toldailytopic: The Methodists: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Real Sorceror

I should have been more clear. "Christ crucified" means he was crucified for my sins in my place. Many in the Christian religion do not adhere to this. For example, in the "Pentecostal" church I went to for a few years, Christ was crucified to sit upon the throne of David in the Kingdom by the Jews, and you can rise again like him and overcome death if you endure to the end. Where as Paul, the apostle to the gentiles revealed the mystery that he was slain by God himself for the sin of the world.

Do they preach it?
:idunno: Maybe? Its been close to 10 years since I went regularly, so I can't say for sure. I've always assumed the "Christ died for my sins" part was standard Christian fare.

Ted L Glines

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 18th, 2011 10:43 AM

toldailytopic: The Methodists: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Guess it depends on who is judging. When I was growing up (churches were maybe different then), I was in the Methodist Church. I lived on a farm with my grandparents. The minister was Stanley Reed and he will never be forgotten. When my grandparents were ill, he came out to the farm and saw that the chores were done and that we were fed and comfortable. Stanley was that kind of a minister; that kind of a man. Regardless of religious forms, Stanley knew and understood Jesus. He would have done the same if he had been Jewish or Catholic.

Lon

It is necessary to distinguish between Methodists. The United MC is far from the root. They have become liberal in their views and the gospel message, while preached within the walls and certainly clear in the liturgy, is benign of His power, frankly due to liberal seminaries. Liberal pastors abound but one may find 1 in 10 or so to have a reverend with close attachments both to his Bible and his Savior and conservative evangelical views, however, this pastor has also necessarily embraced the liberalism of his college and thusly, has traded for a measure of impotence.
There are several split off denominations that have sought to re-gain what was felt lost from the Wesylian lineage, one of the largest is the Free Methodist denomination.

What did Methodists get right? They are ecumenical in approach, have strong scriptural liturgy and hymns, and are actively involved in missions. As was mentioned above, they are a congenial group with a strong community feel. Because of such an eclectic invitation to members, evangelicals are free in their Sunday School classes to share the gospel and the Methodist material, traditionally is strong on Biblical Evangelism.

What they got wrong? Their ecumenical approach often leaves them with a strong Liberal label. I still remember the commercial they produced in the 90's "I'm a Muslim, and I'm a Methodist," said one man in a turban. The UMC didn't balk or shy away from the contradiction at all, instead opting for a Christ who welcomes all liberally. Good message? Yes, but taken too far, they sacrificed truth standing upon "Love one another" over and above a scriptural truth. All sermons I have heard in the UMC are topical. They tend to start with a scripture passage and then quickly segway into humanitarian concerns, albiet, at times, they use a scriptural parable or story, especially from Jesus, to coincide with the social point. They wrestled long and hard when they discovered no few of their pastors were homosexual and, to the best of my knowledge, still are struggling with anything definitive in dealing with the issue.

To sum it up, if a church stands for nothing, they fall for everything. The UMC is too liberal in deference to ecumenical emphasis and social concern. In the nineties, "I'm a Muslim and I'm a Methodist" was their intended and promoted by-line. Such quickly reveals both their strengths and weaknesses at a glance. Whatever good or bad you can say about the quote, is true of the UMC in a quick assessment and nutshell.

Buzzword

From what I've read of Adam Hamilton, a UMC pastor and author, the best thing about the Methodist church is their attempt to bring together the spiritual and social gospels.

Never settle for saving a man's soul if you've left his belly empty, his clothes in tatters, his family homeless, or his children hopeless.

Krsto

I think this is part of the problem. I was a Methodist (see how I said that?) I don't think that any church should be making more of the name of their denomination.

Why do churches "confirm" people in the church? This always speaks of teaching them the content of their "church denomination founder".

I think it's good to be a member of a local Christian church and we should be members based on our testimony in Christ. When a church wants to confirm you it means they want to give you unnecessary information about someone that they hold dear to their history. This is how churches get off track. Churches should be equipping disciples not making converts.

Amen Sky.

Ideally, we should be members one of another as members of the body of Christ and love each other as members of the same family with the same Father and Jesus our Brother, which involves speaking the truth in love and correcting one another, iron sharpening iron, and not allow ourselves to be defined by membership in a particular denomination.

some other dude

Superman was a Methodist
Man of Steel doesn't attend church any more, though
By Douglas Cannon

Superman grew up as a Methodist. But he isn’t active any more.

I learned that piece of trivia in December from a blog entry by David Crumm. A religion writer for the Detroit Free Press, he presents a wide range of information about faith in the news each day at www.readthespirit.com.

Crumm asked 10 trivia questions Dec. 11 about religious affiliations of comic book superheroes. He based the answers — including Superman’s church background — on the massive collection of facts about religion at www.adherents.com.

