toldailytopic: Theistic evolution: best arguments for, or against.

eameece

They can for a day.
No they can't. There has to be sunlight in order for plants to exist. Plants cannot be built without photosynthesis. If Voltaire wants to introduce glucose and CO to explain what happened, then he can't exclude photosynthesis to explain what happened.
Maybe not, but it certainly lists the all-time greats.
And there still could have been many more that were not listed.

eameece

Dang you!

I was afeared my plants in the front yard had ceased to exist, now that it's night!

Hey, if a tree is out in the quad, and you don't see it, it doesn't exist! Berkeley proved that!

Logic good enough for dinosaurs.....

If plants exist, that proves photosynthesis has taken place. That means the prior existence of the Sun.

Can you follow that one, Barney?

I don't have my hopes up....

One Eyed Jack

No they can't.

Sure they can. Take a houseplant, and put it in a closet for 24 hours. I'm willing to bet it'll still be alive when you take it back out.

And that's in the dark. You can supply it with artificial lighting and leave it in there indefinitely. I mention that because God said "let there be light" before He created the sun, moon, and stars. So, it's no problem either way you want to look at it -- the plants were already receiving light, which they could have done without for a single day anyway.

One Eyed Jack

The best argument I can think of for theistic evolution would be something like "the scientists say evolution is a fact, and I believe in God, so He must have had something to do with it."

The best argument against it would be the Holy Bible.

That's my take.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The best argument I can think of for theistic evolution would be something like "the scientists say evolution is a fact, and I believe in God, so He must have had something to do with it."

That's my take.
I'm with Jack!
:thumb:

Tolken

That's my take.

Actually, the Bible easily can be interpreted to support evolution. Gen. 1 is all about processes....

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Have you noticed that all the people who say that evidence can be interpreted any way you like, with equal validity, suddenly change their story when it comes to the Bible?

Damian

Neo-Darwinism is atheistic. It does not invoke any kind of universal mind, creative intelligence, or teleology to explain evolution. It is not compatible with theistic evolution. If you believe that neo-Darwinism can completely explain evolution, then you're either an atheistic materialist or a believer in a superfluous God.

Tolken

No interpretation necessary -- I'm just taking what it says at face value. I take it you agree with my argument for?

At face value Gen. 1 states mediated processes and as I noted in a previous post allows for an extended and overlapping time frame. Clearly "Let there be...", "Let the land...", etc. strongly suggest a mediated creation in which God's method was through the materials created and natural processes.

One Eyed Jack

Out of curiosity, what kind of evidence would it take to change a YECs mind? Would you ever?

You never know what might change one's mind until it happens. I never thought I'd be a YEC until I became one. At this point it would take something pretty impressive to convince me otherwise -- certainly something I haven't seen before.

Alate_One

Out of curiosity, what kind of evidence would it take to change a YECs mind? Would you ever?

Ahh too bad I missed the beginning of this one . . .

I don't think it's usually the science that convinces a Christian to change. Faith in a particular version of Christianity is often too strong. It's when you realize how you've viewed scripture is too rigid that the breakthrough comes. Though scientific evidence can force re-evaluation of one's core beliefs, assuming you have an open mind to allow such a thing.

I don't think most YECs would be convinced by anything other than God telling them directly or taking a time machine to the past. And even then, a majority would probably still think it was some kind of "liberal/atheist" plot. :chuckle: The human mind can be amazingly inflexible.

But for those that may have an interest in Theistic evolution/Evolutionary creation/Biologos, here are some resources.

Web Lectures by Denis Lamoureux

The Biologos foundation