toldailytopic: What does the Bible mean when it says to judge with righteous judgment

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 7th, 2011 01:11 PM

toldailytopic: What does the Bible mean when it says to judge with righteous judgment (John 7:24)?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Breathe

Romans 3:10
"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one"

So how can we judge with righteous judgement? I'm not trying to be contrary, or anything. I just honestly don't understand how one can judge righteously, if one is not righteous to begin with.

QPhysics

Just to add another fly to the ointment...
1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

Taking John 7:23 into account along with 7:24, my interpretation is that Jesus is saying to try and be understanding, compassionate, flexible, etc. when applying the law, not just rigidly taking the letter of the law. Yes, God said not to work on the Sabbath, but He also commanded that a baby should be circumcised on the Sabbath if that is the right number of days after his birth...so try to understand the right-ness of God's law, not just the words.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Romans 3:10
"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one"

So how can we judge with righteous judgement? I'm not trying to be contrary, or anything. I just honestly don't understand how one can judge righteously, if one is not righteous to begin with.
Yet God commands that we do just that. John 7:24

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am on the cell right now so I can't do my handy dandy Scripture quotes I usually do. So I am winging it.

Righteous judgement entails judging scripturally. That means abhorring what is evil and standing for what is right. Righteous judgment is not advocacy of sinful lifestyles. It can be the rebuke of evil behavior or unscriptural teaching.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I am on the cell right now so I can't do my handy dandy Scripture quotes I usually do. So I am winging it.

Righteous judgement entails judging scripturally. That means abhorring what is evil and standing for what is right. Righteous judgment is not advocacy of sinful lifestyles. It can be the rebuke of evil behavior or unscriptural teaching.
:up: Well said.

God gives great instructions on how to judge here...

Matthew 7:1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 “For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 “And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 “Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 “Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

FIRST: Stop doing sinful behaviors.
THEN: Judge (i.e., discern that others might be sinner)
AND: Help them to stop sinning by rebuking them and other tactics.

rainee

I think it means men of God cannot figuratively beat their chest, grab their crotch, and scratch their rear ends while thinking their own minds can always capture what is Righteous.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it means men of God cannot figuratively beat their chest, grab their crotch, and scratch their rear ends while thinking their own minds can always capture what is Righteous.

:crackup:

That reads like dance moves to the self righteous boogie.

:rotfl:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:up: Well said.

God gives great instructions on how to judge here...

Matthew 7:1 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 “For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 “And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 “Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 “Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

FIRST: Stop doing sinful behaviors.
THEN: Judge (i.e., discern that others might be sinner)
AND: Help them to stop sinning by rebuking them and other tactics.

Thanks Knight for putting the finishing touches on my post. :thumb:

In other words a guy who claims to be Christian and marches in a gay parade has no business judging his brother on lesser matters such as stewardship (a speck). He is violating scripture by advocating sin through his actions. He is carrying a big beam in his eye. I see a lot of that on boards like this.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
I think it means run around accusing people things they may not have done and backing it up with pointing out that someone that has something in common with them did it. I think it may also mean to make every effort to condemn or discredit anyone you disagree with.

At least that is what I have been lead to believe.

Son of Jack

I think it means run around accusing people things they may not have done and backing it up with pointing out that someone that has something in common with them did it. I think it may also mean to make every effort to condemn or discredit anyone you disagree with.

At least that is what I have been lead to believe.

And, yet just about every post on this thread has been contrary to your above assertion.:idunno:

Son of Jack

Contrary to reality as well.

Ummm...okay. Everyone here has either said that they are not quite sure what righteous judgment is or that you shouldn't judge a person for something when you are doing something worse. You know the whole plank speck business. Sounds like common sense to me.

I'm not surprised really.

Who exactly aren't you surprised about?

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Ummm...okay. Everyone here has either said that they are not quite sure what righteous judgment is or that you shouldn't judge a person for something when you are doing something worse. You know the whole plank speck business. Sounds like common sense to me.
I'll keep that in mind next time I get accused of something I have not done.

Who exactly aren't you surprised about?
People that are ignorant to reality.

Thunder's Muse

Perhaps it means to judge yourself before you start judging others?

I have a hard time with this whole 'judging others' position. I find that the second a person starts judging another, they open themselves up to judgement, also. Round and round we go.

john w

Hall of Fame
You must absolutely determine to whom is the Lord Jesus Christ addressing, before any interpretation can be reasonably determined:

John 7:11,12-

1Then the Jews sought him at the feast, and said, Where is he?

12And there was much murmuring among the people concerning him: for some said, He is a good man: others said, Nay; but he deceiveth the people.

"the Jews" is contrasted with "the people." He was addressing the Judeans, the men of Judea, the "religious" leaders, "experts," to be distinguished from the multitude of the people, verse 12, and verse 31-

30Then they sought to take him: but no man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come.

31And many of the people believed on him, and said, When Christ cometh, will he do more miracles than these which this man hath done?

"they"-"sought to take him"

vs.

"many of the people"-"believed"

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
None is righteous, no not one

God is righteous

Think like God thinks...the problem here is a lot of people have NO IDEA about how God thinks...clueless.

They think this. When God comes to judge He will judge with equity, this means in evangelical parlance most [the overwhelming mass] of humanity are going to hell.

Jw is showing massive insight in the post above

bybee

None is righteous, no not one

God is righteous

Think like God thinks...the problem here is a lot of people have NO IDEA about how God thinks...clueless.

They think this. When God comes to judge He will judge with equity, this means in evangelical parlance most [the overwhelming mass] of humanity are going to hell.

Jw is showing massive insight in the post above

Agreed!