toldailytopic: What does the Bible mean when it says to judge with righteous judgment

unknown

John7:24
Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.
In this case righteous is defined by "not according to the appearance", meaning rather, to judge according to what is true.

Sorry, but I really have to laugh real hard at fundies trying to make more out of this one verse than what is written.

bybee

John7:24 In this case righteous is defined by "not according to the appearance", meaning rather, to judge according to what is true.

Sorry, but I really have to laugh real hard at fundies trying to make more out of this one verse than what is written.

This verse forces us to be good neighbor's. We cannot know or sense or feel what is beneath the surface of another human being until we have taken the time to get acquainted. Have you noticed how different strangers look once you have gotten acquainted? A smile, a lift of the eyebrow, a certain way of speaking and sharing? And all of a sudden a comfort level is established (or not) and you wish this other becomes a "Thou" to you.

Ted L Glines

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 7th, 2011 01:11 PM

toldailytopic: What does the Bible mean when it says to judge with righteous judgment (John 7:24)?

I have always taken this verse to refer to judging my own motivations/thoughts/actions; judging according to what is right(eous) and what is wrong (evil).

I never saw this verse as Jesus encourging me to sit in judgment on others, though there seem to be many who use it that way. It would seem odd for Jesus to be recruiting a whole populace of judgmental snitches. As far as me being my brother's keeper, I help him gain his right(eous) needs, but I do not judge him for punishment. God does that quite well.

unknown

This verse forces us to be good neighbor's. We cannot know or sense or feel what is beneath the surface of another human being until we have taken the time to get acquainted. Have you noticed how different strangers look once you have gotten acquainted? A smile, a lift of the eyebrow, a certain way of speaking and sharing? And all of a sudden a comfort level is established (or not) and you wish this other becomes a "Thou" to you.
I'm not sure what you mean with that last sentence, "Thou" is old English for "you".

bybee

I'm not sure what you mean with that last sentence, "Thou" is old English for "you".

Good morning unknown, I'm so glad you asked!
Martin Buber, a Jewish theologian and philosopher wrote a small book entitled "I and Thou".
He expresses the thoughts that we must treat each other as I=Thou, rather than I/it. I=Thou allows the relationship to develop between equals. I/it creates an unequal relationship in that the "I" is objectifying another human being into an "it", a commodity so to speak.
It is a difficult and slow read but worth the while.

unknown

Good morning unknown, I'm so glad you asked!
Martin Buber, a Jewish theologian and philosopher wrote a small book entitled "I and Thou".
He expresses the thoughts that we must treat each other as I=Thou, rather than I/it. I=Thou allows the relationship to develop between equals. I/it creates an unequal relationship in that the "I" is objectifying another human being into an "it", a commodity so to speak.
It is a difficult and slow read but worth the while.
understood.

I am in agreement with what the Kabbalists said, that there was only one soul ever created. IOW, you, me and everybody else is included in that one soul. This is evidenced in the law of reciprocity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule
The Golden Rule or ethic of reciprocity is a maxim,[2] ethical code, or morality[3] that essentially states either of the following:

1. One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself (positive form)[2]
  2. One should not treat others in ways that one would not like to be treated (negative/prohibitive form, also called the Silver Rule)
The Golden Rule is arguably the most essential basis for the modern concept of human rights, in which each individual has a right to just treatment, and a reciprocal responsibility to ensure justice for others.[4] A key element of the Golden Rule is that a person attempting to live by this rule treats all people with consideration, not just members of his or her in-group. The Golden Rule has its roots in a wide range of world cultures, and is a standard different cultures use to resolve conflicts

bybee

understood.

I am in agreement with what the Kabbalists said, that there was only one soul ever created. IOW, you, me and everybody else is included in that one soul. This is evidenced in the law of reciprocity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule

Indeed! And the choice to live by it cannot be swayed by the actions of others. Life isn't fair. I have received many good things for no apparent reason and have had trials and tribulations for apparently no good reason.
Finally, I believe I have a good grasp on the concept that "Attitude is everything". Almost....

eameece

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 7th, 2011 01:11 PM

toldailytopic: What does the Bible mean when it says to judge with righteous judgment (John 7:24)?

The previous phrase was "judge not according to the appearance." Jesus said that it might have been an appearance that Jesus was disobeying the law of Moses when he healed on the sabbath day, but since Jesus was doing God's will, and not seeking his own glory, he was righteous.

When we see some behavior and judge this person as "wrong," we are judging by appearance. To judge righteous judgement, we do not judge others, but we do God's will. We know the eternal truth which sets us free; we don't make a particular condition or behavior into "the truth."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It means not to judge based on our own standards, but to judge upon righteous standards, i.e. the standards of God.