toldailytopic: Which is better: Mac, Windows, Linux, or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 18th, 2011 02:20 PM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 18th, 2011 02:20 PM

I can't speak for Linux but, I can say I use both Mac at home & PC at work. I can truly say after sticking with MAC since the beginning that the OSX platform is the most superior IMO. I have owned my current MacBook for 4 years and had absolutely not one crash or lockup. No need for virus software, no constant addition of patches, MAC simply is a flawless system. If you have not tried a MAC give it a whirl after getting used to it (which does not take long) you will be soon be throwing rocks at your PC. "Once you go MAC you'll never go back" :BRAVO:

Rocketman

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Apple makes computers, Microsoft makes software. The Mac is far better than any machine designed to use windows. It has been some years, linux seemed to be the best operating system. OS 10, if that is the current one, is much better than Windows, which has inherent problems, mainly because it is such a dependent operating system. It is more designed to work with only windows software, which is consumer driven. Apple is a better computer and it costs more.

Does anyone remember Winlinux?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have used them all and developed software for all the platforms. It ultimately comes down to how "close to the metal" you like to have control.

With Linux everything is an option and available to tweak.
Windows second, and Mac a distant third.

I live on Windows environments simply because that is what my clients use and I don't want the hassles of dealing with cross-platform issues, virtualization tools, or commercial software availabilities. I also like to control my computing world via registry hacks, so Windows works for me. Linux is a life saver when the Windows machine barfs. But Linux remains to esoteric when it comes to the day-to-day of my computing needs. Macs are a great machine for the masses or those that require powerful multimedia tools.

AMR

Architect

Subjectively, and objectively... Mac's offer the best computers and operating software available.

Perhaps it is because I am less familiar with Mac OS (and know little about the Terminal), but I find Macs to be less flexible in customization and tweaking.

From an aethestic, engineering, and performance standpoint, nothing beats a Mac.

Aesthetic: Yes. Most definitely yes.

It wasn't until recently that AutoCAD was available for Macs. From an architect's standpoint (and some engineers?) running Parallels/Fusion/Bootcamp just to be able to run AutoCAD is more of a pain than anything. If you have a Mac, run OSX. Nothing else. Of course, as of several months ago, AutoCAD is now available for Macs.

In terms of image/video editing, Macs are also supposedly the best. Although I am not sure what is superior about the hardware of a Mac vs a PC.

I am a long-time PC user, but I don't have any qualms with Macs. It was unsuitable for me to use a Mac through college due to the use of AutoCAD. My fiancée is a Mac user, and she has had a slew of problems with her machine. This Toshiba I bought back in 2006 has some cosmetic issues (palm prints below the keyboard) but is otherwise running strong.

I tend to think that if you take very good care of your belongings, and they serve the purpose intended, who cares if you have a Mac or PC? Computers break. Software is sometimes buggy. That's why both Macs and PCs have regular software updates.

I will say this:

I wish my Toshiba had a unibody aluminum shell with backlit keys and a smart touchpad for two-finger scrolling...

Maybe I should be a PC designer instead of an architect... Are there any good-looking PCs out there?

Josh

One Eyed Jack

Apple makes computers, Microsoft makes software. The Mac is far better than any machine designed to use windows. It has been some years, linux seemed to be the best operating system. OS 10, if that is the current one, is much better than Windows, which has inherent problems, mainly because it is such a dependent operating system. It is more designed to work with only windows software, which is consumer driven. Apple is a better computer and it costs more.

Does anyone remember Winlinux?

I remember Lindows. Sometimes I run Ubuntu 9.10 under Virtual Box (a great way to experiment with different operating systems if you don't have an extra PC). Also, there are ways to install the Mac OS on a regular PC, but it isn't strictly legal, and I haven't actually tried it.

Squishes

There is no reason to ever own a Mac. Get a Windows machine with better components for half the price with a huge selection of software. I enjoy Linux, but the constant sleuthing to get compatible software can get old.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I have used them all and developed software for all the platforms. It ultimately comes down to how "close to the metal" you like to have control.

With Linux everything is an option and available to tweak.
Windows second, and Mac a distant third.

I live on Windows environments simply because that is what my clients use and I don't want the hassles of dealing with cross-platform issues, virtualization tools, or commercial software availabilities. I also like to control my computing world via registry hacks, so Windows works for me. Linux is a life saver when the Windows machine barfs. But Linux remains to esoteric when it comes to the day-to-day of my computing needs. Macs are a great machine for the masses or those that require powerful multimedia tools.

AMR

I agree about Linux. Too bad I became ill before I know the system well, it is the best if one likes to build on an exchangeable operating system. I use the PC because now I do little other than go online and email. For a time I used Apple; I liked the word processing program. If I go way back to the Apple E, it was great for actual computer work and looking at mathematical graphs.

:sigh: Now I am happy to get by with what is most simple. If I had a Mac, it would be for stability only.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree about Linux. Too bad I became ill before I know the system well, it is the best if one likes to build on an exchangeable operating system. I use the PC because now I do little other than go online and email. For a time I used Apple; I liked the word processing program. If I go way back to the Apple E, it was great for actual computer work and looking at mathematical graphs.

:sigh: Now I am happy to get by with what is most simple. If I had a Mac, it would be for stability only.
Heh! I remember the days of using LaTeX to publish engineering papers. It is still used, but I am very glad I no longer need to use it anymore.

My next big change will be when cloud computing is more mature and less expensive. I would like all of my personal content resident on the cloud and use nothing but a simple netbook for all my computing needs. The ideal is no local storage of any personal content whatsoever so that wherever a computer is linked to the internet all my content, profiles, and personal computing needs are available. When my cheap netbook breaks, I throw it away and buy a new one, never skipping a beat in my computing needs. ;)

AMR

One Eyed Jack

I'm still using XP myself. I really like Ubuntu, though. It rivals the functionality of Windows right out of the box, so to speak.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have only used Windows and Mac. Mac hands down. Because it works better, is laid out correctly, things are where they belong, etc.

Windows XP was pretty good. Vista sucks bad, and 7 is worse.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I use Linux for my server, I use Windows or Mac for daily use. I tried to use a Mac for the server, but it was too difficult to get it to work. I won't try to use Windows as the server because it will crash and more easily become infected.

Otherwise, I prefer the Mac because it crashes less.

Nydhogg

Also, there are ways to install the Mac OS on a regular PC, but it isn't strictly legal, and I haven't actually tried it.

Incredibly hackish ways, I might add.
But as long as the processor ain't an AMD and the vidcard is a compatible one, it's not too hard to do.
Have I mentioned it's hackish? Ah, and Apple Inc will try to brick your computer with every OS update.

I currently dual boot the latest Ubuntu and Windows 7. Aside from that, I've got two virtual machines, one running XP and other running W98SE, for legacy software. :p.

I boycott Apple. No compromise on that. Its policies are far more draconian than Microsoft's.

I do not own, have never owned, and will never own any Apple hardware. I've put a hacked OSX in a generic box for testing and practice (being able to troubleshoot Mac computers in case any of my customers owns one).

Status
Not open for further replies.