toldailytopic: What to do with pastors that stumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckeroo

Terminate. :wave2:

Temporarily relieve from position. Isolate from children. Investigate. Seek witnesses. :confused:And what if you cannot find a wittness does he go free? How come yop are terminating him for everything but child abuse?
What's up with this?????:think:

Terminate. :wave2:

(I'm assuming it's a confessed "hidden" addiction.)

Buckeroo

Actually my answer is this, no one is above the law, not the pope or any paster, crime is crime, put their butts in jail, if they murder fry them. That is how it has been from before Jesus till after Jesus.Jesus said if it was a law to do as you are told but if it comes between you and God not to. He meant that if they try to stop you from teaching, praching, the word of God then you do not stop for them.We are slack to help those who are suffering abuse in this world and we will answer to God. :execute:

raypb

We must all pull the plank from our own eye before we try to remove the partical of someone elses eye. We should first pray for them and ask God for understanding. Our battle is not in the flesh but spiritual.

elohiym

And what if you cannot find a wittness does he go free? How come yop are terminating him for everything but child abuse?
What's up with this?????

Someone says, "You're a child molester, Buckeroo!"

Should we boot you off this site because you're accused?

Is it true because you are accused?

Please use some common sense.

Prolifeguyswife

This is an interesting one.

Someone I know really well had an unfaithful husband who was a pastor. The first time he cheated, he was a youth pastor, and he seduced one of the young women in his youth group. He went on to have affairs with a dozen women over several different churches that he pastored, while his wife was at home with his four small children.

She finally left him, after seeing that he had no desire to change. He went on to become a salesman...for a few years. Then he remarried and was "called" to be pastor another church, because he claimed he repented.

My opinion is that since he abused his position as pastor and abused some of his flock, he should never be a pastor again. Forgiven, yes. But restored to his position of authority? No.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
This is an interesting one.

Someone I know really well had an unfaithful husband who was a pastor. The first time he cheated, he was a youth pastor, and he seduced one of the young women in his youth group. He went on to have affairs with a dozen women over several different churches that he pastored, while his wife was at home with his four small children.

She finally left him, after seeing that he had no desire to change. He went on to become a salesman...for a few years. Then he remarried and was "called" to be pastor another church, because he claimed he repented.

My opinion is that since he abused his position as pastor and abused some of his flock, he should never be a pastor again. Forgiven, yes. But restored to his position of authority? No.

Yesterday I found myself agreeing with Aimiel, now I find myself agreeing with you. Who's been spiking my Mt. Dew?

Serious though, spot on, not just for pastors, but for any position of authority where one is setting some sort of an example.

csuguy

Pastors who stumble - if they repent - should be forgiven. Perhaps there should be a temporary trial-period or something to see if they have truly repented and changed their ways, but ultimately they should be fully reinstated. Generically speaking.

PilgrimE

Honey, I Shrunk the Congregation (my personal pathetic pastoral poem)

Honey, I Shrunk the Congregation (my personal pathetic pastoral poem)

Dear Honey,
Maybe it’s time we took a long vacation.
You see, there may be a change in my pastoral situation.
Some folks in the church are suggesting my immediate resignation!
Because, Honey— I shrunk the congregation!

I must have been a lousy leader. I didn’t flame their imagination.
I didn’t give them a clear vision. I didn’t give them motivation.
And now they’re giving me their excommunication!
All because, Honey, I shrunk the congregation.

But Honey, I preached the Bible! From Genesis to Revelation!
I taught all the best doctrines, from salvation to sanctification!
I even preached against sin-- from fornication to intoxication!
But nevertheless, Honey, I shrunk the congregation!

Was it because of some errant, unbiblical interpretation?
Was it because I believe in predestination or pre-tribulation?
Was it because I used commentaries not of our denomination?
I don’t know, Honey. But I shrunk the congregation.

Oh Honey, isn’t this a pastor’s ultimate humiliation?
How can we ever hold our heads up? I’ve blown my reputation!
This must be the unpardonable sin-- I feel such condemnation!
Woe is me, Honey, I shrunk the congregation!

