toldailytopic: What convinced you that the Bible is the word of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ps82

I wasn't personally convinced until a little while ago, when I did my own research to learn about who wrote the scriptures, why they wrote them and how the Bible was assembled.

I then was more convinced by the time I discovered the number of consistent manuscripts available for comparison, and how the Dead Sea scrolls helped scholars determine the amount of accuracy in our Old Testaments.

And most recently, I was confounded to find the prophesies that describe the coming of the messiah- and how those accurate writings pre-date the time of Jesus' birth.

I always try to look for evidence that tests what the books say about themselves. That's just me being a snotty little physicist, and a good Berean.

I know you shouldn't NEED such scientific dating techniques to prove something like the Bible credibility, but it sure helps. Should you need it, the external evidence IS there! You just have to look for it.

Look for it and want to accept it. Things are sort of like what God told Samuel... when Samuel was hurt because the people were rejecting him as their leader ... and were asking for a king to rule over them instead.
God told him, "They are not rejecting you, Samuel. They are rejecting me."

I believe this fits people who don't want to say that scripture is the inspired Word of God ... They are actually rejecting God - not simply the scripture.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
"Jesus said to her: I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, although he be dead, shall live" (John 11:25). Verses like those.

fool

Hall of Fame
If you are talking about how I know it's the voice of the Living God, then this is what I've discovered.

If the Word of God comes in a dream ... then it will be a short and to the point dream ... whose details cannot be quickly or easily forgotten. Usually the interpretation of the dream comes through personal contemplation and usually one finds that the interpretation fits the truth in scripture... sometime revelation come within the natural world when it comes true ... or revealed by a pastor, who interprets your dream during his Sunday sermon... etc.

If the Word of God comes to you in a still small voice ... it's harder ... but I've found it comes true ... and that is the evidence. For example: I heard a voice within my mind warning that I was going to be in a car wreck. I listened, just in case, and tried to do all the things I could think of to get home safely ... but the wreck happen anyway right at my house! Since then I've decided to PRAY about warnings ... something I did not think of at the time.

The neatest thing is when I've had a dream and the next morning on awaking the interpretation comes as a still small voice or as a sudden flood of scriptures that all fall into logical place that increases my understanding of a matter.

Once I prayed for help in a situation that was concerning me. The answer came the next morning in a short simple statement, and did not seem, at first, to be an answer to my specific prayer... but I decided to follow the suggestion and that prevented problems I may have had at work ... and, in fact, listening and following brought praise from my employer and victory in a situation. This proved to me that God knows my needs better than I do!

If it is an audible voice ... well, that was very confusing to me ... for years ago I only heard my name called twice on two occasions. No, other comments or anything were made then ... nor so far.

When reading the written word I find that, if God is showing me something, which He wants me to understand ... then He puts the scriptures together for me... then they help me understand other parts of the scripture. I also do not forget what I have read and can usually remember where I read it. This is happening to a person that has trouble quickly remembering the names of even my friends at times ... and who cannot remember from one Christmas to the next what gifts I got. IT'S A MIRACLE!

Thank you very much for sharing that.
What would you say to a Muslim that reported similer experiences?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Though it may be a case of semantics, in a true sense the Bible is "The word of God". For me, it was the Holy Spirit that convinced me that the Bible is God's message to man.

“And for this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received from us the word of God's message, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.” 1 Th 2:13

“You search the Scriptures , because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me; and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life.” John 5:39-40

“And beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.” Luke 24:27

“Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled." Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and He said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and rise again from the dead the third day; and that repentance for forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem” Luke 24:44

“And when Philip had run up, he heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?" And he said, "Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this: "He was led as a sheep to slaughter; And as a lamb before its shearer is silent, So He does not open His mouth. "In humiliation His judgment was taken away; Who shall relate His generation? For His life is removed from the earth." And the eunuch answered Philip and said, "Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself, or of someone else?" And Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him.” Acts 30-35

"And the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea; and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily, to see whether these things were so." Acts 17:11

"And when he (Apollos) wanted to go across to Achaia, the brethren encouraged him and wrote to the disciples to welcome him; and when he had arrived, he helped greatly those who had believed through grace; for he powerfully refuted the Jews in public, demonstrating by the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ." Acts 18:27-28

"For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures" 1 Corinthians 15:3-4

"For whatever was written, in earlier times, was written for our instruction, that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." Romans 15:4

“What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we beheld and our hands handled, concerning the Word of Life” 1 John 1:1

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being by Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.” John 1:1-5

“And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. John bore witness of Him, and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me has a higher rank than I, for He existed before me.'" For of His fulness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.” John 1:14-17

“And He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood; and His name is called The Word of God.” Revelation 19:13

Romans 10:17 literally says…

So faith comes by hearing the message concerning Christ.

