toldailytopic: What is the meaning of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
have you ever been in a room where a fight broke out?
Yes. It wasn't very pleasurable. So is that why you think God cares that consequences are not horrible "for everyone who did not rebel"? Is it because God's (and everyone else's) pleasure would be greater without rebellion?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Yes. It wasn't very pleasurable. So is that why you think God cares that consequences are not horrible "for everyone who did not rebel"? Is it because God's (and everyone else's) pleasure would be greater without rebellion?

yes

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
[punishment1984]Life has no meaning[/punishment1984]

Knight's first post summed it up for me - to know God.

And in response to Jefferson - why not? :D
You wouldn't ask yourself "why not" regarding a relationship you have. Rather you would have a very clear answer. If I asked you why you should care whether or not someone you love knows you better than they currently do, I'll bet your answer would be something along the lines of, "Because if they know me better we can have a closer relationship which will increase the amount of pleasure we both experience."

You're answer wouldn't simply be an apathetic, "Why not?"

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Because otherwise those who don't rebel would have to live in hell rather than in joy, peace, and ultimate fulfillment for eternity.

(Let me guess. Your response to this is going to be, "But why?") :chuckle:

;)
Yes. Why does God care whether or not those who rebel have to live in hell rather than in joy, peace and ultimate fulfillment for eternity? Isn't it because it will increase God's pleasure to fellowship with as many people as possible in heaven?

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
no

because

the question is

what is the meaning of (this) life?

and that is to find out who the trouble makers are and get rid of them
But it's God who declares what the meaning of (this) life is. Therefore, if the reason why God wants to get rid of the trouble makers in this life is not because it would increase His pleasure, then what is the reason?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
But it's God who declares what the meaning of (this) life is. Therefore, if the reason why God wants to get rid of the trouble makers in this life is not because it would increase His pleasure, then what is the reason?

I now see we agree

I am addressing the immediate question

You are addressing the ultimate question

Flipper

To me, it sounds like you are trying to understand your relationship to something that you can never fully understand.

The never ending challenge implies that you can never fully understand the relationship.

The challenge is as endlessly interesting as it is futile. The body of knowledge is vast and I could read for many lifetimes and hardly scratch the surface and yet it's still incredibly incomplete. But it's extraordinary that we have been able to learn as much as we have.

I take in as much as I can and attempt to synthesize it into a whole that makes sense to me and to helps shed light on my place in it all. It is a foolish errand, but a satisfying one.

Why?

Sounds like protofaith to me.

I'm not sure whether that's accurate. I am content in that I have done what I can to make sense of it all, and I feel like I have a sense of my place in the world. I know enough about it to sustain a continued sense of wonder and be happy even though I am comfortable with the fact that comparatively I don't really know anything at all. I am at peace with the uncertainty.

If my life takes a natural course, I hope this learning process will continue to refine, nuance, surprise and sometimes turn what I think I know upside down.

But if it doesn't, I believe I made my best effort to comprehend everything I possibly could in the time that I had. My worldview is rudely sketched and inconsistent in places, and there are lots of fascinating questions that we can't really answer, but at least I have a sense of some of them and how other people have attempted to answer them.

Your mileage my vary.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't believe in a meaning of life, but the meaning in life is found in the fulfillment of God's will, which (contrary to MoMo's understanding) involves the perfection of our purpose and in that our happiness. :e4e:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't believe in a meaning of life, but the meaning in life is found in the fulfillment of God's will, which (contrary to MoMo's understanding) involves the perfection of our purpose and in that our happiness. :e4e:

you can't use the word purpose to explain the meaning unless you are just trying to help us define the word

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From the Westminster Larger Catechism:

Q. 1. What is the chief and highest end of man?
A. Man's chief and highest end is to glorify God, and fully to enjoy him forever.

AMR

andersbranderud

The meaning of life.
10 years ago I reasoned like this: "The meaning of life is to make the life meaningful".

I have found what the purpose is of the Creator with humankind - and I can testify by living in that purpose that it is highly meaningful!!

There is a logical answer to the question about what is the meaning of life.

Being logically consistent (orderly), the orderly universe must mirror its Prime Cause —Who must be Orderly ; i.e. Perfect. Therefore, no intelligent person can ignore that our purpose and challenge in life is learning how we, as imperfect humans, may successfully relate to a Perfect Creator without our co-mingling, which transcends the timespace of this dimensional physical universe, becoming an imperfection to the Perfect Creator.

An orderly Prime Cause necessarily had an Intelligent Purpose in creating this universe and us within it and, being Just and Orderly, necessarily placed an explanation, a "Life's Instruction Manual," within the reach of His subjects—humankind.

It defies the orderliness (logic / mathematics) of both the universe and Perfection of its Creator to assert that humanity was (contrary to His Tor•âh′ , see below) without any means of rapproachment until millennia after the first couple in recorded history as well as millennia after Abraham, Moses and the prophets. Therefore, the Creator's "Life's Instruction Manual" has been available to man at least since the beginning of recorded history. The only enduring document of this kind is the Tor•âh′ —which, interestingly, translates to "Instruction" (not "law" as popularly alleged). [Quote for parts of the post and further reading of how to relate to the Creator: netzarim.co.il]

The fact that the Creator is perfect implies that He isn’t self-contradictory. Therefore any religion that contradicts Torah is the antithesis to the Creator.

Anders Branderud

chriswinner

toldailytopic: What is the meaning of life?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

This question is very difficult to answer because this touches on the mystery of the gift of life. Moses in his only Psalm tries to give us some wisdom on life and the reason we live, mainly be pondering on the notion of death. At the end of his Psalm he clearly states that God needs to grant us the wisdom to live our days. I believe this makes very sense. The meaning of life for each one of us is a gift from God that we need to discover as we go through one life stage to another. Ultimately I believe that God wishes us to enjoy his love in our daily life. In fact in Genesis we read that God was among Adam and Eve.

Stone Mason

Jefferson,
Everyone knows that the Meaning of life is 42!

Seriously though, are you not explaining why you think that God created Man? I.e. What does God want our life to be all about vs what is the meaning of life?

The other problem is that if it really is all about increasing God's pleasure, then how do we know that He is not acting like a horror film junkie/cop show fan and enjoying all the lousy things that we do to each other so that He can act Godly? In that case a serial killer could be entertaining to him. Just look at David and all the philistines that he killed, and how the bible says that he was a man after God's heart.

The meaning of life it to recognize that life is rare, finite, precious and easily harmed; therefore we need to show intelligent compassion towards all while we enjoy and appreciate each day what God has given to us.

Calypso

What is the meaning of life?

Matthew 22: 37 - 38 KJV

37 - Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 - This is the first and great commandment.

Mark 12: 30 - 31 KJV

30 - And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

31 - And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Luke 10: 27 - 28 KJV

27 - And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 - And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

God Bless!!

:)

Last edited:

antiknight

The most meaning we can gain out of life is to enjoy our time here on earth - for selfish reasons - and accept that we are nothing more than molecules and atoms. (and future worm food)

novice

Who is the stooge now?

I'm not 100% sure but I suspect it has something to do with the storyline of the TV series: LOST.

Status
Not open for further replies.