Superman addressed questions of religious belief ... and specifically mentioned growing up as a Methodist.
Preston Hunter of Dallas has been collecting data about faith groups on that site — including information on the religious affiliations of notable people, both real and fictional — since at least 1996.

Hunter’s Web site reports that Jonathan and Martha Kent, Superman’s adoptive parents, were both church-going Methodists. Martha was more active in the church than Jonathan. But both characters taught Clark Kent (Superman) solid Midwestern Protestant beliefs.

Clark grew up attending Smallville (Kansas) Methodist Church, the Web site says.

Writers at DC Comics, publisher of the various titles featuring Superman, reportedly acknowledged the Kents’ Methodist ties for years in unpublished back stories about the characters. The association became official in Action Comics #849 (July 2007) and #850 (December 2007).

Superman addressed questions of religious belief in those issues and specifically mentioned growing up as a Methodist. But after his super powers developed, Clark felt uncomfortable attending services. He thought he knew too much about people in the congregation.

As I considered Superman’s story, I was struck by how consistent it is with current Methodist stereotypes. For example, Superman didn’t want people to know his true identity. We often aren’t quick to proclaim our denominational affiliation, either.

But when people needed justice, Superman was there. When people are oppressed, The United Methodisdt Church — through such agencies as the General Board of Church & Society and the General Board of Global Ministries — is one of the first groups to take up the cause.

When people need help, Superman responds. So does our denomination through such agencies as the United Methodist Committee on Relief.

People around the world associate Superman’s “S” emblem with his quest for “truth, justice and the American way.”

Let’s hope that just as many people associate our cross-and-flame logo with our witness to the love and power of God to transform the world through Christ.

And Jeremiah was a bullfrog. :chuckle:

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I haven't been to a service of theirs. Do they preach Christ crucified?
Yes.
Not much difference in Baptist and Methodist doctrine wise.

In the movie A River Runs Through It, the father said that Methodists were just Baptists that could spell!

My grandparents were die hard Methodists.

It did seem that the Methodist church had communion more often than Baptist.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Strange it is, very strange that "Methodists" under the leadership of John Wesley at Oxford were a fervent religious group who sought salvation by rigourous religious devotion, hence their name.

But looking back a few years later every one of that group would acknowledge that they were not saved, not even christian, even good John Wesley and his brother Charles. In fact John Wesley was one of the last of the group to get saved.

While JW was busy getting run out of America on a rail, George Whitefield, who Wesley had a few years previously taken under his somewhat imperious wing and mentored, this Whitefield was preaching already to vast crowds in Bristol.

He had discovered that one can be saved in an instant, changed forever in the twinkling of an eye by the new birth. Brilliant scholar though Wesley was, he was a slow learner in this.

Wesley and his methodists certainly saved Britain from the revolutions other nations experienced and is truly the father of the welfare state...from Methodism comes the Salvation Army.

The story of the great awakening is a thrilling story. Of particular interest is the story of George Whitefield and what divided him from Wesley.

Heavenbound

I think this is part of the problem. I was a Methodist (see how I said that?) I don't think that any church should be making more of the name of their denomination.

Why do churches "confirm" people in the church? This always speaks of teaching them the content of their "church denomination founder".

I think it's good to be a member of a local Christian church and we should be members based on our testimony in Christ. When a church wants to confirm you it means they want to give you unnecessary information about someone that they hold dear to their history. This is how churches get off track. Churches should be equipping disciples not making converts.

I would agree with you there Right on Sky!

assuranceagent

From the website of the United Methodist Church (denominational website):

In continuity with past Christian teaching, we recognize tragic conflicts of life with life that may justify abortion, and in such cases we support the legal option of abortion under proper medical procedures.

As far as I'm concerned, that's an open and shut case.

...and that's not all.

They also affirm that all religions have validity to their "paths" of salvation, Allah and God are (in essence) the same (with the exception of that whole trinitarian bit), and other such fun facts.

If they got anything right, they have utterly obliterated it with their attempts to make the gospel "culturally relevant."

:nono:

Methodist Q&A: Click me

Cracked

From the website of the United Methodist Church (denominational website):

As far as I'm concerned, that's an open and shut case.

...and that's not all.

They also affirm that all religions have validity to their "paths" of salvation, Allah and God are (in essence) the same (with the exception of that whole trinitarian bit), and other such fun facts.

If they got anything right, they have utterly obliterated it with their attempts to make the gospel "culturally relevant."

:nono:

Methodist Q&A: Click me

Many, if not most, of the mainline Christian denominations have become excessively liberal in certain ways. However, there are always groups that pull away from the denomination as this happens.

assuranceagent

Many, if not most, of the mainline Christian denominations have become excessively liberal in certain ways. However, there are always groups that pull away from the denomination as this happens.

That's why many, if not most, of the mainline Christian denominations have become excessively powerless and ineffective in their willingness to run counter-culture and spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

If even the Church refuses to stand on what's right and preach the truth, what chance does the world have? :idunno: