toldailytopic: The Methodists: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 18th, 2011 10:43 AM

toldailytopic: The Methodists: what did they get right, and what did they get wrong?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 18th, 2011 10:43 AM

A brief summary of modern Methodist beliefs and stances. Probably not all of them believe this way but this is their official position. The good will get a thumb up and bad will get a thumb down.

Arminian conception of free will :down:
The Trinity :up:
Consubstantial humanity and divinity of Jesus - unsure of these alphabet soup theories. Different churches have different ones. People make things harder than they should be. God is not a God of confusion. I'll just stick with the bible and leave the rest to God.
Anglican style Sacramental Theology. :down:
Draw from teaching of the Church Fathers. :down:
Involvement in the Temperance movement. :down:
Emphasis on education. :up:
"Homosexuality incompatible with Christian teaching". :up:

They have helped to host a growing orchestra where I live and they have done a lot of good things, but t
he Methodist church would not be my cup of tea. Let's just say I wouldn't make a very good Methodist. ;)

Krsto

A brief summary of modern Methodist beliefs and stances. Probably not all of them believe this way but this is their official position. The good will get a thumb up and bad will get a thumb down.

Arminian conception of free will :down:
The Trinity :up:
Consubstantial humanity and divinity of Jesus - unsure of these alphabet soup theories. Different churches have different ones. People make things harder than they should be. God is not a God of confusion. I'll just stick with the bible and leave the rest to God.
Anglican style Sacramental Theology. :down:
Draw from teaching of the Church Fathers. :down:
Involvement in the Temperance movement. :down:
Emphasis on education. :up:
"Homosexuality incompatible with Christian teaching". :up:

They have helped to host a growing orchestra where I live and they have done a lot of good things, but t
he Methodist church would not be my cup of tea. Let's just say I wouldn't make a very good Methodist. ;)

Does that mean you would make a bad Methodist? Yikes!

Krsto

I read somewhere they want to be a bridge between the liberals and the conservatives in Christianity. There is something to be said for that. (and I'm sure some will) ;)

Seydlitz77

A small bit of interesting trivia that I hope doesn't cause people to think negatively of the Methodists.

Before rejecting all Christian denominations of his day Joseph Smith was very close to the Methodists and was close friends with the Methodist Minister. In fact when Joseph was wondering which Church to join it was the Methodist minister who recommended James 1:5-6 to him and told him to take his question to God. Of course the minister was not expecting the answer Joseph received and ended his association and in order to protect the man's reputation years later Joseph did not mention the Minister's role in his official history which he published.

I personally haven't met or spoken with any Methodists so I reserve judgement.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I haven't been to a service of theirs. Do they preach Christ crucified?

Real Sorceror

I was raised Methodist and attended a local church for half my life. Honestly I'm not really sure how they differ from other Protestants. They always seemed more open and relaxed than other churches I've been to, but that might just be the community and not something inherently Methodist.

I haven't been to a service of theirs. Do they preach Christ crucified?
Yes, all the core stuff was there as far as I can remember. Christ was crucified and then resurrected and whatnot.

some other dude

BeliefsMain article: Articles of Religion (Methodist)

Most Methodists identify with the Arminian conception of free will, through God's prevenient grace, as opposed to the theological fatalism of absolute predestination. Historically this distinguishes Methodism from the Calvinist tradition prevalent in Reformed churches. In strongly Reformed areas such as Wales, however, Calvinistic Methodists remain, also called the Presbyterian Church of Wales. The Calvinist Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion was also strongly associated with the Methodist revival.

John Wesley is studied by Methodist ministerial students and trainee local preachers for his interpretation of Church practice and doctrine. One popular expression of Methodist doctrine is in the hymns of Charles Wesley. Since enthusiastic congregational singing was a part of the early Evangelical movement, Wesleyan theology took root and spread through this channel.[19][20]

Methodism affirms the traditional Christian belief in the triune Godhead: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, as well as the orthodox understanding of the consubstantial humanity and divinity of Jesus. Most Methodists also affirm the Apostles' Creed and the Nicene Creed. In devotional terms, these confessions are said to embrace the biblical witness to God's activity in creation, encompass God's gracious self-involvement in the dramas of history, and anticipate the consummation of God's reign.[citation needed]

Sacramental theology within Methodism tends to follow the historical interpretations and liturgies of Anglicanism. This stems from the origin of much Methodist theology and practice within the teachings of John and Charles Wesley, both of whom were priests of the Church of England. As affirmed by the Articles of Religion, Methodists recognize two Sacraments as being ordained of Christ: Baptism and Holy Communion.[21] Methodism also affirms that there are many other Means of Grace which often function in a sacramental manner, but most Methodists do not recognize them as being Dominical sacraments.

