toldailytopic: Violent video games - Should they be regulated? Outlawed? Left alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
That is the cost of technology. Technology can either be a tool for good or evil. Schools once worried that the internet would be too inappropriate for the schools because that would lead to possible bad things to happen. I would mention what kind of things but I am not allowed to do so. Anyways, everything comes with a cost and you have to weigh the pros with the cons to see if it's worth it or not. Some schools chose to use the internet, Facebook, texting, things like that, and make it part of the classroom, and in doing so they increase kid's ability to do school work.

Video games are also tools which can either be used for evil or for good. If we try avoiding these issues then we will only be beaten by the competition whom will pervert video games and use them for evil.

We can create Christian video games.
But there has to be an alternative to the other video games.
If there is no alternative then people will find ways to play the bad ones.
It's like outlawing bad drugs or things.
People are addicted to bad things.
Only replacements, alternatives can stop that.
And parenting helps, too.

But God in us is the most important factor.

But do people want Christian video games? Would they sell?

Quincy

When I was a kid the violent games started to release. You had games like Doom, Mortal Kombat and Time Killers. My father and I played all those games together, in the same way we watched movies like The Predator and Rambo. Watching Rambo is actually one of the first memories I have. The difference between my dad and most people's is that my dad is a hardass who constantly preached the difference between reality and fiction. He was and is still always telling people his views on what is real and just mere belief or fantasy.

The truth of the matter is that it's only entertainment. A child who can't tell the difference between fantasy and reality is a child whose parents let them down. My friends and I have played violent games since we were old enough to physically be able to play games and none of us are violent people, have criminal records or anything like that. Hell, I don't even have a speeding ticket on my record, despite the fact I've played through every edition of Gran Turismo except for 5 which will be finished soon.

Basically know your children (I would bet money the majority of parents don't truly) and teach them the difference between reality and fantasy and if they can't grasp it don't let them play mature games. Don't even bring them in the house. If they can, then the content in these games is really irrelevant. It will never be anything more than entertainment to them.

The ratings are there to let you know what the game contains so as a parent you can make an educated choice on whether to let your child play it or not. The law has gone as far as it should, imo. Make sure an adult is the person purchasing the mature rated game, same as tobacco and all that other jazz.

Quincy

Well there are those sickening Left Behind games, and I'm sure there must be others.

There was a Castle Wolfenstein clone on the Super Nintendo called Noah's Ark 3D where you wondered the ark as Noah tossing fruit and grain at angry animals who wanted to eat you, :chuckle: . That sold maybe 1000 copies lol.

Then there was Bible Adventures made by a developer named Wisdom Tree who only made christian games. It was on the Nintendo which also starred Noah and was basically a Mario Bros. game. It wasn't even a legal game. Nintendo never liscensed it so they used a chip to zap the security features in the console so they could bypass it. Very moral, eh? :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.