The message of God is revealed to us in the Scriptures, and the New Testament gives us an account of the Word made flesh and the message of the gospel, that is contained in the Scriptures.

The Scriptures are where Jesus, Paul and the others turned to confirm that Jesus was the fulfillment of all that the Scriptures spoke of concerning Christ. The New Testament is written to affirm, confirm, and convince us that the Scriptures point to Jesus as the Christ and the message concerning Christ. They are reliable witnesses and commentators. The Scriptures reveal to us that Jesus is the Word of God.

”This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words.” 1 Corinthians 2:13

The truth of the Scriptures was revealed to the Apostles through the Holy Spirit and has guided them into all truth regarding the message concerning Christ. This is why the New Testament is reliable.

“We give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you, since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints; because of the hope laid up for you in heaven, of which you previously heard in the word of truth, the gospel, which has come to you, just as in all the world also it is constantly bearing fruit and increasing, even as it has been doing in you also since the day you heard of it and understood the grace of God in truth” Colossians 1:3-6

“For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Heb 4:12

There is a true delineation between the word of God, the scriptures, and the bible. They are often spoke of as the same thing, and they are not, even though they work together to bring us God's message concerning Christ.

The Word should be exalted!
The Scriptures revered!
The Bible used!

When we read the New Testament, they proclaim the Scriptures and the Word is exalted!

“You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them; and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” 2 Tim 3:14-17
What he said.

Ps82

Thank you very much for sharing that.
What would you say to a Muslim that reported similer experiences?

From my perspective as a follower of Jesus Christ, I would suggest that Jesus was trying to reach them and reveal himself.

I guess I'd have to hear what they say about what they have heard from God. I've heard of Muslims in our time hearing from God and even being healed in the name of Jesus. I've heard that many of them are converting - some publicly and some quietly. I believe that the ONE true God loves all people the same ... and would that all men were 'saved.'

Personally, for me at this time in history, I simply don't trust the Muslim religious leaders or political leaders. I believe they brain wash the people in order to manipulate them to their will.

Maybe, I'm wrong ... but I'm suspicious.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Wow. Nydhogg is a pretty nice guy...he didn't berate you or the bible,he merely said he is unconvinced. so i guess the billions who are unconvinced are morons as well? we can't all abandon reason and logic...:juggle:
Atheism is proof that one can do so with ease.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by horiturk
Wow. Nydhogg is a pretty nice guy...he didn't berate you or the bible,he merely said he is unconvinced. so i guess the billions who are unconvinced are morons as well? we can't all abandon reason and logic...

Atheism is proof that one can do so with ease.

The former meth user currently known as Nydhogg isn't an atheist, he believes in god.

27 of them to be precise (or was it 32?, I have trouble keeping up with false religions).

Nydhogg

The former meth user currently known as Nydhogg isn't an atheist, he believes in god.

27 of them to be precise (or was it 32?, I have trouble keeping up with false religions).

"He believes in god" is an awkward phrasing. He believes in the Gods is gramatically correct.

Let's set the matter of the number of Gods straight:
32, if obscure characters mentioned in the lore but not described are ignored. It jumps over 40 if you take every god mentioned as a real entity. Only 16 or so are actively worshipped.

Thor and Sif, Odin and Frigg, Frey and Gerdr, Odr and Freyja, Njordr and Skadi, Tyr and Heimdall, Bragi and Idunn, Saga and Eir... are typically worshipped by all Heathens.

Whether Baldr and/or Loki and Sigyn should be worshipped is a matter of some contention (big understatement.)

Eostre, Forseti, Nerthus, and Saxnöt are worshipped only in specific cultural traditions. Forseti is Icelandic, Nerthus is Gothic, Eostre and Saxnot are Anglo-Saxon deities.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
"He believes in god" is an awkward phrasing. He believes in the Gods is gramatically correct.

