toldailytopic: Theology. What's your favorite theological topic to discuss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Graphite

The most important? Soteriology, since salvation is of primary importance.

My favorite, though? I'd have to say theonomy, followed by a tie between soteriology and theodicy (obviously from a perspective of dispensationalism and open theism, respectively). And theonomy obviously from a perspective of dispensational theonomy, specifically.

Ps82

I still get pretty fired up about predestination and freewill.

I forget - do you believe that these are both true for all Christians or not?

I happen to believe that predestination only applied to the Christ, our Lord Jesus (the ONE who was promised to come even before the world began).

There are a few exceptions of things like "divinely manipulated births" ... like Samuel, Samson, John the B... and maybe (???) a few of the prophets.

The rest of us came unto our parents according to the luck of the gene pool which they brought together.

I definitely believe in the gift of freewill.

LindaR

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for May 27th, 2010 09:02 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
Christology...The doctrine concerning Jesus Christ

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I forget - do you believe that these are both true for all Christians or not?

I happen to believe that predestination only applied to the Christ, our Lord Jesus (the ONE who was promised to come even before the world began).

There are a few exceptions of things like "divinely manipulated births" ... like Samuel, Samson, John the B... and maybe (???) a few of the prophets.

The rest of us came unto our parents according to the luck of the gene pool which they brought together.

I definitely believe in the gift of freewill.
I am an open theist.

I believe in corporate predestination i.e., those in the Body of Christ are predestined to live in heaven with God.

Yet, the future is open. Therefore we have freewill and it is not predetermined who will become a part of that body. (which of course is the only biblically accurate position)

SaulToPaul 2

The mystery of Christ, hidden in the scriptures of the prophets

+

The mystery of the gospel, hidden in God, unsearchable in the scriptures of the prophets

The Graphite

I should probably add that I have a passing fascination with angelology and its subset of demonology (the latter focused on the nature and especially the specific, original motivations of the Adversary, himself).

However, I keep this are of theology well in its place, understanding its secondary (if not tertiary) importance in the greater scheme of things. But it has been a fascination for years.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I am an open theist.

I believe in corporate predestination i.e., those in the Body of Christ are predestined to live in heaven with God.

Yet, the future is open. Therefore we have freewill and it is not predetermined who will become a part of that body. (which of course is the only biblically accurate position)

:thumb:

Maybe I should start a thread about what you have said that I :thumb:'d to.

I tried to pos-rep you, but I got the pass more rep around message, so I gave you a thumbs up.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The mystery of Christ, hidden in the scriptures of the prophets

+

The mystery of the gospel, hidden in God, unsearchable in the scriptures of the prophets

For the record, MAD and KJV-only are not my favorite topics.

We have the revelation of Christ and the gospel even if we reject ultradispensationalism.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
STP and chickenman's answers are pretty close. Since I wouldn't consider the gospel itself to be a topic of debate, but the implications of it certainly are argued.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:first: Jesus. Beginning with . . .
Luke 1:1-2
Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us, just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word delivered them to us.

Acts 1:1
(And) Of all that Jesus began both to do and teach.

Others that I favor . . .
The Gospels, Salvation, Psalms, the Second Coming, etc.

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The most important? Soteriology, since salvation is of primary importance.

My favorite, though? I'd have to say theonomy, followed by a tie between soteriology and theodicy (obviously from a perspective of dispensationalism and open theism, respectively). And theonomy obviously from a perspective of dispensational theonomy, specifically.

I should probably add that I have a passing fascination with angelology and its subset of demonology (the latter focused on the nature and especially the specific, original motivations of the Adversary, himself).

However, I keep this are of theology well in its place, understanding its secondary (if not tertiary) importance in the greater scheme of things. But it has been a fascination for years.

Are you a formally educated ologyologianist, TG; or is it just a hobby? :D

Nang

TOL Subscriber
:thumb:

Maybe I should start a thread about what you have said that I :thumb:'d to.

I tried to pos-rep you, but I got the pass more rep around message, so I gave you a thumbs up.

I have to say this endorsement is a great disappointment to me.

I was unaware Psalmist was an Open Theist.

:nono:

Nang

kmoney

Hall of Fame
:think:

Used to be Charismatic/Pentecostal related issues

Then it was MAD related issues with a little bit of Open View vs. Closed view.

Now, I'm not sure. :idunno: Probably a combination of the following...

- Christology / Trinity
- scripture itself and the nature of scripture, including cultural/religious influences on the writers
- Jesus being the Messiah and as he relates to OT prophecies and the prophecies he fulfilled, or lack thereof / Jews mostly rejecting him
- why Paul seems to have his own theology, yet MAD doesn't seem quite right either
- the hiddenness of God
- who is saved
- God as love / loving God, which is kind of related to the salvation one
- eschatology
- what churches should be like

It's kinda a long list. I'm sure I could add more. There's a lot of stuff swirling around in my head. :noid:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
... a combination of the following...

- Christology / Trinity
- scripture itself and the nature of scripture, including cultural/religious influences on the writers
- Jesus being the Messiah and as he relates to OT prophecies and the prophecies he fulfilled, or lack thereof / Jews mostly rejecting him
- why Paul seems to have his own theology, yet MAD doesn't seem quite right either
- the hiddenness of God
- who is saved
- God as love / loving God, which is kind of related to the salvation one
- eschatology
- what churches should be like

I'll bet you TG knows a single -ology word that means "a combination of the following
  • ..."

YO! :sozo: TG?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have to say this endorsement is a great disappointment to me.

I was unaware Psalmist was an Open Theist.

:nono:

Nang
Who are you disappointed in?? Psalmist or God? After all... you believe God predestined that Psalmist be an open theist.

That never gets old.

Last edited:

chickenman

a-atheist
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Who are you disappointed in?? Pslamist or God? After all... you believe God predestined that Psalmist be an open theist.

That never gets old.

You misspelled Psalmist, Knight.

Love,
Lighthouse

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Who are you disappointed in?? Pslamist or God? After all... you believe God predestined that Psalmist be an open theist.

That never gets old.

I have no idea what fate God has predestined for either Psalmist or you, Knight.

But, I can still hope that you both will be granted grace to escape your current theological errors, and that your beliefs in Open Theism will prove to be only temporary.

Nang

Status
Not open for further replies.