toldailytopic: What is the most valuable thing your parents taught you? What will you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 18th, 2011 12:11 PM

toldailytopic: What is the most valuable thing your parents taught you? What will you teach your children?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
To stand up for myself (and others) against bullying and abuse. I have taught my children the same.

The Berean

1) Work hard and study
2) Keep your word
3) A firm handshake.
4) Always say "thank you"
5) Help others in need

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My father wasn't around while I was growing up. But, my mom taught me that, when in doubt about something that may or may not affect my life, ask myself What would Nana think about that?

I tried to teach my daughter that integrity is extremely important in a world where everyone is lying. I hope that it caught on.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
My dad would always tell us kids....

Before you do anything ask yourself.... is this stupid?

I took that advice to heart and often asked myself that question. My problem was that even if the answer turned up "yes" I often proceeded anyway. :D

I think the best gift my parents gave me was the desire to hold family in a high priority. To us our family is extremely important which is why there hasn't been any divorce or other major family strife. That's a real blessing!

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There's that bit about not eating yellow snow...

:think:

I've always considered that to be unparallelled wisdom.

:chew:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
In a way, they taught me that humans are all failures and so I should only really trust my Heavenly Father.

Cruciform

What is the most valuable thing your parents taught you?
My mother taught me empathy and kindness. My stepfather taught me how to play chess, and---by his example---how not to be a father.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Last edited:

The Graphite

I was raised in a conservative, Texas, Southern-Baptist home. Nevertheless, my parents unfortunately mostly assumed we were all Christian and never really evangelized to us. As a result, none of my brothers and I were truly Christians when we left home, although we thought we were. I quickly became immersed in neo-paganism (specifically Wicca), and became quite active in the neo-pagan community, even acting as occasional spokesperson for a pagan organization. By the grace of God, I came to know Jesus Christ just over 12 years ago.

But, my parents did instill a lot of strong moral principles in me which I held onto (even when I was violating them years later as I descended into a moral abyss). These principles and beliefs included:

There is a God that is good
Evolution is a fairy tale and we are not descended from animals
Patriotism for my nation, the greatest nation on earth
Generally conservative political principles
Pro-life
Be self-sufficient and responsible for your own actions
Judge righteously and not as a hypocrite
There is only one race: human
Free will
Love is a choice you make and an action you take, not a feeling you follow
Astrology is complete bunk​

Yes, I believe all of this, including that last one, even while I was a practicing witch (although I did practice other forms of divination). And you might be amazed at how many pagans are conservative.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I was raised in a conservative, Texas, Southern-Baptist home. Nevertheless, my parents unfortunately mostly assumed we were all Christian and never really evangelized to us. As a result, none of my brothers and I were truly Christians when we left home, although we thought we were. I quickly became immersed in neo-paganism (specifically Wicca), and became quite active in the neo-pagan community, even acting as occasional spokesperson for a pagan organization. By the grace of God, I came to know Jesus Christ just over 12 years ago.

But, my parents did instill a lot of strong moral principles in me which I held onto (even when I was violating them years later as I descended into a moral abyss). These principles and beliefs included:

There is a God that is good
Evolution is a fairy tale and we are not descended from animals
Patriotism for my nation, the greatest nation on earth
Generally conservative political principles
Pro-life
Be self-sufficient and responsible for your own actions
Judge righteously and not as a hypocrite
There is only one race: human
Free will
Love is a choice you make and an action you take, not a feeling you follow
Astrology is complete bunk​

Yes, I believe all of this, including that last one, even while I was a practicing witch (although I did practice other forms of divination). And you might be amazed at how many pagans are conservative.
:first: POTD

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The value system by grandmother and parents instilled into me. Over the years as the world hammered on me I became even more hardened against what it had to offer instead of getting sucked into it. That says a lot for how well my parents raised me. My disapproval of sinful lifestyles 'evolved' into Theonomy.

There is only one true God
He is in three persons--
Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
His Word is truth. You cannot redact it down.
The earth and the universe were created in 6 literal days.
Marriage is to be between a Man and a Woman.
Abortion is murder.
Homosexuality is an abomination.

I was what some call a 'biological Christian. I was raised in a Christian home. I went through a 15 year phase where I discovered and explored my Jewish roots. Then recently I went through same hard times with my husband's cancer. I went back to what was really important. That is a simple faith in Jesus Christ without all the frills.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My father taught me to treat women with respect and that good manners are never old fashioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.