toldailytopic: The 2012 Olympics. Are you excited about this years games? Which event

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 27th, 2012 08:20 AM

toldailytopic: The 2012 Olympics. Are you excited about this years games? Which events do you like and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

lovemeorhateme

toldailytopic: The 2012 Olympics. Are you excited about this years games? Which events do you like and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I'm going to watch the opening ceremony tonight to see how good a job London can do, but the games themselves don't really interest me much.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

I usually get excited for the summer olympics.

My favorite events are....track & field, gymnastics, sometimes diving, and for some reason I find rowing to be fascinating at times. And ping pong. If it is still an olympic sport. :chuckle:

:sozo: GO USA!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Since my daughters are in gymnastics I'm sure that event will be super popular in my house. I also like the swimming and track & field.

I like the events that are not based on judgment calls like gymnastics is.

In swimming and track & field you objectively win by being the first one to the finish.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I usually get excited for the summer olympics.

My favorite events are....track & field, gymnastics, sometimes diving, and for some reason I find rowing to be fascinating at times. And ping pong. If it is still an olympic sport. :chuckle:

:sozo: GO USA!
Ping Pong is a great sport but I like to play it more than watch it. Sadly it's one of the sports that America has no shot at. :chuckle:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Ping Pong is a great sport but I like to play it more than watch it. Sadly it's one of the sports that America has no shot at. :chuckle:

:chuckle: Yeah.

I like playing more than watching also. I wish my basement was big enough and I would definitely have a table. I miss not being able to play.

The Berean

I'm a huge track and field fan, especially the distance races. This year the US has several major medal contenders which is amazing since Kenya and Ethiopia utterly dominate the distance races. Here are some runners to keep an eye on.

Galen Rupp is a major medal contender in the 10,000 meters. An American male has not medaled in this event since 1964. Rupp ran a 26:48.00 time last year. That is the fastest time ever by a non-African. Expect the Kenyans and Ethiopians to push the pace really hard and Galen will run with them.

Galen+Rupp+2012+Olympic+Track+Field+Team+Trials+wiJvvPx51uOl.jpg

Shalane Flanagan and Kara Goucher are medal contenders in the women's marathon. Flanagan stunned the track world in 2008 by winning the bronze medal in the women's 10,000 meters. She beat a slew of Kenyans and Ethiopians women. Goucher won the bronze medal at the 2007 World Championships at 10,000 meters as well.

Flanagan
Flanagan.jpg

Goucher
080606_goucher_second.jpg

Evan Jager runs the 3000 m steeplechase. A few days ago he set the American record and there is lots of buzz about him medaling in London. This event is dominated by the Kenyans. They have won the last SEVEN Olympic gold medals in this event and have swept the medals several times. But Jager is very fit right now and many think he can push the Kenyans hard and break their medal stranglehold. what is crazy is that Jager just started competing in the steeplechase a few months ago and has only run it five times!

jager-surges-to-leadjpg-9cccc983c38124b5.jpg

Alysia Montaño is a major medal contender in the women's 800 meters. She finished 4th at last years' World Championships.

alysia-montano-2012-track-field-us-olympic-1Da4r9.jpg

Jenny Simpson and Morgan Uceny are contenders in the women's 1500 meters. Simpson was World Champion in 2011 and Uceny was ranked #1.

jenny.jpg

Uceny_Morgan-World11.JPG

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Have you ever noticed at the Olympics that no matter what athlete they are discussing and no matter what country they are competing for, 95% of them are attending a college in the USA. :think:

The Berean

Have you ever noticed at the Olympics that no matter what athlete they are discussing and no matter what country they are competing for, 95% of them are attending a college in the USA. :think:

America still has the finest universities and colleges in the world. Other countries obviously have top notch, elite universities as well but no country has so many top notch universities and colleges as the US does.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
NZ is good at rowing. Anything that sends us backward, I guess they like...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I hear our athletes are likely to bring home the gold in the sextathalon, along with a number of things that are mostly treatable via ointment.

:idunno: USA! USA! STD! just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Is it too much to expect our representatives to behave as though their excellence was more than physical?

Apparently, often enough. :plain:

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame

Thats racist!! (I think?)

:) Actually watching Olympics Ping Pong sounds fun to me, never thought of that. All I associated with it is soccer, which comes about 5 steps below watching grass grow on my list of entertainment.

Quincy

I'm only interested in the basketball team, other than I oddly don't care this time. I remember last Olympics getting caught up in the Micheal Phelps drama but this year there is nothing doing for me.

The Berean

I'm only interested in the basketball team, other than I oddly don't care this time. I remember last Olympics getting caught up in the Micheal Phelps drama but this year there is nothing doing for me.

Watch the men's 10,000 meter race to see if Galen Rupp can end a 48 year American Olympic medal drought. If Galen wins gold it will be HUGE news.

lovemeorhateme

Been watching the opening ceremony since 9pm (it's now 11:25pm).. I do think that they have done a good job. It's very unique, really well put together. About half hour until the UK and the USA teams come into the stadium.

ragTagblues

It was today? Well I'll be damned . . . .

Seriously, I love the Olympics - the most amazing sporting event of them all.

Sadly I find it a little bitter sweet this time round on three accounts -

1) The huge amount of money spent, when so many services are being cut.

2) How much more difficult it is going to make my job.

3) Due to the wayward English summer the women volleyball teams are threatening to wear trousers . . . . I died a little in side with that.