Let's set the matter of the number of Gods straight:
32, if obscure characters mentioned in the lore but not described are ignored. It jumps over 40 if you take every god mentioned as a real entity. Only 16 or so are actively worshipped.

Thor and Sif, Odin and Frigg, Frey and Gerdr, Odr and Freyja, Njordr and Skadi, Tyr and Heimdall, Bragi and Idunn, Saga and Eir... are typically worshipped by all Heathens.

Whether Baldr and/or Loki and Sigyn should be worshipped is a matter of some contention (big understatement.)

Eostre, Forseti, Nerthus, and Saxnöt are worshipped only in specific cultural traditions. Forseti is Icelandic, Nerthus is Gothic, Eostre and Saxnot are Anglo-Saxon deities.
What's your take on the "controversy" of Idris Elba being cast as Heimdall?

I was convinced because I don't think one man, or any number of men, could produce a work so complex, wise, and rational. Any attempt by man would produce a work full of contradiction and gibberish (I am aware that there are many accusations of contradictions in the Bible, but none of them really apply or make sense).

horiturk

Originally Posted by horiturk
Wow. Nydhogg is a pretty nice guy...he didn't berate you or the bible,he merely said he is unconvinced. so i guess the billions who are unconvinced are morons as well? we can't all abandon reason and logic...

you're some kind of jerk.....who cares how many gods he believes in?
do you always go around accusing people of being meth users? perhaps people should start spreading the rumor about your crack smoking and male prostitution.

horiturk

I was convinced because I don't think one man, or any number of men, could produce a work so complex, wise, and rational. Any attempt by man would produce a work full of contradiction and gibberish (I am aware that there are many accusations of contradictions in the Bible, but none of them really apply or make sense).

no offense personally.....but the bible is full of contradictions and gibberish. prophecies have a wide variety of interpretations,quite conveniently,being cryptic and all. as for rational....not sure talking animals,miraculous happenings,godly plagues are....none of which are recorded anywhere else except this book.....which the religious had a vested interest in.the bible isn't even complex,it's just long winded.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
no offense personally.....but the bible is full of contradictions and gibberish. prophecies have a wide variety of interpretations,quite conveniently,being cryptic and all. as for rational....not sure talking animals,miraculous happenings,godly plagues are....none of which are recorded anywhere else except this book.....which the religious had a vested interest in.the bible isn't even complex,it's just long winded.
:darwinsm: Oh! No offense personally..... It is :spam: statements like that which motivated me to do the historical research necessary to the subject. You know little to nothing and it shows.

Nydhogg

What's your take on the "controversy" of Idris Elba being cast as Heimdall?

It's a comic book movie, not a movie about the real Gods. So, no controversy :p.
I'm glad they're making a Thor movie, though. Used to like the comics when I was a kid ;).

So, in short, I'm not offended.

As for the portrayal... Well, probably I wouldn't cast a black man as a Norse God (it would look weird, blacks ain't Norse.), but besides thinking it looks weird, I wouldn't consider it disrespectful or offensive.
It's an artistic choice. Granted, it's a weird one, and one I wouldn't have made myself (I wouldn't have picked a white man to portray an African God either), but it's their movie after all.

Last edited:

horiturk

:darwinsm: Oh! No offense personally..... It is :spam: statements like that which motivated me to do the historical research necessary to the subject. You know little to nothing and it shows.

keep telling yourself that buddy,when you repeat a lie often enough it starts to sound like the truth

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It's a comic book movie, not a movie about the real Gods. So, no controversy :p.
I'm glad they're making a Thor movie, though. Used to like the comics when I was a kid ;).

So, in short, I'm not offended.

As for the portrayal... Well, probably I wouldn't cast a black man as a Norse God (it would look weird, blacks ain't Norse.), but besides thinking it looks weird, I wouldn't consider it disrespectful or offensive.
It's an artistic choice. Granted, it's a weird one, and one I wouldn't have made myself (I wouldn't have picked a white man to portray an African God either), but it's their movie after all.
I asked because there is a group protesting the movie over it.

Nydhogg

The protests come from white supremacists (the Council of Conservative Citizens), not from heathens.

Most heathens I know consider that casting weird and puzzling, but not an affront. Hell, most of us are glad they're making the movie at all :p!

It's good to have movies about Thor, even about the comic book version ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.