toldailytopic: The theory of evolution. Do you believe in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alate_One

Sure, so the consensus, for awhile got it right (as far as we know now). Then when a better tool came along - the microscope - SG came back with a vengeance. So with better tools for understanding, the scientists of the day knew better than those poor fools of yesterday and took up SG until Pasteur laid it to rest. Of course we are even now revising germ theory, and some serious scientists question the idea that AIDS comes from the HIV. Some diseases do NOT come from germs... Which isn't to say that germ theory is debunked, but it does give me pause.
It has been well known that not all diseases are caused by infectious agents for a very long time. That isn't part of the germ theory of disease. Some "serious scientists" might still believe the earth is flat and homeopathy works too. That AIDs causes HIV is not questioned by anyone with any scientific integrity.

You seem to be willing to believe all kinds of fringe "science". Unfortunately the average layperson is ill equipped to distinguish between good science and bad. It's even hard for scientists in other areas of science to distinguish bad science in another field. Your best bet is to go with what the experts say. We all do this in other areas of our lives, I trust my doctor's medical advice and my mechanic's advice on how to fix my car. Why has science become a do-it-yourself field where people feel comfortable picking and choosing whatever "science" they feel most comfortable with? It simply doesn't make any sense.

See, it's that that I have trouble with because, to follow scientific method, scientific experiments must be reproducible, and closed, and stuff like that. Show me a scientific experiment that demonstrates evolution.
No. You have a misunderstanding of the scientific method. Not everything CAN be tested with a "closed reproducible experiment". That doesn't make those things untestable or unfalsifiable. The scientific method states things must be testable not that we must be able to observe every aspect in the lab. I fault poor scientific education for making so many people think this is the only way science can work.

All of that said we can certainly do experimental evolution. There are experiments done all the time. The parts of evolution that can be tested on the timescales and conditions that humans can provide have and are being tested constantly. Organisms clearly are capable of change over time and there is no reason to believe there is some magical "wall" that stops evolution at some point.

The real problem is anything that is done in a lab is never enough for committed YECs. The kind of evidence you want is only available from a time machine. If you want to talk about the actual available evidence, I'll be happy to do so.

What we seem to have with the evolutionary theory is an explanation - a conclusion - rather than a testable idea. There are no hypotheses in the study of evolutionary processes that can be tested without "if we find and dig up ..." or "if we do not find ... when we also find ..." It just looks so unscientific to me. I can't help it.
gain, that's because your understanding of science is incomplete. We can't replicate full scale meteorological phenomena in the lab either, but that doesn't mean there is no field of meteorology. I certainly can't take a hurricane or a tornado into the lab and run tests on it. But we can make predictions about how the phenomena work and test those predictions by taking data in the field.

I think that you should re-think that notion that "good science" is only the stuff of the most recent 200 years...
The point I'm making isn't that anything old is necessarily wrong or bad. There were certainly great men that did amazing things in the past. And the fact they did those things is what allows modern science to go forward. The point is as time goes on, human scientific endeavors have been correcting the mistakes of the past. The level of sophistication of our studies is much higher now, the odds of us missing something huge is relatively low. (Though particle physics may be an exception to that)

All of that said I note you couldn't come up with a THEORY that was overturned. You said they are overturned "all the time". I hear this statement a lot from creationists. It's almost as if they want to disdain the scientific method as never getting anything right.

That's crap. They just worded kinetic theory to save face for Lavoisier. It's like saying that the psychic was right because ... well, it's true that I was born, he got that part right... Lavoisier was a preeminent scientist and no-one was interested in embarrassing him.
The concept of energy moving from a warm body to a cold one wasn't wrong, they simply had no clue of the mechanism, which is fairly understandable given their level of instrumentation.

You and I clearly see this standard differently. I've given examples that satisfy me, but they do not satisfy you. It's the same in reverse though - you give me information concerning the evidence for evolution, and it satisfies you, but clearly not me.
As I said before, I go by "what is the scientific consensus" and "how solid is that consensus", whereas you appear to be going by, "science that reinforces my worldview".

