toldailytopic: Underwear bombs, shoe bombs, what should be done to protect us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 30th, 2009 12:13 PM

toldailytopic: Underwear bombs, shoe bombs, etc. what should be done to protect our commercial airliners?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Besides some very extreme measures, I'm not sure much can be done. The only way to get any possible threat is to fully search every bag and every person prior to boarding a plane. That isn't very practical and would make everybody angry.

I saw this quote the other day and thought it was interesting...
Only two things have made flying safer [since 9/11]: the reinforcement of cockpit doors, and the fact that passengers know now to resist hijackers.​
Link

Another quote from that same link...
And what sort of magical thinking is behind the rumored TSA rule about keeping passengers seated during the last hour of flight? Do we really think the terrorist won't think of blowing up their improvised explosive devices during the first hour of flight?​

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I disagree that not much can be done.

We know who most of these terrorists are, don't let them fly on our planes. :idunno: That policy would have thwarted the NWA Christmas Day failed attack.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I disagree that not much can be done.

We know who most of these terrorists are, don't let them fly on our planes. :idunno: That policy would have thwarted the NWA Christmas Day failed attack.

That I do agree with.

If we can’t catch a Nigerian with a powerful explosive powder in his oddly feminine-looking underpants and a syringe full of acid, a man whose own father had alerted the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria, a traveler whose ticket was paid for in cash and who didn’t check bags, whose visa renewal had been denied by the British, who had studied Arabic in Al Qaeda sanctuary Yemen, whose name was on a counterterrorism watch list, who can we catch?​

Link

:doh:

Jackson

I think we should outlaw underwear and shoes...

That way the people that don't have any wont feel so bad about not having any.

koban

Swift, painful and public executions for terrorists. And if they're Muslim, some means to defile the body and prevent them from entering their "heaven" - wrap the body in pigskin, etc.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Profile, and don't let them on the plane when his dad says he is loyal to radical islam, and means to murder people.

Schipol is stricter than shown. They just need to add to the list of people that are automatically screened.

Newman

Give everybody on the plane a taser or let everybody bring whatever they want to on board. Of course, the companies should be in charge of what's restricted, but if I were in charge, then I would hand everybody a taser before boarding, and then take them back once the plane has landed. Kind of like the 3D glasses at some movies.

No need to search anybody for anything with that system.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:noid:

Buy your own plane.

And learn to fly.

And don't have any friends.

.... :think:

I got ONE of those at least. .. :D

DocJohnson

I agree with TB... we need high-tech, full-body scanners in the airports.

And Sharon Stone was hawt in that movie.

The Berean

I agree with TB... we need high-tech, full-body scanners in the airports.
I know they have some really sophisticated scanning technologies that are used to check trucks for contraband and illegal aliens. I would think it could be adapted to airports.

And Sharon Stone was hawt in that movie.

I'm amazed how much Stone has aged since Total Recall was made. Well the movie is almost 20 years old.

Alate_One

Um explosives sniffers?

I honestly don't know why we don't have these. Go to the CN tower in Toronto and you'll go through one. They can pick up nearly all known explosives.

Or heck go with Dogs if you're not into high tech. Its ridiculous what they are talking about putting people through. It WILL kill the airline business completely.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let me guess... you know how to fly.
No, I h.... waitYES! I know how to fly. That's it exactly! Well done, sir! :)

:ahem:

So, what does everyone else think should be done to protect our c?

:squint:

DocJohnson

Um explosives sniffers?

I honestly don't know why we don't have these. Go to the CN tower in Toronto and you'll go through one. They can pick up nearly all known explosives.

Or heck go with Dogs if you're not into high tech. Its ridiculous what they are talking about putting people through. It WILL kill the airline business completely.

Dogs might be cheaper, actually.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I knew that's how you got to Taiwan!
:banana:

Did you know that back in the day there was a $1,000,000 reward for anyone who could steal an army aircraft from The Mainland and deliver it to the Taiwanese?

:chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.