toldailytopic: Who and what are angels? What do we know about them, and what is their

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 27th, 2010 12:09 PM

toldailytopic: Who and what are angels? What do we know about them, and what is their purpose and role in God's plan for His creation?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

toldailytopic: What do we know about them,?

That you may have entertained one today

(Heb 13:2) Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A good deal of what I have read in the Bible seems to indicate servant status. Even when they have strong powers. It certainly seems different than the relations with us.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
There may be one standing in your denominational pulpit this Sunday.

It says "stranger", not someone you know.

I don't go to a denominational church.

I go to a non-denominational church.

Why don't you give us your MAD/no-church/Hebrews isn't for us/follow Paul/KJVO/Mayberry - expert opinion on Heb 13:2?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

toldailytopic: Who and what are angels? What do we know about them, and what is their purpose and role in God's plan for His creation?

That angels don’t get as much attention as MAD, evolution, the Cordoba Mosque, Barack Obama, Sarah Palin, Muslims, open theism, abortion, and homosexuality.

The Graphite

What is the mission and purpose of angels in God's plan?

• To worship and praise God
  • To communicate on behalf of God to the world, and to be ambassadors to the world in certain situations
  • To battle in the war that is not of the flesh but of the spirit, against other dominions, principalities and powers (Daniel 10)
  • To serve as workmen in service to the Lord, here on earth and at His throne eternally in the heavenlies
  • To rule over certain aspects or geographical areas of God's creation under the divine administration of God
  • To go forth in the world on judgment day, judging between the righteous and the wicked in order to separate the two, and thus sending the wicked to their eternal punishment (Matt. 13:49-50)

They are "the sons of God," "the angels of the Lord," "the holy ones," and "the morning stars." These citizens of heaven seem to be identified with their personal Creator, as they are named for Him - the Son of God, the Angel of the Lord, the Holy One, and the Morning Star. They are neither male nor female, have no nationality, no holy days or seasons, and they apparently do not live under a codified system of commandments but simply walk in obedience to the will of their master, the Angel of the Lord. They are not born, but were new creations at the beginning of the creation week, and were thus chosen by Him and elected according to His purpose before the foundation of the world. This group of beings has a head; that head is Christ (Col. 2:9-10). They are able to speak the tongues of men and the tongues of angels. They have no need for (and therefore no promise of) material and earthly blessings, either now or in the future, as these things would be meaningless to them.

In the Old Testament Hebrew, one word (and a close variation of it) is translated as “ambassador” (2 Chron 35:21, Isa. 30:4, 33:7, Ezek. 17:15) and the variation as “workman” (2 Kings 12:14-15, 1 Chron. 22:15, 25:1, and several other passages). That word is also often translated as "messenger." That Hebrew word is "Malak” and the variation “Malaka.” This one Hebrew word contains the connotations of all three words - ambassador, workman, messenger, all roles of a heavenly angel. The word originally derives from an ancient Hebrew word not found in the OT itself, but which was a verb meaning "to dispatch a deputy." Of course, "Malak" is translated most notably as "angel" in most Bible translations.

From the beginning, there were always two peoples of God -- one earthly and one heavenly; one visible and one invisible; one to be His bride, and one to be a body of servants and ambassadors to the world. Each under a different administration of divine authority, and no one in either group may "switch" administrations to join the other, but each should remain in the calling in which they are called, for the calling of the Lord is irrevocable.

Last edited:

Ps82

Angels are visible. They can see each other, but a human, by his own power, cannot see them with their natural eyes. I guess you could say that angels are usually invisible to humans unless God chooses to open the eyes of men in order to see super-natural things.

God can open "spiritual eyes" and can close "physical eyes." He opened men's eyes in order to see super-natural things in dreams of the night and visions of the day.

God also was able to make Lot's own house invisible to the angry men rioting at his door while trying to get their hands on him and his two visitors. The men were not blind to everything for after they could not find Lot's doorway, they went their own way. IOW, they could see to leave.

God was also able to make Jesus's presence disappear from the view of the men who wanted to kill him. He was able to walk right through the crowd and on his way without being seen by the angry men.

It seems that there is angelic vision and human vision, but vision is relative when it comes to the intervening power of God.

I believe that angels are beings with an invisible spiritual nature, but within their own realm they are revealed visually by a super-natural bodily form.

I believe that God even designed a super-natural (heaven-type) bodily form for his own personal use; therefore, in the OT people read this phrase often: "The angel of God appeared unto ... and spoke..."

This visible body of heaven (the super-natural bodily form/aka the angelic presence) was first mentioned in Gen.1:26-27 KJV. 74 men saw IT at one time and were not harmed in Exodus 24:9-12 KJV. And Colossians 1:15 KJV tells us that IT was the first of all created creatures.

I believe that there are created angelic beings that are not divine representatives of God, but rather are servants of God... however, there IS an angelic presence (IOW, the angel of God and the image of God) that does personally represent God visually within his own creation. God uses HIS ANGELIC PRESENCE to manifest himself to angels and men.

God was also able to manifest HIS ANGELIC PRESENCE in the form of flesh... for in Colossians 1:13,14,15 KJV we are told that Christ was the expression of that image belonging to the invisible spiritual God.

quote with my interpretation inside (...).
(Lord Jesus the Christ,) who is the image of (or the image belonging to) the invisible God, (the image who was) the first born of every (created visible) creature.

GOD had his own personal angel...or angelic presence in the OT. Jesus, the WORD of God, even shared the glory of God's angel with Him.

