Buzzword

In general, I agree with what's already been said.

However, how does this question apply to suicide?
Is it really the act of a just and loving God to sentence someone, who driven by their circumstances and personal weakness to depression and ultimately devaluing themselves to the point of thinking their death won't matter, to eternal torment?

Buzzword

are you really asking who is responsible when you commit suicide?

Responsibility and blame are not the same thing.

"Responsibility" implies maturity, and an internal choice.

"Blame" implies judgment, someone deciding someone ELSE is guilty of a crime.

The OP asked WHO IS TO BLAME?

My question is along the same lines, and given that blanket statements have already been thrown I felt the need to point out this issue which doesn't logically seem to be covered by the "free will" blanket.

Also apparently within the same category as suicide are crimes of passion, in which no forethought was given and the individual simply reacted to an outburst of emotion.

Does God judge the serial killer and the drunken assailant the same?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
In general, I agree with what's already been said.

However, how does this question apply to suicide?
Is it really the act of a just and loving God to sentence someone, who driven by their circumstances and personal weakness to depression and ultimately devaluing themselves to the point of thinking their death won't matter, to eternal torment?
I thought you said you agreed with what has been said on this thread? Suicide isn't caused by God or the devil. It's us giving up and giving in to our own weaknesses and not leaning on God and letting Him direct our paths.

Buzzword

I thought you said you agreed with what has been said on this thread? Suicide isn't caused by God or the devil. It's us giving up and giving in to our own weaknesses and not leaning on God and letting Him direct our paths.

But where does that fall in the blame game?

Does God toss a depressed teen who OD'ed on pills because daddy hit her into hell?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
But where does that fall in the blame game?
With us!

Does God toss a depressed teen who OD'ed on pills because daddy hit her into hell?
God doesn't toss ANYONE into hell.

God is a gentlemen. Heaven is for those that want to be with God. Hell is a place for those who want to be without God. We make our own choices, and God doesn't force His love on anyone.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Responsibility and blame are not the same thing.

"Responsibility" implies maturity, and an internal choice.

"Blame" implies judgment, someone deciding someone ELSE is guilty of a crime.

The OP asked WHO IS TO BLAME?

My question is along the same lines, and given that blanket statements have already been thrown I felt the need to point out this issue which doesn't logically seem to be covered by the "free will" blanket.

Also apparently within the same category as suicide are crimes of passion, in which no forethought was given and the individual simply reacted to an outburst of emotion.

Does God judge the serial killer and the drunken assailant the same?

didn't realize you could separate responsibility and blame

can you give us some examples?

Buzzword

Knight said:
God doesn't toss ANYONE into hell.

God is a gentlemen. Heaven is for those that want to be with God. Hell is a place for those who want to be without God. We make our own choices, and God doesn't force His love on anyone.

The girl who kills herself because she has been abused and feels worthless does not even consider God.
All she knows is that she feels like her life is worth nothing, therefore her death is no loss to the world.

She doesn't want to be without God, because God is not part of her emotional equation in this scenario.

You still haven't answered my question, nor have you addressed the scenario I presented.

chrysostom said:
didn't realize you could separate responsibility and blame

can you give us some examples?

Responsibility is what I the perpetrator take.
If I hit someone with my car, I take responsibility for doing so and accept the consequences.

Blame is given to the possible perpetrator by someone else.
If a woman gets hit by a car, she blames the person she think perpetrated the action.

Responsibility is taken.
Blame is given.
Simple difference, really.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The girl who kills herself because she has been abused and feels worthless does not even consider God.
All she knows is that she feels like her life is worth nothing, therefore her death is no loss to the world.

She doesn't want to be without God, because God is not part of her emotional equation in this scenario.
That isn't true. God is in everyone's emotional equation. God has given every human that ever existed enough evidence (as well as His truth written on our hearts) so that everyone (regardless of who they are or where they were born) can decide to live with, or without God.

You still haven't answered my question, nor have you addressed the scenario I presented.
I have directly responded to your post. In fact, I couldn't have been more direct.

Nydhogg

This question is absurdly easy. Each person is fully responsible for their own shortcomings and screw ups. That simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.