toldailytopic: Should business owners have the right to not serve a gay customer?

oatmeal

ACTIVISTS CALL FOR BOYCOTT ON CAKE SHOP AFTER OWNER REFUSES TO BAKE GAY WEDDING CAKE

Move over Chick-fil-A. There’s a new business getting heat for its stance on gay marriage. Masterpiece Cake Shop in Lakewood, Colorado, is facing critics who are calling for a boycott after it refused to make a cake for a same-sex couple.

Dave Mullin and Charlie Craig, who went to the shop earlier this month to ask about having a cake made for their wedding, say they dated for two years before getting engaged. After only seconds of entering Masterpiece, they claim that owner Jack Phillips turned them away.

- Source

The cake shop has that right.

It does not have to sell to anyone. They can close their doors whenever they want to and reopen them.

Should atheist book store owners be forced to sell Christian books?

Should atheists in public schools be forced to pray?

oatmeal

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The cake shop has that right.

It does not have to sell to anyone.
You're wrong as a matter of law.

They can close their doors whenever they want to and reopen them.
Of course they can.

Should atheist book store owners be forced to sell Christian books?
No. They're free to choose their stock. That goes to a legitimate business decision/practice. The same would hold true for a book store owned by a Christian. In fact, there are large numbers of Christian book stores that exclude atheist authors and materials.

Should atheists in public schools be forced to pray?
Of course not. Completely unrelated issue though.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Sure they do and I set that out clearly enough, your devastating "Nuh-uh" notwithstanding. :rolleyes:
I know why you think they contradict; you're problem is that you're not smart enough to figure out why they don't.

Like being called shorty by a midget. Go figure.
Why am I not surprised you would use an offensive epithet?

I agree that the failure here is rooted in education, after a fashion. :e4e:
I didn't say anything about education. I was talking about your chosen profession.

Cracked

toldailytopic: Should business owners have the right to not serve a Christian customer?

NO! I mean, yes! Well... dang...

(didn't read the whole thread, someone else probably pointed this out already... late again...)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I know why you think they contradict;
Rather why they conflict, your charming attempt to smudge that line a bit notwithstanding. You can't say that you believe you shouldn't be discriminated against then state you believe someone should be allowed to discriminate against you without rendering your first statement in conflict with your second. It's like suggesting that people shouldn't steal but some should be allowed to. Now you may feel it's more important that people be allowed to discriminate than protecting people against discrimination (which is a bit idiotic in its own right) but the conflict remains.

you're problem is that you're not smart enough to figure out why they don't.
That's nearly endearing. :D

Why am I not surprised you would use an offensive epithet?
Because you don't understand that word either?

I didn't say anything about education. I was talking about your chosen profession.
Then you'll apparently be startled to know that my profession is an extension of an academic/educational path. Your failure is an illustration of an undisciplined mind, though you aren't by any means stupid.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Rather why they conflict, your charming attempt to smudge that line a bit notwithstanding. You can't say that you believe you shouldn't be discriminated against then state you believe someone should be allowed to discriminate against you without rendering your first statement in conflict with your second. It's like suggesting that people shouldn't steal but some should be allowed to. Now you may feel it's more important that people be allowed to discriminate than protecting people against discrimination (which is a bit idiotic in its own right) but the conflict remains.
I never said I shouldn't be discriminated against.:nono:

That isn't what you asked.

That's nearly endearing. :D
And clearly true.

Because you don't understand that word either?
I know the original definition of the word "midget," but I also know that people with dwarfism are offended by the word, because it was used as a derogatory term toward them for something over which they had no control.

And, yes, I know it initially was not solely intended for those with dwarfism, but rather people under a certain height; my aunt happens to fall into that category.

Then you'll apparently be startled to know that my profession is an extension of an academic/educational path. Your failure is an illustration of an undisciplined mind, though you aren't by any means stupid.
An academic/educational path that you chose. You didn't become an attorney because of your education, you chose to be an attorney and went to school for it.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I never said I shouldn't be discriminated against.:nono:
Tired of trying to rope smoke. I set out both my question and your answers along with an illustration why your "I can't be wrong because it's my opinion" initial attempt failed and your subsequent attempts to find a way to not be what you so apparently were, wrong.

Oh why not...I asked:

Should you have to hide your religious beliefs, not carry your Bible if you want to be served at a particular restaurant?

You answered, "No." Set within the context of the question that would be, "I should not have to hide my religious beliefs, not have to leave my Bible behind to be served." If you weren't served because of your religious beliefs it would be an act of discrimination. Happy to help. :thumb:

Of course that wasn't even your initial attempt. Rather there was the feeble opinion bit I noted prior.

I know the original definition of the word "midget," but I also know that people with dwarfism are offended by the word, because it was used as a derogatory term toward them for something over which they had no control.
Interesting, but as per your usual here an attempt to move the margin and avoid the point. The word as coined simply refers to a proportionate dwarf. The insult lay elsewhere and was otherwise aimed.

And, yes, I know it initially was not solely intended for those with dwarfism, but rather people under a certain height; my aunt happens to fall into that category.
And "We'll have a gay old time," in the Flintstones theme doesn't mean Barney and Fred are reconsidering their relationship just because a group of people decided to add a secondary definition to the word.

An academic/educational path that you chose.
Right. That's how it works.

You didn't become an attorney because of your education,
Sure I did. That's also how it works.

you chose to be an attorney and went to school for it.
Also correct. Confused in part, but you got there.

And, of course, not the point.

Again with the odd sidebar. Try getting through the LSAT and into a good school, then you can come at me with this juvenile "stupid" nonsense. The rest, as it relates to the actual point, I've set out.

