toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bybee

why do you think it is important to be married
if
you don't think it protects the child?

As is so often the case, I am now aggravated with your attempts at Jesuitical debate.
Did I say that I do not think marriage protects the child? NO I DID NOT!

bybee

so the law should allow any couple to marry?

I am free to make my beliefs known to the politician of my choice. But law is written after much deliberation by our legally elected officials and must pass the scrutiny of the courts as to their constitutionality. So long as I am not forced to commit acts which go against my morality I shall be a law-abiding citizen.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As is so often the case, I am now aggravated with your attempts at Jesuitical debate.
Did I say that I do not think marriage protects the child? NO I DID NOT!

I am not sure why anyone does believe marriage protects the child. Deadbeat moms and dads divorce all the time and either successfully evade all attempts to collect support for their child/children or contribute a very minimal amount.

Again though, not all couples who wish to marry plan on having children. It's about a commitment between the couple.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I am free to make my beliefs known to the politician of my choice. But law is written after much deliberation by our legally elected officials and must pass the scrutiny of the courts as to their constitutionality. So long as I am not forced to commit acts which go against my morality I shall be a law-abiding citizen.

I hope they understand your beliefs better than I do

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Okay, Mr Grand Poobah of the Interlocutors of America, how would we know your beliefs? All you do is ask questions!:think:

since you did not take the time to read this thread
I will present them again
and
as often as required

the purpose of marriage is to protect the child
and
I think we should keep it that way

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ok. Homosexuals are at a higher risk of getting STDs (in particular, HIV).
So you think that an STD threshold (and who establishes the reasonable level from the rest, I wonder? :rolleyes:) should be the divider of right?

:plain: :think: Should you lose your ability to contract or drive because people in your age range disproportionately default and speed, endangering the state economically and its citizens physically? Of course not.

If I lose a lot of blood, I want as as large a pool of blood donors as possible. Therefore, homosexual acts must be made illegal.
Not a rational advance, since the state can't compel anyone to give blood and you haven't supported the notion that your artificial context (any idea about age and education and income relative to STD transmission?) or your self interest is a compelling state interest. And you might want to look into what constitutes that at law, or, beans. :D

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
So you think that an STD threshold (and who establishes the reasonable level from the rest, I wonder? :rolleyes:) should be the divider of right?

:plain: :think: Should you lose your ability to contract or drive because people in your age range disproportionately default and speed, endangering the state economically and its citizens physically? Of course not.

Not a rational advance, since the state can't compel anyone to give blood and you haven't supported the notion that your artificial context (any idea about age and education and income relative to STD transmission?) or your self interest is a compelling state interest. And you might want to look into what constitutes that at law, or, beans. :D

Therefore you have no grounds to say that marijuana should be illegal.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yeah, I don't understand TH's hang up when it comes to weed. Not at all.

And hey: Poe's Law is awfully tricky...

No hang up. I've set out a host of objections relating to its negative impact on the social compact and distinguishing it from alcohol in both purpose and beneficial usage.

:e4e:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...the purpose of marriage is to protect the child and I think we should keep it that way
A case you haven't made beyond the declaration, while side stepping my objections and inquiry. I see you're attempting to use bybee as a screen and point of recycling.

:nono:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Therefore you have no grounds to say that marijuana should be illegal.
Nonsense. See the thread in question. I've set out a number and none of them rest on my personal, moral objection. There's also a distinction between a question of equality/equity before the law and a matter of privilege.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
there are two rather obvious ways in which marriage protects the child

it encourages the mother and father to stay together for the sake of the child
and
it helps to protect the mother who chooses to stay home with the child

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
there are two rather obvious ways in which marriage protects the child
And that's great. It should. It doesn't follow that the point and purpose of marriage is to do that very thing. I can put a provision in my incorporation protecting minority shareholders. It doesn't follow that the point of incorporation is to protect minority shareholders.

it encourages the mother and father to stay together for the sake of the child
Do you know what percentage of marriages end in divorce?

and it helps to protect the mother who chooses to stay home with the child
What did you have in mind?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
And that's great. It should. It doesn't follow that the point and purpose of marriage is to do that very thing. I can put a provision in my incorporation protecting minority shareholders. It doesn't follow that the point of incorporation is to protect minority shareholders.

Do you know what percentage of marriages end in divorce?

What did you have in mind?

the same people who are trying to convince us that abortion and divorce are okay
are
also trying to convince us the purpose of marriage is not to protect the child

it is all about not letting the child interfere with your rights

bybee

the same people who are trying to convince us that abortion and divorce are okay
are

In the beginning God created woman to be an Helpmeet to man. Nothing was mentioned of children.

Arthur Brain

are

Chrys, the purpose of marriage is not to protect a child. People get married because they make a commitment to each other, and your sensibilities notwithstanding not every couple intends to have children anyway. You may think that they should but that's completely irrelevant frankly. You're either being deliberately obtuse by now or you're just not much good at seeing the obvious arguments levelled against you. Which is it?

:plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.