Remember when we first came here? We had such expectation!
I employed all the latest programs to grow a church’s population!
I made tracts! I had a website! And a daily blog of inspiration!
And yet, Honey, I still shrunk the congregation!

Honey, maybe I should seek another less demanding occupation.
Maybe I should pursue some more higher education.
Maybe I should write a book? We could profit from its publication!
I could call it: “Honey, I shrunk the Congregation”!
-------------------------------------------------------------
My poor husband,
I read your letter, dear, and I feel your desperation.
But Honey, do you think you’re the only pastor in our generation
who’s felt rejected or dejected by his church’s alienation?
So what, Honey? You shrunk the congregation!

Did you ever think that maybe the church is God’s operation?
And maybe this is His moving, as He shakes every foundation?
So maybe we should praise Him for their non-participation!
Hallelujah, Honey! You shrunk the congregation!

Now, Honey! Does our Lord need crowds to spark His celebration?
And do we need multitudes to prove His manifestation?
Can you remember how he saved you for a servant’s consecration?
Can you repent for any part you played in our flock’s disintegration?
Can you just return to Jesus and His simple gospel proclamation?
And simply serve the ones He’s left us— and pray for their liberation?
Well then, let’s trust Him, Honey... and just love His congregation

bybee

Wow!

Wow!

Dear Honey,
Maybe it’s time we took a long vacation.
You see, there may be a change in my pastoral situation.
Some folks in the church are suggesting my immediate resignation!
Because, Honey— I shrunk the congregation!

I must have been a lousy leader. I didn’t flame their imagination.
I didn’t give them a clear vision. I didn’t give them motivation.
And now they’re giving me their excommunication!
All because, Honey, I shrunk the congregation.

But Honey, I preached the Bible! From Genesis to Revelation!
I taught all the best doctrines, from salvation to sanctification!
I even preached against sin-- from fornication to intoxication!
But nevertheless, Honey, I shrunk the congregation!

Was it because of some errant, unbiblical interpretation?
Was it because I believe in predestination or pre-tribulation?
Was it because I used commentaries not of our denomination?
I don’t know, Honey. But I shrunk the congregation.

Oh Honey, isn’t this a pastor’s ultimate humiliation?
How can we ever hold our heads up? I’ve blown my reputation!
This must be the unpardonable sin-- I feel such condemnation!
Woe is me, Honey, I shrunk the congregation!

Remember when we first came here? We had such expectation!
I employed all the latest programs to grow a church’s population!
I made tracts! I had a website! And a daily blog of inspiration!
And yet, Honey, I still shrunk the congregation!

Honey, maybe I should seek another less demanding occupation.
Maybe I should pursue some more higher education.
Maybe I should write a book? We could profit from its publication!
I could call it: “Honey, I shrunk the Congregation”!
-------------------------------------------------------------
My poor husband,
I read your letter, dear, and I feel your desperation.
But Honey, do you think you’re the only pastor in our generation
who’s felt rejected or dejected by his church’s alienation?
So what, Honey? You shrunk the congregation!

Did you ever think that maybe the church is God’s operation?
And maybe this is His moving, as He shakes every foundation?
So maybe we should praise Him for their non-participation!
Hallelujah, Honey! You shrunk the congregation!

Now, Honey! Does our Lord need crowds to spark His celebration?
And do we need multitudes to prove His manifestation?
Can you remember how he saved you for a servant’s consecration?
Can you repent for any part you played in our flock’s disintegration?
Can you just return to Jesus and His simple gospel proclamation?
And simply serve the ones He’s left us— and pray for their liberation?
Well then, let’s trust Him, Honey... and just love His congregation