Evolution was contrary to my worldview. I didn't like it. I liked the creationist stories of dinosaurs living with people and all creatures living at the same time. I didn't accept evolution because it was good or easy, I accepted it because the evidence overwhelmed me, and the creationist stories ultimately made no sense in light of the evidence.

I more readily trust God's Word than you do concerning things like the global flood and the appearance of age in the creation. I read the book of Job and know that God is a God of the Big Miracle. He is mighty and immeasurable and supernatural. I read about angels and demons and know that there is a spirit world interacting with the natural world in ways that I cannot know or be certain of.
And this is the problem, you're not trusting "God's word" you're trusting your reading of it. Genesis was not written to you or I. We may apply it to ourselves but we need to be careful in doing so. It is very easy to rip parts of the Bible out of its proper context and make the scriptures say things that were not fully intended.

I too believe in an omnipotent God. God could have certainly done things differently, and it might have been easier for us if angels walked visibly among us or God had left the perfect signature of an actually 6000 year old earth. But He didn't. It's okay theologically to believe in a 6000 year old earth with animals that were all poofed into existence at once. That is not supported scientifically.

The supernatural cannot be isolated in a natural lab, and men (even scientists) are fallible whereas God is not.
I agree that the supernatural cannot be tested. But the evidence that is in the world is such that were God to have actually miraculously created the earth 6000 years ago, He would have had to actually fabricate evidence. This is because the history of the earth is written in the rocks and in our very DNA. There is no reason for it to be the way it is OTHER than evolution. Appearance of age simply doesn't work on close examination.

God could have made each species totally unique in its DNA (this is physically possible) even accounting for possible necessary similarities. God could have made certain genes of *all* species identical. Either of those possibilities would be a death knell for evolution. But we don't have either of those possibilities. Instead we have an orderly progression of DNA similarities and differences that mirrors phylogenetic trees made from morphological similarities.

There's no reason for humans to have dozens of nonfunctional genes for the sense of smell, and to have those broken genes in the exact same place on the chromosome as other mammals in which those same genes are still functional, like mice and dogs. Or why should we still retain bits of egg yolk genes, if we never had ancestors that laid eggs? These are minor examples, there are plenty of others.

Alate_One

Alateone posted a pic of creatures not found together but nicely settled in in their epoch slots. But I think these finds are not about when these creatures lived but about where they settled.
Look at his pic.
They WERE found together. The deposit is called "Burgess shale". Settling doesn't explain the pattern of fossils we see. They aren't sorted by buoyancy. If they were you'd see all the lighter stuff at the top and the heavy larger organisms at the bottom. But at the bottom we find tiny worm-like creatures and higher up shelled creatures.

I asked him how he sees progression instead of something else, he did not answer.
I must have missed that one . . . at least I think you're referring to me. Kind of hard to answer something like that since you don't say what the "something else" is.

Flipper

We are being told that we are 98% the same in our DNA as the chimpanzee. The fact of the matter is scientists have known better for years and yet they propagate this myth with shameless abandon.

See, the problem you have to provide a better explanation for than the evolutionary one isn't that the chimp's genome has a 98% similarity to the human genome (which as far as I recall is a legitimate estimate based on what's being counted), it's that you have to explain why the chimp's genome is most similar to the human one.

Young Earth Creationist Todd Wood was just writing about this last week, as it happens. He provides a nice summary of the problem you have to explain:

Furthermore, the phylogenetic significance of a "percent similarity" doesn't necessarily depend on the precise value of the similarity. Sure, in the case of humans and chimpanzees, it seems like a pretty big thing that we have nearly identical genomes. But if that were not the case, if the chimp genome was only 80% or 75% identical to the human genome, that would still be pretty good evidence of kinship between humans and chimps. Rana seems to think that lower similarity is a significant issue. He wrote, "If a 99% genetic similarity implies a close evolutionary relationship, what does a 90% similarity mean?" It would just mean that humans and chimps had a slightly less close evolutionary relationship.

