toldailytopic: What is the most valuable thing your parents taught you? What will you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
My father taught me to treat women with respect and that good manners are never old fashioned.

Mine taught me the same thing. He also instilled in me that if I want something in life, I have to work for it. And that its a heck of a lot less expensive to fix your own stuff rather than to pay someone to fix it for you. At a young age he taught me how to fight and to be tough and not back down.

My mother taught me to live independently. She thought it was important for me to me able to take care of myself. Came in real handy all those years I lived on my own.

From both I learned the importance of family and to put family first.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Mine taught me the same thing. He also instilled in me that if I want something in life, I have to work for it. And that its a heck of a lot less expensive to fix your own stuff rather than to pay someone to fix it for you. At a young age he taught me how to fight and to be tough and not back down.

My mother taught me to live independently. She thought it was important for me to me able to take care of myself. Came in real handy all those years I lived on my own.

From both I learned the importance of family and to put family first.
Those are excellent values that your parents taught you! :up:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
My parents taught me to worry over death. I'm sure that they didn't intend to. Suffice to say, I was something of a rather spoiled child. I always liked to be left alone to do whatever I liked, and I preferred to interact with others only when I needed something. And when I didn't get what I wanted, I wasn't exactly the nicest child to be around.

On certain occassions, my parents sat me down at length and prattered on and on about how the very same people I took for granted are going to die, that when I eventually will attend my grandparents' funeral, I would think back on all of those times and kick myself, etc.

On these occassions, I was forced to confront the idea that everyone I depended on one day would die.

I have many other related scenarios I could mention, but it'd be redundant.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Other family values my parents taught me. My stepfather taught me that life is unfair. He told me this often. He'd say it to my face, repeatedly: "Life's a <censored>!"

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
My Mom and Dad taught me that love is unconditional, and doesn't stop. They also taught me to take responsibilty for my actions. Both lessons were along side of Christs love for us, and our need to own up to our sin.

My wife and I are trying to teach those same lessons to our sons.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Those are excellent values that your parents taught you! :up:

Thank you sir! Someday I do want to be a proud parent and pass them on.

Sadly, I find myself being rather harshly criticized, usually by people younger than me, about those values. Especially all the things I do for my folks.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic:
What is the most valuable thing your parents taught you?
What will you teach your children?

Dad, keep your word and know your limit.

Mom, her love for Jesus, and pay attention.

nicholsmom

Life is in the choices we make. My dad used to sing this to me:

Swinging on a Star

Naturally flowing from this are the values:
If you want something done right, do it yourself
Work hard to reap well
Think ahead and live by a plan where important things are concerned (which is about the same as not sacrificing the important on the altar of the urgent or "don't sweat the small stuff")
Contentment can be chosen no matter what the circumstances

Dena

My dad taught me when I think something is wrong I should stand up against it even if it's difficult. I'm not sure he's always happy he taught me that lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.