toldailytopic: What will heaven be like? Harps and clouds? Banquet? Streets of Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 7th, 2011 11:19 AM

toldailytopic: What will heaven be like? Harps and clouds? Banquet? Streets of Gold?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Samstarrett

I don't believe in 'heaven' exactly, but in a resurrection, and I believe it will be on a New Earth, which is essentially a perfected, restored version of the Earth we live on now.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Nothing like that. We must remember that concept of heaven came out of the Middle Ages when most worked their land all day and had little comfort, other than bland food and sleep. They wanted to be like earthly kings, it was their conceptual reward.
Heaven is what makes one perfect with God; what else might be our way for relating with Him. On this one may only speculate.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I don't believe in 'heaven' exactly, but in a resurrection, and I believe it will be on a New Earth, which is essentially a perfected, restored version of the Earth we live on now.

That is more an ancient Israel concept some Jews still hold, but not as many as you might think.

Samstarrett

That is more an ancient Israel concept some Jews still hold, but not as many as you might think.

Well, if it's what the ancient Israelites believed, that would seem to me to be if anything a point in its favor, but I build this belief primarily on Scripture.

Ecclesiastes 9:5

1 Cor 15:12-19

Rev 21:1

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Well, if it's what the ancient Israelites believed, that would seem to me to be if anything a point in its favor, but I build this belief primarily on Scripture.

Ecclesiastes 9:5

1 Cor 15:12-19

Rev 21:1

All but Revelations supports what I have said and when you consider what is canon and who made it canon, it should give one pause to consider the meaning. The Body of Christ will not inherit the earth, nor the wind, but be higher than angels, as a testimonial to God.

Samstarrett

All but Revelations supports what I have said

Not if you believe in a soul that continues consciously after the death of the body or don't believe in a bodily resurrection.

and when you consider what is canon and who made it canon, it should give one pause to consider the meaning.

What do you mean?

The Body of Christ will not inherit the earth

Matthew 5:5

, nor the wind, but be higher than angels, as a testimonial to God.

Why do you think that we cannot be higher than angels while remaining corporeal creatures? Do you think the physical creation is something to be despised or rejected?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Not if you believe in a soul that continues consciously after the death of the body or don't believe in a bodily resurrection.

What do you mean?

Matthew 5:5

Why do you think that we cannot be higher than angels while remaining corporeal creatures? Do you think the physical creation is something to be despised or rejected?

You do not have the theological background to have a full discussion. The soul is not of, or part of the body. Body resurrection was created by the church because people then were unable to think abstractly. The reason Jesus appeared in an incorporeal body is so the apostles could witness His resurrection. As Paul said, we die in corruption but rise incorruptible, meaning we do not have skin that dies off, we do not have to eat, we do not eliminate like animals. The purpose for God creating us is to reveal the goodness of those who by comparison, will be more akin to the beast than to the spirit, yet we who are sealed in Grace, do rise above the angels in all aspects.

End of the lesson.

Samstarrett

You do not have the theological background to have a full discussion.

That's rather presumptuous, but granting that for a moment, why not teach me what you claim I do not know, that I may understand what you teach about heaven?

The soul is not of, or part of the body.

Back up. I don't believe in a 'soul' at all, so we can't just launch into talking about one; first you have to show that Scripture teaches the existence of one.

Body resurrection was created by the church because people then were unable to think abstractly.

I beg to differ. I'm not sure when 'then' is meant to be, but I doubt if humans evolved the ability to think abstractly within the last few centuries. And what of the Scriptures that teach of bodily resurrection?

The reason Jesus appeared in an incorporeal body is so the apostles could witness His resurrection.

Scripture?

As Paul said, we die in corruption but rise incorruptible,

True.

meaning we do not have skin that dies off, we do not have to eat, we do not eliminate like animals.

How do you know that's what it means?

The purpose for God creating us is to reveal the goodness of those who by comparison, will be more akin to the beast than to the spirit, yet we who are sealed in Grace, do rise above the angels in all aspects.

Again, do you despise the physical creation? If so, why?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Ask STP, he will tell you why i would not bother. Maybe he would, I doubt it.

Paulos

In heaven, the joyful presence of the Lord Jesus Christ will permeate and unify everything and everyone, and all will be filled with the peace and happiness of the Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.