That gave me goosebumps! It is tragically true. bybee

Trumpetfolker

Dear Knight,

Dear Knight,

The answer is "never give them an opportunity in the first place".
An ounce of understanding the Word of God is worth the prevention that it holds.
The New Testament church was run by elders who had been around long enough that believers could tell how their children turned out. They were the overseers and bishops. There were several in a city. And, they all worked with their hands, like Paul, in order to have something to share with the weak.
The pastors were deacons. They were attendants.
When the overseers agreed that there was a need which required enough attention that one man could stay busy taking care of it, they had the congregation draft some body. The elders would watch how this draftee handled jobs with little impact on the Christian community and, as other deaconries (or ministries) opened up, they would promote the ready deacon.
This was representative government. Israel had used a form of it since their time at Sinai; maybe, even in Egypt.
When you turn Christianity into a religious form where the commandment for all Christians to work with their hands is ignored, the positions which require no real work (the positions where you can wear long robes, be available for greetings in the market place, travel and stay in the best rooms, and sit in the chief seats in synagogues attract the worthless.
Ro 16:17 ¶ Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.
19 For your obedience is come abroad unto all men. I am glad therefore on your behalf: but yet I would have you wise unto that which is good, and simple concerning evil.

bybee

Higher standard!

Higher standard!

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 26th, 2010 09:05 AM

toldailytopic: What to do with pastors that stumble.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

We had a minister who was sleeping with the wife of a young man he was tutoring for seminary. When the whole tawdry business was revealed, he(the minister) and the young woman moved to California, got married (she had received a very generous settlement in her divorce). He left her when the money ran out and he was defrocked. This ugly business tore our church apart. It took years to heal the wounds. I wonder how this person ever was allowed to become a minster in the first place. bybee

I know a Pastor who had an affair with a woman in his church a few years ago. His wife knows about it, but not the woman's husband... or his church.

What would you do if you had that information?

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm with chickenman...it sort of depends on what exactly happened.
If a pastor commits adultery or does something financially immoral with his own finances or those of the church, for example, then I believe that he should be removed from his position of authority because in both cases he has broken an important, dare I say it, a sacred trust. Thus he has rendered himself untrustworthy.
I recall one pastor, that was divorced from his first wife because of an extra marital affair; I believe he was removed from his pastorate and the denominational affiliation he was with, he then married the woman he was having the affair with, the church secretary. After all the smoke cleared this pastor proceeded to enter into independent ministry. The pastor admits to all of this publicly, but does not give all the details, which is probably better that he doesn't.​
But, if he loses his temper or uses profane speech or something of the like, he should be publically repentant of his actions, seeking the forgiveness of those he has wronged.
Years ago their was a pastor who my brother and I knew very well, that man could swear like a sailor, his Mrs would warned him that one of these Sundays he swear from the pulpit; he did real good, he stopped and said, "dear ones, my wife told that I would swear during one of my sermons if I didn't do something about my swearing, and thus I have." The pastor apologized for his bad conduct, and finished his sermon. Mrs pastor said that her husband after that day never did swear or use foul/bad/coarse again. This was a point where the doing of poor conduct became the teacher of a life lesson with a good result.
:think: Maybe even then something more should be done...pastors are supposed to be held to very high standards (as are all Christians, come to think of it).
The way I see it, a pastor caught in adultery should be removed from office, get counseling, set things right with those who have been hurt and offended by such actions and get on with his life. However, restoration to the pastorate is another matter.

Financial indiscretions for using church funds unwisely, should require admittance of such wrong doing and an apology from the pulpit, followed by a year of the pastor proving himself.

Stealing church funds and or property, should require a public apology, a complete restoration of the funds and or property, the funds with interest, followed by a year of pastorate suspension, the a year of pastor proving himself. If it is an extreme case, I would think that removal from the pastorate would then be permanent.

A higher standard . . . for all of us . . .

I suppose that we all have our short comings and no-no's in our lives, it reminds me of what Alexander the Great said to one of his wayward soldiers whose name also was Alexander, "Change your name, or change your conduct." Self evaluation is always a worthy thing to do, especially when we are discussing the failing faults of others, remember motes and beams Matthew 7:3-5; and ourselves, Psalm 25:1-7, Psalm 51:1-13, Psalm 139:1-4, 23-24, and Ephesians 4:32.

Status
Not open for further replies.