toldailytopic: Should Christians always forgive those who've done them wrong?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 13th, 2012 10:51 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
We cannot allow ourselves to remain tied to those who have harmed us. Let them go.

Maybe not. But we are still called to forgive all of those who wrong us, and not only that, but to pray for them as well. In fact, I will make a stronger statement: if there's someone in our life who has wronged us very greviously, that should be one of the first people that we pray for every day.

Even if that person persists in his wrongdoing. Even if that person never asks forgiveness. We should pray for him/her that he might correct his ways and come to a knowledge of the truth.

Seriously consider this: who is your worst enemy? Who is the person who has hurt you the most? Why? What has s/he done?

Of course, you don't have to answer me. Just think about it for yourself.

Have you done so? Then consider this: no matter what s/he has done, God has made him/her in His image and likeness. And what you should desire above everything else is this: to be with that person in Heaven forever. To praise God forever, side by side with that person.

bybee

Maybe not. But we are still called to forgive all of those who wrong us, and not only that, but to pray for them as well. In fact, I will make a stronger statement: if there's someone in our life who has wronged us very greviously, that should be one of the first people that we pray for every day.

Even if that person persists in his wrongdoing. Even if that person never asks forgiveness. We should pray for him/her that he might correct his ways and come to a knowledge of the truth.

Seriously consider this: who is your worst enemy? Who is the person who has hurt you the most? Why? What has s/he done?

Of course, you don't have to answer me. Just think about it for yourself.

Have you done so? Then consider this: no matter what s/he has done, God has made him/her in His image and likeness. And what you should desire above everything else is this: to be with that person in Heaven forever. To praise God forever, side by side with that person.

I have experienced that of which you speak Trad.
I forced myself to forgive someone who had, I thought, egregiously wronged me. I almost gagged begging God to help me to forgive this person, to see the situation in a different light.
Lo and behold, the anger and resentment I had allowed to boil within me, was instantly dissipated. I was enabled to see the situation from
the other persons view and understand that it was not at all what I had imagined.
I keep this gift always fresh in my mind.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I have experienced that of which you speak Trad.
I forced myself to forgive someone who had, I thought, egregiously wronged me. I almost gagged begging God to help me to forgive this person, to see the situation in a different light.
Lo and behold, the anger and resentment I had allowed to boil within me, was instantly dissipated. I was enabled to see the situation from
the other persons view and understand that it was not at all what I had imagined.
I keep this gift always fresh in my mind.

A helpful thought (not just for you, but for all who may be reading): When most tempted not to forgive someone, consider the price that was paid for your own sins. Consider especially the lance that pierced the Sacred Heart of Our Savior, and the blood and water that gushed out from His side.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

No. Forgiveness isn't a requirement until they repent of what they have done. Forgiving an unrepentant person doesn't do them any favors. It actually gives them free license to continue in their abusive behavior and makes you into a push over. Luke 17:3 lays out some pretty clear guidelines.

Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

Wimpy forgive all Christianity actually isn't biblical. It is cowardly. It is better to rebuke someone who is unrepentant. A timely rebuke may bring the errant person to repentance.

eameece

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 13th, 2012 10:51 AM

I guess so; Jesus made that quite clear. Seventy-times seven times!

PureX

All Christians should absolutely forgive ME of any and all slights, real or imagined. Or they'll burn in hell, forever.

bybee, that means you, too! ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Of course, you don't have to answer me.

No, but you have to answer to us. I am here to tell you, you are headed for hell.

As for Knights compelling question;

2 Timothy 4:14

14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm. May the Lord repay him according to his works.

bybee

No, but you have to answer to us. I am here to tell you, you are headed for hell.

As for Knights compelling question;

2 Timothy 4:14

14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much harm. May the Lord repay him according to his works.

I love that Scripture!
When someone cuts me off in traffic I say "May the Lord repay him according to his works"!
And then I feel better and go about my business with a clear conscience.

This Charming Manc

I very well may be, and I hope that you are remembering me in your daily prayers.

Dont bother yourself trad have at look at the maddists and see what you get;

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like.

I see a lot of that;

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

I see none to little of that.

Its a poxy fleshly theologly that justifies sin, and bears no fruit of character. (Sorry chickenman you seem to the be exception)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I very well may be, and I hope that you are remembering me in your daily prayers.

There is one mediator between you and God. I am just a messenger from God to you. Not the other way around.

This Charming Manc

yeah nick .. praying for peoples evil too ........

in a few simple words.

Complete nastiness and meaness isn't Godly.

Love and forgiveness are not wimpy but Godly.

You need see Jesus as Lord not some convenient sacrifice who justifies you, so that you can continue your campaign of hate, evil and bitterness.

There is one mediator between you and God. I am just a messenger from God to you. Not the other way around.

bybee

All Christians should absolutely forgive ME of any and all slights, real or imagined. Or they'll burn in hell, forever.

bybee, that means you, too! ;)

I forgive you because you are forgivable!
And
I expect you to forgive me too!

lovemeorhateme

I think this should be a more challenging question.

If someone murdered your spouse or child and showed no remorse whatsoever, would you forgive them?

If that same person did show remorse and repented, would you then forgive them even though they killed someone close to you?