toldailytopic: Which is better: Mac, Windows, Linux, or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nydhogg

Same here. Win7, the 64 bit version, admirably runs both 32bit and 64bit software without much of a hassle.

I've never been more comfortable than with my Win7-Ubuntu rig.

Win7's UI is sorta weird, though Sometimes you're typing and the window fades to the background (program still open) and leaves ya lookin' at the desktop. That's ben the one and ONLY issue I've had with win7 (And that's because I'm too lazy to read all the fancy things the new UI does).

Squishes

Same here. Win7, the 64 bit version, admirably runs both 32bit and 64bit software without much of a hassle.

I've never been more comfortable than with my Win7-Ubuntu rig.

Win7's UI is sorta weird, though Sometimes you're typing and the window fades to the background (program still open) and leaves ya lookin' at the desktop. That's ben the one and ONLY issue I've had with win7 (And that's because I'm too lazy to read all the fancy things the new UI does).

If you put your cursor in the bottom right corner of the screen (assuming that's where your taskbar is) it will fade out.

Lon

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 18th, 2011 02:20 PM

toldailytopic: Which is better: Mac, Windows, Linux, or other?

Knight, you evil man. Of course you knew this was going to be war.

For me, it is difficult to pin down all the pros and cons. Cost figures in there so PC's will ever be the most used. I've owned both, the Mac is ever cost prohibitive along with limited software. I used to make the argument that the PC could run emulation of all Macs but that's no longer true. I'm computer savvy so prefer my PC at this point in time, as I can fix most anything that goes wrong so my preference is for my PC. Time and developments may change my mind that I'd go back to the Mac again. I like them both for different reasons.

Flipper

Macs are a lot better since they basically became PCs. However, since Windows 7, I would not switch to Apple. Cool monitors though.

Droids are way cooler than iPhones though.

alwight

I like Windows 7 which I think works well for me.
Home and roaming wireless networking is also very good and easy to set up these days compared with earlier Windows, I've no idea how good Macs are at that.

Buzzword

I got Windows XP Pro on my first computer from my dad for free (he owns a computer store), the print-stuff-for-free computers at school run Vista, and I'll probably will never be able to afford a Mac.

I also get free hardware upgrades from my dad, so I'm firmly ensconced in the PC camp.
I refuse to get Vista after watching my wife's Dell crash three times using it, and if I can't afford a Mac I REALLY can't afford Windows 7.

Buzzword

Squishes said:
I don't think I understand this part. PCs are a fraction of the price of Macs.

I already have the hardware.

I can't afford to get a whole new operating system which (if Microsoft's service record is any indication) is still and will continue to be full of bugs requiring constant updates.

Meh, reverse "Windows 7" and "Mac" if it makes more sense.

I've only ever casually glanced at the prices on both.

pqmomba8

You simply CAN NOT compare a lame a*s "OS" like Windows to the other two....

Coming from a Unix background, I have been using Linux on my home computers for years. Linux / Unix is VASTLY more powerful, flexible, configurable, stable, scalable, a than Windoze.....I do have Windows 7 running in VM on an occasion that I have to use Visio.

BTW, Mac is running on a Unix kernel, which is what Linux essentially is.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My husband likes to call Windows a virus. He hates the program. My husband and I have been working with computers since they operated from simple DOS.

My cell phone operates from LINUX which is more straightforward than Windows. Never used Mac so I don't know what that is like.

Last edited by a moderator:

One Eyed Jack

I gotta admit, I like DOS. Then again, I got into this stuff in the 80's. FreeDOS is pretty cool.

Still, Windows XP suits my needs just fine. It's fast, it's fairly stable, and DirectX 9c is good enough for me.

SovereigntyIsGods

I only buy computers deprecated to Win XP SP3. Refuse to have W7 installed. The stability of XP more than meets my needs.

AMR

I used to spend a lot of time modifying Xbox bios' and Game data when i was younger. If i was still doing so, I would miss XP, but I just need a computer capable of running Word, Firefox, E-Sword, Guitar Pro, and Zune Software :chuckle:

I am looking at building a home recording studio though. If i do pursue this, i will invest in a Mac though, as Firewire is far superior to USB in recording interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.