toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Well, there's nothing fundamentally different about the state's role in marriage than in other contracts. Obviously, it has it's own chapters of law, as do any other specific types of contracts.
And their "own" chapters of law make it unique. :D

But it's what make the marriage contract important.
How is something that the government does for all contracts what makes the marriage contract unique?

The conferring of a benefit upon the married couple by Congress was not intended in any case that I'm aware of to restrict access to marriage based upon the intent of the benefit. The only law I know of that really attempts to restrict access to marriage benefits is the deplorable Defense of Marriage Act, and that was passed after the fact specifically to deny benefits to homosexuals in an act of naked bigotry.
There may have been miscommunication becuase I never meant to say that the benefits the government provides are meant to restrict marriage to a specific group of people.

It's a legal union as well as a personal relation. There are any number of implications.
What specifics are in the legal union?

We don't actually seem to be disagreeing much here, so I don't have much to add. Not sure if I've addressed your questions, but feel free to add more.
Well that's boring. :plain:

Arthur Brain

I believe the purpose of marriage is to protect the child

don't you?

I don't and neither it seems does anyone else on this thread. If I get married it'll be because I want to make a lifelong commitment to the woman I love, regardless of whether we have children or not. Does that penetrate your brain at all?

:plain:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I don't and neither it seems does anyone else on this thread. If I get married it'll be because I want to make a lifelong commitment to the woman I love, regardless of whether we have children or not. Does that penetrate your brain at all?

would you go ahead and have children without getting married?

Samstarrett

Nothing penetrates Chrys's brain...and that's coming from a reactionary pro-life "homophobic" "bigot" who actually agrees with him on both abortion and gay marriage(not his methods or arguments, just his goals).

Arthur Brain

would you go ahead and have children without getting married?

It's not how I'd plan it really but then again I wouldn't get married in order to have children either. That's not the reason why I'd enter into wedlock Chrys as I've just outlined. Your assertion is without merit until you actually start providing some backup...

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
It's not how I'd plan it really but then again I wouldn't get married in order to have children either. That's not the reason why I'd enter into wedlock Chrys as I've just outlined. Your assertion is without merit until you actually start providing some backup...

so would you go ahead and have children without getting married?

Arthur Brain

so would you go ahead and have children without getting married?

I've just answered you! I've no intention of having kids currently either in or out of wedlock. Clear? :hammer: How about you start answering others properly for a change? If two people get married with no intention of having children then how is the purpose of marriage to 'protect the child'?! :freak:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I've just answered you! I've no intention of having kids currently either in or out of wedlock. Clear? :hammer: How about you start answering others properly for a change? If two people get married with no intention of having children then how is the purpose of marriage to 'protect the child'?! :freak:

I didn't ask you if you intended to have children

just wanted to know if you would go ahead and have children without getting married

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
who stays home during the day to take care of your child?

So that's a no then. You don't have an argument, so you're just trolling a thread with real value. Good to know. :thumb:

He's not interested in engaging, AB. He can't. He isn't wearing any clothes.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
So that's a no then. You don't have an argument, so you're just trolling a thread with real value. Good to know. :thumb:

He's not interested in engaging, AB. He can't. He isn't wearing any clothes.

does the mother stay home and take care of your child?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You're acting like a troll.

Or, it's none of your business and nonresponsive to the OP discussion. Engage of find another thread to haunt with your two note symphony.

why won't you answer the question?

are you worried about where it would lead?

someone has to take care of your child
and
is that someone getting health benefits?
is that someone contributing to the social security fund?

Status
Not open for further replies.