Don't believe me? Let's do a little thought experiment: Imagine there were no chimpanzees. Evolutionary biologists would then emphasize the genomic similarity to gorillas. If there were no great apes at all, then we'd hear about the similarity to monkeys. If there were no other primates, we'd be confronted with the general similarity of all mammalian genomes. Shoot, humans have a high degree of genomic similarity to elephants, mice, and aardvarks. The chimp genome just sticks out because it is the most similar, not because it's 90% or 95% or 99.999% similar. The actual number (whatever it is) doesn't really matter all that much when two genomes share statistically significant similarity.

Todd Wood's blog

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Yes we have done this
before, and I still find it
ridiculous that you think
ancient ideas that were
never scientifically tested
are equivalent to modern
evolutionary theory which
is rigorously tested
constantly.----alateone-------the thing being constantly tested is a concept no honest YEC has had or has ever had a problem with. What hasn't ever been tested and has no possible means of being tested is this concept: Species evolved from more simpler species who do not share a whole host of characteristics that the modern species posesses.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
See, the problem you have
to provide a better
explanation for than the
evolutionary one isn't that
the chimp's genome has a
98% similarity to the
human genome (which as
far as I recall is a legitimate
estimate based on what's
being counted), it's that you
have to explain why the
chimp's genome is most
similar to the human one.-----Flipper. There has to be a species that has a genome closest to the human genome. The chimp happens to be it. It doesn't mean anything more than the number 3 is closer to 2 than the number 5. The ball is the evolutionists corner as for the responsibility of explaining how the most similar genome means that it was the ancestor of the human. BTW, what exactly determines genetic relatedness? It seems to me that any number of genetics stats could be used for comparison.

Alate_One

What hasn't ever been tested and has no possible means of being tested is this concept: Species evolved from more simpler species who do not share a whole host of characteristics that the modern species posesses.
What you've just described isn't evolution. All species share commonalities, even humans and bacteria. Evolution is descent WITH modification. Everything that is now is just a variation on what came before. These variations make new combinations that look different but at their core use the same parts as everything else.

The origin of life isn't covered so God could have poofed the first cells into existence and evolutionary theory would still be fully intact.

Alate_One

BTW, what exactly determines genetic relatedness? It seems to me that any number of genetics stats could be used for comparison.

Percent identity is the exact number of As, Ts, Gs and Cs in our DNA that are exactly the same and in the same order in the two species. Humans and chimpanzees are closest in this regard.

But no scientist would assert that we DESCEND from chimps. They are our closest living relative. Sort of like 1,000,000th cousins. :)

Flipper

Flipper. There has to be a species that has a genome closest to the human genome. The chimp happens to be it. It doesn't mean anything more than the number 3 is closer to 2 than the number 5. The ball is the evolutionists corner as for the responsibility of explaining how the most similar genome means that it was the ancestor of the human. BTW, what exactly determines genetic relatedness? It seems to me that any number of genetics stats could be used for comparison.

No one is saying that the chimpanzee is the human ancestor, the argument is that the chimp and the human share the closest common ancestor. They're diverging branches.

No Sheep Here

I grant you, on the other hand, that humans presently are evolving (at least in some fashion), and this is an adequate explanation for the various differences we see among different groups of human populations (why Africans are black and Europeans white, for example).
A thinker would see the bigger picture.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
If there were no other
primates, we'd be
confronted with the general
similarity of all
mammalian genomes.
Shoot, humans have a high
degree of genomic
similarity to elephants,
mice, and aardvarks. The
chimp genome just sticks
out because it is the most
similar, not because it's
90% or 95% or 99.999%
similar. The actual number
(whatever it is) doesn't
really matter all that much
when two genomes share
statistically significant
similarity.---------Young earth creationist, Todd Wood. This guy thinks its a problem for YEC but it is actually a good debating point for us. If genetic similarity is proof of descent from a common ancestor then evolution is in the bag. But is it really proof? All mammals share much of the same genome because all mammals are warm blooded and have fur and give live birth. The same genetic structure can do all those things in all mammals. God could have used the same genetic material in several different animals to get the same characteristics in all those animals. A 98% Common genome with chimps simply means that God created an extra 2% of genetic material that was markedly different in each creature to produce the differences he wanted. It is just as plausible an explanation for the evidence as common ancestry is.

Alate_One

Young earth creationist, Todd Wood. This guy thinks its a problem for YEC but it is actually a good debating point for us. If genetic similarity is proof of descent from a common ancestor then evolution is in the bag. But is it really proof? All mammals share much of the same genome because all mammals are warm blooded and have fur and give live birth. The same genetic structure can do all those things in all mammals. God could have used the same genetic material in several different animals to get the same characteristics in all those animals. A 98% Common genome with chimps simply means that God created an extra 2% of genetic material that was markedly different in each creature to produce the differences he wanted. It is just as plausible an explanation for the evidence as common ancestry is.

But because of the way DNA works, that 95% does not HAVE to be 95%. It only need be maybe . . 60%. DNA is redundant so that you can encode the EXACT same information in an almost infinite number of ways. Why is it all the same when it doesn't have to be?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Yes there is a lot of genetic redundancy alateone. The same functions can be produced by knocking out a whole lot of genetic code. What is redundant, however, is not necessarily nonfunctional. It isn't strictly for the same purpose either. While certain antibodies can be produced from a number of different gene arrangements, Any one of those genes involved in one of the production schemes, can also be involved in the production of another function like development. If you wipe out the redundant genes for one function, you will end up harming another completely unrelated function such as development. So why the shared redundancy? Both chimps and humans have all the same functions produced by those redundant genes. One set of redundant networks is best suited for humans and chimps and no other species.

Alate_One

Yes there is a lot of genetic redundancy alateone. The same functions can be produced by knocking out a whole lot of genetic code. What is redundant, however, is not necessarily nonfunctional. It isn't strictly for the same purpose either. While certain antibodies can be produced from a number of different gene arrangements, Any one of those genes involved in one of the production schemes, can also be involved in the production of another function like development. If you wipe out the redundant genes for one function, you will end up harming another completely unrelated function such as development. So why the shared redundancy? Both chimps and humans have all the same functions produced by those redundant genes. One set of redundant networks is best suited for humans and chimps and no other species.
You misunderstood what I said. I'm not talking about extra copies of genes (though that is another possible point). I am talking about the genes themselves and the DNA code itself.

CE284900FG0010.gif

For instance if I wanted to encode an enzyme that was made up of:

Arginine, Lysine, Leucine, Alanine and Proline I could encode my DNA as:

AGAAAACTTGCACCA OR CGGAAGTTAGCTCCG OR CGTAAATTGGCCCC OR CGTAAACTCGCGCCT

And they will all have IDENTICAL function as an enzyme since the only thing that matters is the amino acids produced at the end.

I could come up with dozens, probably hundreds more combinations and this is of a set of only 5 amino acids. Most genes encode proteins that are hundreds to thousands of amino acids long. Which means nearly infinite number of possible combinations.

Why then should a chimp have genes that are essentially indistinguishable from a human's if you can make many DNA sequences that are not identical that do have identical functions?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
A thinker would see the bigger picture.

Can you demonstrate, with the force of necessity, that man evolved from pre-existing organisms? I say that he did not, since man is rational. He transcends the natural order. I think that I exist, and therefore I did not evolve. :idunno:

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
I could come up with
dozens, probably hundreds
more combinations and
this is of a set of only 5
amino acids. Most genes
encode proteins that are
hundreds to thousands of
amino acids long. Which
means nearly infinite
number of possible
combinations.------you can make an infinite number of combinations but what matters is whether all those combinations can produce the exact same enzyme just like the 5 amino acid example you gave me. If that is true, then i will address it at that time. But for now, Lets stick with the 5 amino acid example. There are 4 combinations that indeed produce the same enzyme. That is good engineering. Mutation destroys one and you still have three to carry on. You showed 4 dna sequences that produced the same enzyme. Some or possibly all 4 sequences could also be involved in producing other enzymes or in gene regulation or in gene switch flipping. If a human and chimp posessed all 4 dna sequences, then it could mean both animals also have the same functions or enzymes that all 4 sequences are also involved in.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
For instance if I wanted to
encode an enzyme that was
made up of:
Arginine, Lysine, Leucine,
Alanine and Proline I could
encode my DNA as:
AGAAAACTTGCACCA OR
CGGAAGTTAGCTCCG OR
CGTAAATTGGCCCC OR
CGTAAACTCGCGCCT
And they will all have
IDENTICAL function as an
enzyme since the only
thing that matters is the
amino acids produced at
the end.-----alateone. Each of the 4 sequences could also produce other enzymes, no? If so, then it is possible the other enzymes are needed in both animals that share the same 4 sequences.

Alate_One

Each of the 4 sequences could also produce other enzymes, no? If so, then it is possible the other enzymes are needed in both animals that share the same 4 sequences.
No, they all produce the exact same set of amino acids in the exact same order. That is the point. If God designed both humans and chimpanzees separately from scratch, there is no reason He HAD to use the same DNA sequence for both species. He could pick from an almost infinite number of different ones.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
I know what your point is alate. Do you know mine? I understand that all 4 sequences produce the same enzyme with the amino acids in the exact same order each time. My question is: Is that the limit of the capabilities of each of those 4 sequences? If not, your point is moot. If so, then further examination is needed.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because if you're just saying everyone likes to be rich and powerful without context then your statement doesn't connect to the rest of what you said in your original post. You made that statement in reference to *why* scientists keep supporting evolution.
My statement was only unclear to people that are hostile to anything a creationist says.

If the essence of what you were saying was everyone likes to have a job, and scientists need to support evolution to keep their jobs, why didn't you just say that?
That's what I said. But since you are hostile to anything a creationist says, you were blind to the quote "like everyone else."

I think you've been caught you in your own words and now you're trying to pin it on me as misunderstanding you, though perhaps you didn't intend to imply what you did. We always seem to get into the same sort of argument, you saying one thing and then trying to spin it another when called on it. It's all a distraction from the discussion anyway.
It isn't really as much a distraction as much as a demonstration that you cannot have an honest conversation on this topic. And that's your fault, not mine.

But let's get on to one of your evidences:
For instance if I wanted to encode an enzyme that was made up of:

Arginine, Lysine, Leucine, Alanine and Proline I could encode my DNA as:

AGAAAACTTGCACCA OR CGGAAGTTAGCTCCG OR CGTAAATTGGCCCC OR CGTAAACTCGCGCCT

And they will all have IDENTICAL function as an enzyme since the only thing that matters is the amino acids produced at the end.

I could come up with dozens, probably hundreds more combinations and this is of a set of only 5 amino acids. Most genes encode proteins that are hundreds to thousands of amino acids long. Which means nearly infinite number of possible combinations.

Why then should a chimp have genes that are essentially indistinguishable from a human's if you can make many DNA sequences that are not identical that do have identical functions?
Taking these working outcomes: AGAAAACTTGCACCA OR CGGAAGTTAGCTCCG OR CGTAAATTGGCCCC OR CGTAAACTCGCGCCT, and any more working outcomes, what percentage would they be of the total number of possible outcomes? Would the possible outcomes be greater or less than 4^10?

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
If
God designed both humans
and chimpanzees
separately from scratch,
there is no reason He HAD to
use the same DNA
sequence for both species.
He could pick from an
almost infinite number of
different ones.-----Alatone. That is only true if any one of an infinite combinations could produce all the characteristics seen in both chimps and humans. Is there really an infinite number of sequences available for each characteristic? I would think not. Several maybe, but not infinite. If 100 different sequences all produce the same characteristic, and nothing else, then you have a valid point. If each redundant sequence multitasks ,so to speak, then you have no point at all. I say that there are not an infinite number of sequences that can produce ALL share characteristics in humans and chimps, and so God did not have an infinite number of sequences to choose from. There isn't an infinite number of sequences or gene combinations that can produce ALL characteristics shared by humans and chimps.

Status
Not open for further replies.