toldailytopic: What are your favorite home remedies for colds, flu, and other common

Dena

Cod Liver Oil--works like a charm for controlling fibromyalgia.

Really? I took it by capsule for a while then fell out of the habit. Does it help with the pain? I have a whole drawer full of supplements I've taken on and off...mostly off. :doh:

Dena

I got a humidifier for my room, not sure it does anything for the actual cold but my nose was dry as a popcorn fart and sore from blowing it every 45 seconds for 10 day in a row. The humidity helped a lot for that.

I can't sleep without a humidifier anymore.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I can't sleep without a humidifier anymore.

I really like it too, my cold is gone now but I use it most nights when I remember. The room just feels nicer. I also actually like the "white noise" it makes.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I really like it too, my cold is gone now but I use it most nights when I remember. The room just feels nicer. I also actually like the "white noise" it makes.

I kinda like noise at night also. In summers I used to always have a small fan hooked to my bed to help keep me cool at night. And now I have a window AC unit. I get so used to the noise over the summer that in the winter when I stop using them the silence is terrible. :shocked: I used to keep the bedside fan going even into the fall and winter but point it away from me just for the noise. :chuckle:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
I kinda like noise at night also. In summers I used to always have a small fan hooked to my bed to help keep me cool at night. And now I have a window AC unit. I get so used to the noise over the summer that in the winter when I stop using them the silence is terrible. :shocked: I used to keep the bedside fan going even into the fall and winter but point it away from me just for the noise. :chuckle:

I know what you mean with the "terrible silence" :) hard for me to sleep in an extremely quiet place. I like the TV or radio on really low, or a fan, or best is running water, rain is great too.

elohiym

toldailytopic: What are your favorite home remedies for colds, flu, and other common ailments?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

But if that fails ... just ride it out.

God gave you a body that can deal with it.

Drink plenty of water; eat what you crave.

Listen to your body.

Masking the symptoms can slow the healing process.

elohiym

Biggest deterrent to illness, IMO: Don't touch your face! (Eyes, nose, mouth.)

My wife told me yesterday, though I haven't checked the source, that closing the lid when you flush the toilet stops the spread of disease.

People who leave the lid up when they flush, take note. :comeout:

elohiym

Does anyone think that their mind can make a difference?

I don't have time to run down all the research done in the last fifteen years, but it's a scientific fact that perception (what you believe) controls biology and biology controls behavior. In other words, when Jesus said, "Your faith has made you well," he wasn't exaggerating. Explains the placebo effect, too.

elohiym

Don't eat your food at Burger Doodle.......until after you have washed your hands(germs from the paper money).

And never let your kids play in a McDonalds play place, or any restaurant play place. Those ball pits and climbing gyms are bad news.

ThermalCry

Chicken soup, lots of water, and lots of rest. I've found that good amounts of sleep is the best thing to get over small bugs.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned

toldailytopic: What are your favorite home remedies for colds, flu, and other common ailments?[/SIZE]

Jagermeister is great for warming up chilly nights with a cold.

Apple cider vinegar., I use it for when I feel bloated. It also helps clear the throat and a good backup if one ever runs out of peroxide or rubbing alcohol.

For the flu, lots of soup and Wheel of Fortune :thumb:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What are your favorite home remedies for colds, flu, and other common ailments?

Rugby clears up my sinuses. Also, the air in Burger Kings is good for a runny nose. That's not really "home" though, is it. :chuckle:

shrek303

If I get a cold a nice big bowl of hienz tomato soup, a good film and snuggle up under a duvet, in a nice warm loveliness. If that fail pretend to have man flu and get a load of sympathy haha

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I don't have time to run down all the research done in the last fifteen years, but it's a scientific fact that perception (what you believe) controls biology and biology controls behavior. In other words, when Jesus said, "Your faith has made you well," he wasn't exaggerating. Explains the placebo effect, too.

Thanks. :e4e:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 5th, 2012 10:52 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Don't get them....I think I am UNIQUE, an english person who never had a cold. [I didn't say I never had a runny nose]

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:think:

When I was a kid: it was mom knew best.

In the days when I had the brown bottle bag flu: it was more of the hair of the dog that bite you.

Since then, hot lemon tea, Mrs Psalmist our house famous vegetable soup and chili.

bybee

:think:

When I was a kid: it was mom knew best.

In the days when I had the brown bottle bag flu: it was more of the hair of the dog that bite you.

Since then, hot lemon tea, Mrs Psalmist our house famous vegetable soup and chili.

Our long time family remedy is, hot green tea laced with honey, whole-wheat toast lightly buttered (no margarine!) with orange wedges to wet the lips. All must be delivered with a mother's TLC!