Methodists, stemming from John Wesley's own practices of theological reflection, make use of tradition, drawing primarily from the teachings of the Church fathers, as a source of authority. Though not infallible like holy Scripture, tradition may serve as a lens through which Scripture is interpreted (see also Prima scriptura and the Wesleyan Quadrilateral). Theological discourse for Methodists almost always makes use of Scripture read inside the great theological tradition of Christendom.[citation needed]

It is a historical position of the church that any disciplined theological work calls for the careful use of reason. By reason, it is said, one reads and is able to interpret Scripture coherently and consistently. By reason one determines whether one's Christian witness is clear. By reason one asks questions of faith and seeks to understand God's action and will.

Methodism insists that personal salvation always implies Christian mission and service to the world. Scriptural holiness entails more than personal piety; love of God is always linked with love of neighbours and a passion for justice and renewal in the life of the world.

A distinctive liturgical feature of Methodism is the use of Covenant services. Although practice varies between different national churches, most Methodist churches annually follow the call of John Wesley for a renewal of their covenant with God. It is not unusual in Methodism for each congregation to normally hold an annual Covenant Service on the first convenient Sunday of the year, and Wesley's Covenant Prayer is still used, with minor modification, in the order of service. In it, Wesley avers man's total reliance upon God, as the following excerpt demonstrates:

Christ has many services to be done. Some are easy, others are difficult. Some bring honour, others bring reproach. Some are suitable to our natural inclinations and temporal interests, others are contrary to both... Yet the power to do all these things is given to us in Christ, who strengthens us.
...I am no longer my own but yours. Put me to what you will, rank me with whom you will; put me to doing, put me to suffering; let me be employed for you or laid aside for you, exalted for you or brought low for you; let me be full, let me be empty, let me have all things, let me have nothing; I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things to your pleasure and disposal.

—Wesley Covenant Prayer

Looks ok to me. :thumb:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Based on what I've seen so far they seem pretty good. I was going to visit a Methodist church several weeks ago. Never did go.

I think as long as a denomination isn't Calvinistic I'm pretty OK with it. :chuckle:

andyc

Every denomination seems to have at one time had its day. The methodists were great in the days of Wesley, and then it was the turn of the salvation army, then the pentecostal revival, and there'll be more great moves of God to come.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I was Baptized, raised and Confirmed a United Methodist.

I think this is part of the problem. I was a Methodist (see how I said that?) I don't think that any church should be making more of the name of their denomination.

Why do churches "confirm" people in the church? This always speaks of teaching them the content of their "church denomination founder".

I think it's good to be a member of a local Christian church and we should be members based on our testimony in Christ. When a church wants to confirm you it means they want to give you unnecessary information about someone that they hold dear to their history. This is how churches get off track. Churches should be equipping disciples not making converts.

Cracked

I am not a Methodist, but I am affiliated with Wesleyanism. I attend the local Salvation Army corps and go to a Nazarene school. If anyone has any questions about that particular understanding I can try to answer them.

Though I am not a Methodist, one thing I think they get right is the idea of prevenient grace. Another I think that has merit is an emphasis on practical theology, though this is not uniquely Wesleyan. The Wesleyan emphasis in this regard is on love, however, and the conversion of the heart--not some sort of dominionistic subduing of the heathens.

Welesly wrote:
"Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can."

Also, we have the Wesleyan Quadrilateral:

Scripture, reason, tradition, and experience

There are many good things to come from Methodism.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was raised Methodist and attended a local church for half my life. Honestly I'm not really sure how they differ from other Protestants. They always seemed more open and relaxed than other churches I've been to, but that might just be the community and not something inherently Methodist.

You know my position, as well as many other "mean" people here right? That has no bearing on salvation. You should be more relaxed. We rest in him. There isn't anything I can do to improve my Spirit before God.

Yes, all the core stuff was there as far as I can remember. Christ was crucified and then resurrected and whatnot.

I should have been more clear. "Christ crucified" means he was crucified for my sins in my place. Many in the Christian religion do not adhere to this. For example, in the "Pentecostal" church I went to for a few years, Christ was crucified to sit upon the throne of David in the Kingdom by the Jews, and you can rise again like him and overcome death if you endure to the end. Where as Paul, the apostle to the gentiles revealed the mystery that he was slain by God himself for the sin of the world.

Do they preach it?

Cracked

You know my position, as well as many other "mean" people here right? That has no bearing on salvation. You should be more relaxed. We rest in him. There isn't anything I can do to improve my Spirit before God.

I should have been more clear. "Christ crucified" means he was crucified for my sins in my place. Many in the Christian religion do not adhere to this. For example, in the "Pentecostal" church I went to for a few years, Christ was crucified to sit upon the throne of David in the Kingdom by the Jews, and you can rise again like him and overcome death if you endure to the end. Where as Paul, the apostle to the gentiles revealed the mystery that he was slain by God himself for the sin of the world.

Do they preach it?

If you mean "do they preach OSAS?" the answer is no. They are not dispensationalists either. However, I do believe that they tolerate many views, though do not condone as a church, the above.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
OSAS is a redundancy. That is the meaning of "saved", to be out of danger. If you can still die, you are not out of danger, nor saved.