toldailytopic: The Royal wedding are you interested in it? How about the idea of a ro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samstarrett

Not particularly interested, though I do love weddings in general. I don't know these people, so I can't seem to care much about the wedding. I hope they have a successful marriage especially since, like it or not, their lives are in the public eye.

I frankly don't comprehend why the people of the UK continue to pay through the nose for such useless royalty.

They don't. The royals are a huge bargain. George III gave up the revenue from the Crown Estates to the government for a fixed Civil List payment on his accession to the throne.

Profit from the Crown Estates(2009, from the Telegraph): £226,500,000.

Total Civil List Payments(2009, from the Telegraph): £7,900,000

Total spending on all functions of the monarchy combined(2009, from the Telegraph): £35,100,000

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...he-Royal-family-is-a-bargain-for-Britain.html

So, the total profit from the Royal Family in 2009 for the British government was £191,400,000. And that's not to mention the money they bring in in tourism.

Concerning:

"Monarchy can easily be debunked, but watch the faces, mark well the debunkers. These are the men whose taproot in Eden has been cut: whom no rumour of the polyphony, the dance, can reach–men to whom pebbles laid in a row are more beautiful than an arch. Yet even if they desire mere equality, they cannot reach it. Where men are forbidden to honor a king, they honor millionaires, athletes or film stars instead–even famous prostitutes or gangsters. For spiritual nature, like bodily nature, will be served; deny it food, and it will gobble poison."

--C.S. Lewis

If you are defining "fluff" as having a poor a priori assumption going in, then I'd agree. It assumes that there are no men of virtue other than kings and that kings are all honorable. A strange assumption considering history.

All parents are not honorable and all people of virtue are not parents, and yet Paul wrote Eph 6:1-2.

Last edited:

rexlunae

The point being, of course, if republicans can't get a republic, they want the king as weak as possible. But not all monarchists are absolutists.

Well, yes, I understand that, but so many of the problems with monarchy aren't possible to compromise on. It inevitably entangles personal affairs with affairs of state.

rexlunae

You mean like royal weddings being state occasions?

Not just the wedding, but the whole marriage. All the choices, including the choice of who can participate, how well the couple works together, divorces, affairs, disagreements, etc. People living and raising children under a spotlight, never really able to escape from public life.

Samstarrett

Not just the wedding, but the whole marriage. All the choices, including the choice of who can participate, how well the couple works together, divorces, affairs, disagreements, etc. People living and raising children under a spotlight, never really able to escape from public life.

So, what you are objecting to is the lack of freedom and the public scrutiny suffered by royals?

Samstarrett

I object in both directions, but in some ways, I feel sorriest for the people who are bread and raised to be royals. They are both privileged and excluded.

That's actually one of the most intelligent arguments against monarchy I've ever faced. It's certainly a refreshing break from the 'good to be king' nonsense one often hears from republicans. I do honestly sometimes wonder if we have anyone has the right to do that to a person; make him King without his consent. Still, the man who would not seek the office is the one I want to hold it. It's a hard question.

rexlunae

That's actually one of the most intelligent arguments against monarchy I've ever faced. It's certainly a refreshing break from the 'good to be king' nonsense one often hears from republicans.

Well, I'd love to take credit for it, but it's not an argument I invented. It is, I think, often overlooked because so many people don't notice the downsides.

I do honestly sometimes wonder if we have anyone has the right to do that to a person; make him King without his consent. Still, the man who would not seek the office is the one I want to hold it. It's a hard question.

I think Prince Charles is a great example of this. So much of his life has been dictated by his birth. His education, his career, his sham first marriage. And it's all occurred in the public spotlight, and with quite a few people clucking their tongues at him.

Charity

The DVR is set. :)

America's enjoying the moment! got to admit the romance of a king an princess are historical idea's never seen in the USA....

an the vow's before God? ....smile.... obey is easy at first! corse a princess wants to make the king happy.

I listened to charles an Di's vow's earlier today....wow....!
an how many were broken? Diana got his Names all wrong! lol....poor girl off to a great start...

alwight

I object in both directions, but in some ways, I feel sorriest for the people who are bread and raised to be royals. They are both privileged and excluded.

Who are these "bread" people, are they self raising and do they just loaf around perhaps? ;)

bybee

Who are these "bread" people, are they self raising and do they just loaf around perhaps? ;)

It is 0405 my time. The coffee is on and my easy chair beckons. I intend to watch this wedding and wish God's blessing on this young couple.

alwight

It is 0405 my time. The coffee is on and my easy chair beckons. I intend to watch this wedding and wish God's blessing on this young couple.
It's rather nice to see the women outdoing the clergy in silly hats. ;):toad::patrol::dhelm:

Status
Not open for further replies.