Jesus said John 17:5 KJV:
And now, O Father (the God of Israel who appeared unto them in days of old with his angelic glory - Exodus 24: 8-12 KJV), glorify YOU me (your fleshly appearing Son and Christ) with your own self - with the glory which I had (IOW, which I once shared) with YOU before the world was.

Last edited:

The Graphite

Specific Scripture reference, please!

Nang
Seriously?

Job 1:6,7
6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them. 7 And the LORD said to Satan, “From where do you come?”
So Satan answered the LORD and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it.”

Job 2:1,1
1 Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. 2 And the LORD said to Satan, “From where do you come?”
Satan answered the LORD and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking back and forth on it.”​
and especially

Job 38:4-7
4 “ Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding.

5 Who determined its measurements?
Surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?

6 To what were its foundations fastened?
Or who laid its cornerstone,

7 When the morning stars sang together,
And all the sons of God shouted for joy?​

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seriously?

It seems a great many "non MAD" people say this. As if they have never opened up their Bible and read it. I realize the amount of study put in varies person to person, and I am nowhere near the top, but I don't get how some people keep asking that question.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Does anybody think they have encountered one, with hindsight of course. I can't think of anything, but did anybody else have some sort of encounter that just didn't add up in some way and made you wonder who was that?

john w

Hall of Fame
1.I do know that they are men, not women, as the majority of the Christ rejecting world portrays them. So much for ERA.

2.Doctrinal point-regarding God's purpose concerning human beings(notice "beings', not "doings"):

The LORD God is not making angels of human beings. God can create in holiness and sustain in holiness millions of angels, and He has done so(Psalms 68:17, Deuteronomy 33:2, Daniel 7:10, Hebrews 12:22, Revelation 5:11)- creatures who have never sinned. He calls them His "holy angels"(Mt. 25:31,Mark 8:38, Luke 9:26, Revelation 14:10), and His "mighty angels"(2 Thessalonians
1:7).

But God never speaks of grace in connection with angels. Grace is a
loving pardon and favor shown to lost, guilty, law-breakers, wretches and helpless criminals. Grace can never be anything else.

The reason most will "miss" heaven is that they want to be angels, instead of saved sinners. God has already declared this race("in Adam"-1 Corinthians 15:22) to be lost("guilty"-Romans 3:19), and that all are sinners(no exceptions-Romans 3:23); that there "is no difference"((Romans3:22), that there "is none that are righteous"(Romans 3:10), but He has purposes of grace toward us, i.e., although utterly undeserving of any favor from Him and being guilty, yet He will freely pardon, justify, and give eternal life to any member of this lost race who is willing to be made the object of His charity as an utter beggar and criminal.

For God desires to display His own attributes of grace-His ability and
nature to forgive offenses, pardon insults, pity misery, cleanse impurity, save sinners, redeem outcasts, crown beggars, glorify wretches, bestow blessing where cursing and wrath would be the necessary, deserved, and the expected outcome!

However, men rebel at this treatment-scripture calls this "...the way of Cain...."(Jude 11)- the modern term for this is "religion"-man presenting his works as his basis for his acceptance with God. They refuse charity, forgiveness, mercy, and grace because, although sinners, they wish to go to heaven as angels. Man's pride resists admission that they are fallen, degraded, guilty, filthy, rag-covered, lost, and wretched. Man refuses to admit that the human race is a ruined race-irreparably, un retrievably ruined, and under judgement; exposed to the wrath of God, "...by nature the
children of wrath...."(Ephesians 2:3); and travelling to doom. And unless by absolute sovereign, divine intervention, no one would be saved. Notice the question that every person should ask themselves:

"...Who then can be saved"?

And recall the answer the Lord Jesus Christ gave:

"...With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible"(Mark 10:26,27).

The gospel of the grace of God is the end of religion-the final posting
of the "closed" sign on the "sweatshop" of the human races' never ending struggle to think well of itself(pride). For that, at bottom, is what religion is: man's(often well intentioned) dim-witted attempt to approve of his unapprovable condition by doing odd jobs he thinks "some important Something"("THE UNKNOWN GOD"-Acts 17:23) will thank him for. Religion is thus a loser- a strictly fallen activity. Religion has a failed past and a bankrupt future. There was no religion in Eden and there won't be any in heaven. And in the meantime, the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose again the third day(1 Cor. 15:1-4-the "good news"), and is telling you to "knock it off right now"("...every mouth be stopped...."-Romans 3:19).

The question is, will you present the sacrifice of a sincere effort to be
moral and religious(just as Cain did), or accept the God-provided sacrifice for all sin in the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, as Abel did? Will you notice that the LORD said "...when I see the blood...."(Exodus 12:13), and not "...when I see your behavior and good works"?

Scripture's constant unifying theme is that regeneration, and the whole transforming work of redemption, are accomplished solely on the ground of the sacrificial blood of the Lord Jesus Christ on the cross and his resurrection 3 days later; and if these statements of scripture are rejected, whether that rejection come from the pope, a priest, a nun, a minister, a "reverend", a pastor, a bishop, an elder, a so-called "biblical expert", a "theologian", a "professor", a "philosopher", or extra-biblical authority(for example, the "Book of Mormon", the Watch Tower Society of the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Catholic Catechism............), the discussion can never be one of interpretation of the scriptures, but it becomes a question of the authority of the testimony of the scriptures.

SaulToPaul 2

Who is it to?

Hebrews 1
1: God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2: Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Whoever was the children of "the fathers"

Hebrews 2
3: How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

Whoever the Lord spoke to about salvation at the first

Hebrews 2
12: Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

Whoever he sang in the midst of

Mark 14

25: Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
26: And when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.
27: And Jesus saith unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep shall be scattered.

Status
Not open for further replies.