:e4e:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Tired of trying to rope smoke. I set out both my question and your answers along with an illustration why your "I can't be wrong because it's my opinion" initial attempt failed and your subsequent attempts to alter the word and/or point also fail.
You asked me if I should have to hide my religion, you never asked me if I should not be discriminated against. I'd suggest you learn to word your questions to say what you mean, but we know better, don't we. There's a reason you chose to be a lawyer.

Interesting, but as per your usual here an attempt to move the margin and avoid the point. The word as coined simply refers to a proportionate dwarf. The insult lay elsewhere and was otherwise aimed.
Language evolves, and as such when words have new and commonly understood meanings within mainstream language wherein the majority understands them to mean one thing then you cannot rely on the original meaning in a public conversation.

And "We'll have a gay old time," in the Flintstones theme doesn't mean Barney and Fred are reconsidering their relationship just because a group of people decided to add a secondary definition to the word.
Of course not, because when that show was on the word didn't mean the same thing it is commonly understood to mean now.

Right. That's how it works.
Miss the point, much?

Sure I did. That's also how it works.
Moron.

Also correct. Confused in part, but you got there.

And, of course, not the point.

Again with the odd sidebar. Try getting through the LSAT and into a good school, then you can come at me with this juvenile "stupid" nonsense. The rest, as it relates to the actual point, I've set out.

:e4e:
:dunce::duh:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You asked me if I should have to hide my religion, you never asked me if I should not be discriminated against. I'd suggest you learn to word your questions to say what you mean, but we know better, don't we. There's a reason you chose to be a lawyer.
I asked the question I meant and you fumbled it. Now you're exhibiting the typically childish name calling and denial you're noted for. No real surprise.

Language evolves,
Sure. And it frequently takes generations for a primary definition to be usurped by slang. I don't rely on it. I'd warrant that most people think of midget as simply a word describing a dwarf. And the primary definition for midget isn't the definition you're leaning on to try to derail my shot at your laughable critique.

Of course not, because when that show was on the word didn't mean the same thing it is commonly understood to mean now.
You mean that sub definition hadn't come into popular play. And it still isn't the primary definition and still requires context to be understood as the applicable meaning.

And you're still reaching, grasping and coming up empty.

Miss the point, much?
And deprive you of the one thing you actually do well? Nah. :nono:

Petulant child.

:dunce::duh:
Still not getting it, are you... :plain:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I asked the question I meant and you fumbled it. Now you're exhibiting the typically childish name calling and denial you're noted for. No real surprise.
You asked me if I should have to hide my religion. You never asked if I should not be discriminated against.

Sure. And it frequently takes generations for a primary definition to be usurped by slang. I don't rely on it. I'd warrant that most people think of midget as simply a word describing a dwarf. And the primary definition for midget isn't the definition you're leaning on to try to derail my shot at your laughable critique.
Then go to a website dedicated to those with dwarfism and ask them what they think.

You mean that sub definition hadn't come into popular play. And it still isn't the primary definition and still requires context to be understood as the applicable meaning.
If I say that something is gay in a public setting no one is going to think I mean "happy."

And you're still reaching, grasping and coming up empty.
:yawn:

And deprive you of the one thing you actually do well? Nah. :nono:
:bang:

Petulant child.
:cry:

:rolleyes:

Still not getting it, are you... :plain:
That you're not nearly as smart as you think? Loud and clear.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I believe that privately owned businesses should have the legal right to refuse service to anyone for any reason their little old heart desires.

However, having said that, I would also not expect the business owner to bellyache over any verbal backlash or loss of business that results from their desire to operate their business as they see fit.

I agree with you, as a matter of principle.

The law, takes the position, one may intentionally discriminate, as such, deprive the rights of others from receiving a benefit based on what reason they may hold, to have free access to the use of any service, open to the public.

I do think many persons have been oppressed, based solely, on who they are, as such, the law sees fit to correct this injustice.

Where this matter becomes moot, is being gay who one is? The same as being a Jew, or Latino?

Surly a place of business has the right, more so, the obligation, not to hire an illegal?

If this shall be a Latino, it is not his ethnicity that is the reason to not hire him, bit his illegal status.

What about a gay person? If someone looks gay, and a business refuses him, then that is a miscarriage of justice, yet the 'what' here is passive; I think an active stance, which opposes ones freedom to hold to a value, is as much a case of right as one who entertains another value.

The question comes down to this question: Did the owner of the bakery refuse service because he ascertained the potential customer was gay, or did the customer insist the baker sell enter into business with one who holds openly, an attitude the seller does not condone? Do we have to say that all those who provide a public service must serve all?

When two opposing values are in conflict, does the law, by necessity, have to support anyone who may claim being a victim of oppression? Where do we draw the line, or is the line, lost?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
You asked me if I should have to hide my religion. You never asked if I should not be discriminated against.
No more accurate than you shifting "contradiction". Rather, you left off the necessary why, in order to be served. That's where the discrimination comes into play, your efforts to alter it notwithstanding.

Then go to a website dedicated to those with dwarfism and ask them what they think.
No need. I used the given, primary definition. I used a definition that, absent a particular context shouldn't be misconstrued.

If I say that something is gay in a public setting no one is going to think I mean "happy."
A bit different, since the popular usage of the term has shifted, while the formal primary hasn't, though you already indicated that context controls that too when you understood singing the Flintstones theme song doesn't confuse you (or anyone).

That you're not nearly as smart as you think?
No one is as smart as you make me feel. :D