toldailytopic: What issues are you most dogmatic about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 24th, 2011 11:24 AM

toldailytopic: What issues are you most dogmatic about?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
free will is the most important

we must understand that the choices we make have consequences

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have softened on many issues over the years but there are a few that still get me fired up....

- Abortion
- The homo agenda
- Calvinism and closed theism
- Liberalism in general

ghost

Hall of Fame
1. The identity of Jesus
2. The authority of God's word
3. The finality of the cross
4. The power of His resurrection
5. The Gospel message
6. The believer's identity in Christ
7. The purpose of the Law
8. The purpose of grace
9. Soteriology (what salvation is)
10. What it means to walk by faith

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Abortion
Feminism
Death Penalty
Gay Marriage
Child and Domestic Abuse
Freedom of and from religion

Ps82

Against:
Abortion
the destruction of the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman
the growing national debt which may take us to financial ruin
any indoctrination of our children through our public schools from godless activists or murderous radicals
the lack of our leaders being able to identify enemies that want to kill Americans

Dena

- gay marriage (for...not against)
- mothers right to birth as they choose (refusing c-sections, at home, etc)
- support for medical marijuana (yes, this is actually important to me)

I know there is more but I can't think right now...

Buzzword

If by "dogmatic about" you mean "unwilling to compromise regarding", then I have just one.

1) The fact that no issues are worth being dogmatic about toward other people in the long run.

Buzzword

ghost said:
No, but you made a comment that you think it's the correct thing to do something contrary to what God would do. Why?

Then the rest of your post is one giant opinion, one which you formed based on YOUR PERSONAL INTERPRETATION of Scripture, experience, reason, or whatever you chose to use.

You are not God, therefore you are not in a position to state what He would do.
All you can say is what you THINK He would do, and that opinion is just as valid as anyone who says He doesn't even exist.

Knowing that, and knowing that I am not God, means that MY interpretation of everything could be flawed, even down to the nitty-gritty basics.
Therefore, I make RELATIONSHIPS with the people God brings into my life my priority rather than my or anyone else's opinions about Him or doctrines or lack thereof.

Individual people matter far more in the long run than anything we can deduce or make up about God or the universe or anything.

I believe God made us in His image, but I know from experience that we are arrogant enough as a species to try making Him in OUR image.

ghost

Hall of Fame
Then the rest of your post is one giant opinion, one which you formed based on YOUR PERSONAL INTERPRETATION of Scripture, experience, reason, or whatever you chose to use.
Is it your "personal interpretation" that God considers it a "fact that no issues are worth being dogmatic about toward other people in the long run."?

That is what I asked YOU, idiot.

You are not God, therefore you are not in a position to state what He would do.
I asked YOU if it is God's position. Are you now feeling stupid for your opinion that you called a "fact"?

All you can say is what you THINK He would do, and that opinion is just as valid as anyone who says He doesn't even exist.
Why do you even come here? Do you have some sick obsession with people thinking you're a moron?

Knowing that, and knowing that I am not God, means that MY interpretation of everything could be flawed, even down to the nitty-gritty basics.
Is that a "fact"? :chuckle:

Therefore, I make RELATIONSHIPS with the people God brings into my life my priority rather than my or anyone else's opinions about Him or doctrines or lack thereof.
:yawn:

Individual people matter far more in the long run than anything we can deduce or make up about God or the universe or anything.
Therefore, you conclude that people are more important than the truth.

I believe God made us in His image, but I know from experience that we are arrogant enough as a species to try making Him in OUR image.
You, and those like you.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Two questions drive all of my theological dogma:

Who is God?
Who is Jesus Christ?

AMR

Last edited:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
The inviolability of the human person.
Human freedom.
The evil of abortion.
The Passion and Death of the God-man.
The real presence of Christ in the eucharist.

Last edited:

Alate_One

I am most dogmatic about . . .correcting *wrong* information. :DK:

duty_calls.png

In general I stick to science and it's implications and avoid straight theological issues partly because there are so many Christians that I agree with that are better at defending the issues (or at least have more time to do so) but occasionally when someone is misrepresenting one of my positions (someone exhibiting anti-Calvinist derangement syndrome) I'll feel the need to step in.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
1. The identity of Jesus
2. The authority of God's word
3. The finality of the cross
4. The power of His resurrection
5. The Gospel message
6. The believer's identity in Christ
7. The purpose of the Law
8. The purpose of grace
9. Soteriology (what salvation is)
10. What it means to walk by faith