toldailytopic: The 2012 Olympics. Are you excited about this years games? Which event

The Berean

David Rudisha!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :shocked: :bow:

Rudisha just won the gold medal in the 800 meters setting a new world record (his third WR) running 1:40.91!!!! :jawdrop: He is the first man under 1:41! It's hard to put into words how incredibly fast that is. He led from start to finished and he pulled the entire field with him. Of the other seven runners in the race, six set new personal records!!! The Americans finished 4th and 5th, running the 2nd and 3rd fastest 800m ever by Americans. Last place was run in 1:43.77. Are you kidding me!!! That time would have won the gold medal in 2000, 2004, and 2008! Wow.

david-rudisha-ken-2012-olympics-track-field-0QWwBI.jpg

kmoney

Hall of Fame
David Rudisha!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop: :shocked: :bow:

Rudisha just won the gold medal in the 800 meters setting a new world record (his third WR) running 1:40.91!!!! :jawdrop: He is the first man under 1:41! It's hard to put into words how incredibly fast that is. He led from start to finished and he pulled the entire field with him. Of the other seven runners in the race, six set new personal records!!! The Americans finished 4th and 5th, running the 2nd and 3rd fastest 800m ever by Americans. Last place was run in 1:43.77. Are you kidding me!!! That time would have won the gold medal in 2000, 2004, and 2008! Wow.

david-rudisha-ken-2012-olympics-track-field-0QWwBI.jpg

That was a great race. And I'm glad he was able to get gold and set that record. A cool story.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm hoping to see the men's 4x100 relay tonight. I'm sure Jamaica will get the gold but I'm hoping the US can pull out a silver. :thumb:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Morgan Uceny!!!! Not another fall in the 1500 meters?!!! :cry:
I would have felt for her more had she gotten up and ran her heart out to finish the race instead of immediately sobbing and beating at the track, then walking off apparently fully capable of continuing. The whole, "If I can't medal I'd rather not race" rankled me, especially given that other girl who nearly hobbled to the finish line in her race on principle.

I get the horrible lightening strikes twice aspect, but you're there to run. You're representing your country and are inarguably one of the best at what you do. The lowest and least Olympian is an Olympian, for Pete's sake. That's a rare honor. If you can't count yourself a winner at the starting gun you're an idiot.

Liu Xiang, Manteo Mitchell I salute you. :thumb:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Also, the mountain bike trail is amazing to watch, but why do the two commentators feel morally obligated to fill every single second with jabber. I'd hit mute but then I'd miss the crowd noise and feel.

Horribly chatty are these NBC analysts. It's really diminished my enjoyment of many of the events. I hope they do something about that the next go round.

Wile E. Coyote

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 27th, 2012 08:20 AM

toldailytopic: The 2012 Olympics. Are you excited about this years games? Which events do you like and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
I enjoyed the volley ball games. I met my wife playing volleyball at a church I was visiting. She hated my guts at the beginning and avoided conversation with me. But then we kept running into each other on the subway system in Chicago on the way home from work. We started talking regularly. One thing led to another.

Thanks to volleyball I have been married to her for many, many moons.

Lon

Also, the mountain bike trail is amazing to watch, but why do the two commentators feel morally obligated to fill every single second with jabber. I'd hit mute but then I'd miss the crowd noise and feel.

Horribly chatty are these NBC analysts. It's really diminished my enjoyment of many of the events. I hope they do something about that the next go round.
:up: Like lose their bid to air it!

The Berean

I would have felt for her more had she gotten up and ran her heart out to finish the race instead of immediately sobbing and beating at the track, then walking off apparently fully capable of continuing. The whole, "If I can't medal I'd rather not race" rankled me, especially given that other girl who nearly hobbled to the finish line in her race on principle.

I get the horrible lightening strikes twice aspect, but you're there to run. You're representing your country and are inarguably one of the best at what you do. The lowest and least Olympian is an Olympian, for Pete's sake. That's a rare honor. If you can't count yourself a winner at the starting gun you're an idiot.

Liu Xiang, Manteo Mitchell I salute you. :thumb:

You're being way to hard on Uceny. As most know she had a similar spill at the 2011 World Championships. Uceny was ranked #1 in the world and had the fastest 1500 time in 2011. She was the heavy favorite at the World Championships but got tripped from behind on the 3rd lap. She got up and finished the race. I think all the frustration just hit her after she fell down in the Olympic 1500m final. Plus she had a nasty cut on her knee as well. She may not have been able to run right after that.

628x471.jpg

Her words atferwards where simply from frustration of not being able to show what she really could do. It's likely she would have medaled and perhaps even win the gold medal. No American woman has ever won the Olympic 1500m title.

I'm a big fan of hers. She has worked really hard to make herself into a world class distance runner, a runner capable of competing with the East Africans. That is not easy. She graduated from Cornell University. I have a lot of respect to Ivy League athletes because the Ivy League doesn't give athletic scholarships. Ivy League athletes have to earn their way into their school as real students and not "hired guns" (unqualified students) like the Big 10, SEC, and other big sports conferences do.