toldailytopic: What is/was the best sitcom of all-time?

Arthur Brain

In some bizarre way, the responses in this thread shed a lot of light on TOLers. I feel like I understand a few folks a bit better than I did before.

Also, for those who love the first seasons of The Office (as I do), check out the original Ricky Gervais series. A lot of it is word-for-word.

Aye, one I should have had on my list also. The original Gervais/Marchant two series' is genius. I think he was involved in the American version as well but it doesn't work on the same level for me....

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
The Office... most all of it. I think I worked there.

The Office wins our overall family vote - back when all the kids were at home, it was one show (besides LOST) that brought us all to the TV at the same time.

My kids can recite a lot of the dialogue from memory, and listening to them always makes me smile. :)

Over the years:

I Love Lucy
Dick Van Dyke
Happy Days
Mash
Cheers
Seinfeld
Frasier
Murphy Brown
Home Improvement
The Office

I Love Lucy will always be my number one.

SaulToPaul 2

The Office wins our overall family vote - back when all the kids were at home, it was one show (besides LOST) that brought us all to the TV at the same time.

My kids can recite a lot of the dialogue from memory, and listening to them always makes me smile. :)

Over the years:

I Love Lucy
Dick Van Dyke
Happy Days
Mash
Cheers
Seinfeld
Frasier
Murphy Brown
Home Improvement
The Office

The Flying Nun didn't make the list? :)

sky.

BANNED
Banned

Over the years:

I Love Lucy
Dick Van Dyke
Happy Days
Mash
Cheers
Seinfeld
Frasier
Murphy Brown
Home Improvement
The Office

We still watch The Office sometimes. On cable I think there is a channel that will show all of the episodes. My son quotes from that show quite often. He had this quote on his facebook page for a while. I think it was Schrute who said it.

“In the wild, there is no health care. In the wild, health care is, ‘Ow, I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me. I'm dead.’ Well, I’m not dead. I’m the lion. You’re dead.”

Other sitcoms I really liked.

Mad About You
King of Queens
Everybody Loves Raymond

I think King Of Queens was my all time favorite. I love the episode where Carri prayed for shoes and Doug was so freaked out about it. And the one Drunk Carrie=Nice Carrie.

Cracked

Uneven, but a great ensemble and one of the sharpest going at present. Reminds me of WKRP in its day...Community's first paintball episode was a rival for RP's Thanksgiving turkey drop/Hindenburg episode.

I think Community is hit or miss as well. However, the D&D episode, while somewhat crass in a place or two, was very funny otherwise.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I think it was Schrute who said it.

“In the wild, there is no health care. In the wild, health care is, ‘Ow, I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me. I'm dead.’ Well, I’m not dead. I’m the lion. You’re dead.”

Oh, that definitely had to be Dwight. :chuckle:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think Community is hit or miss as well. However, the D&D episode, while somewhat crass in a place or two, was very funny otherwise.
The latest, a send up of Law and Order, was very well played.

The live 30 Rock was hit and miss, but the hits were solid and worth the wait.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Andy Griffith Show.... Black n White

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

The latest, a send up of Law and Order, was very well played.
Yes it was. That's actually what I came here to say. The "Law" segment was so much like watching an actual episode of that show. Especially the opening with the janitors, and Troy and Abed in the office and Neil looking for the key log.

And the opening credits were awesome!

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Community is pretty good from what I've seen of it. I'd put it on my list of good current shows. Good pick, LH. :up:

Alison Brie is a big plus. :Shimei: