toldailytopic: Stereotypes: Do you fit into one? Which stereotypes do you believe hav

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 30th, 2010 10:49 AM

toldailytopic: Stereotypes: Do you fit into one? Which stereotypes do you believe have some validity?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The thing with stereotypes is there usually is some truth to them.

For instance....

Women drivers.

:noid:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm careful with money (my Jewish side) and like to drink (my Irish side).

So basically I can spend all I want on beer, I just need to feel guilty about it the next day.:noid:

Every stereotype has some basis in fact, which makes them all the more aggravating when applied. People can't stand a side of themselves or their culture being mocked by an outsider, even if the criticism or mockery's spot on.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

So basically I can spend all I want on beer, I just need to feel guilty about it the next day.:noid:

Every stereotype has some basis in fact, which makes them all the more aggravating when applied. People can't stand a side of themselves or their culture being mocked by an outsider, even if the criticism or mockery's spot on.
I kinda enjoy people poking fun at my stereotypes. I'm half Italian so I talk with hands a lot, I also like to give big hugs and get excited about cooking food.

Non-Excluvistic

BANNED
Banned
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 30th, 2010 10:49 AM

toldailytopic: Stereotypes: Do you fit into one? Which stereotypes do you believe have some validity?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Man this is a hard one. I have never been the victim of stereotypes. :think:

:idea: Oh yea!

I'm a terrorist (a Taliban loving sleeper cell member to be exact).

I'm a wife beater.

My wife must wear her hijab or I'll take my fist and dip it in glue and then rub it in sand (because all Muslims love sand so it's only right) and and hit her like I was participating in the kumate.

I oppress women.

I hate Christians, and especially Jews.

I hate America, and represent my country I come from (as many on here see me labeled Muslim and assume I must be from the Middle East).

Of course there's truth to them. I am a Muslim and that's what all Muslims believe and do. :plain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I kinda enjoy people poking fun at my stereotypes. I'm half Italian so I talk with hands a lot, I also like to give big hugs and get excited about cooking food.

That sounds a lot like my wife's uncle...

...who of course has cousins and brothers in the North End who always seem to have a comfortable living despite, umm, never actually working.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Stereotypes: Do you fit into one?
Which stereotypes do you believe have some validity?

Yes, this one is a tuffy.

Do I fit one?

I must:
I'm a Norwegian that is happily married.
A Soft spoken Chaplain.
Love encouraging and exhorting others for the good.
Best comfort zone, the nursing home.
I do extremely well at officiating funeral/graveside services.
I'm an ardent supporter of TOL.
Favorite sport, dirt track racing, old stock car jalopies and midget race cars.
As for Christianity and being a Christian, is there any doubt?

So what is my stereotype?​

Which stereotypes do you believe have validity?
Actors?
Hypocrites?​

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Granite . . . That is the making for a good joke.

:rotfl:​

taikoo

The thing with stereotypes is there usually is some truth to them.

For instance....

Women drivers.

:noid:

Female Chinese driver here. The thing with stereotypes is that there usually is some truth to them. My boyfriend Will Not let me take the wheel. sigh. He is right.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I'm not completely sure what my heritage is, but I know I have some Scotch-Irish, German and Cherokee. I know I like to drink and I can usually hold my liquor. I also love to cook, but I've no idea where that comes from.:idunno:

Psalmist

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm also half Norweigian. I think the only Norweigian stereotypes have to do with skiing and being Vikings, so... that's not so bad. :dhelm:

Kind of reminds of the Capitol One Sky Lodge commercial...Know what I mean?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm white and I can't dance.

Or jump.

:wave2: Count me in on that as well.

I'm German-Irish so there's definitely drinking in my blood. I do enjoy having some beers but I'm not extreme about it so I'm not completely stereotypical. Maybe because my family has very conservative and never drinks. Though I might be considered a "binge" drinker because the definition for that sets the bar quite low. Must be based on lightweights or something. :eek: :noid:

I don't think I'm a very stereotypical person. :idunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.