toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
it is reasonable to assume that the purpose of marriage is to protect the child

it is not reasonable to assume that two people living together require anymore protection than what they already have

it is not reasonable to come up with a system that will monitor whether or not a married couple is going to have any children

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Not all couples wish to have children. Not all couples are capable of having children. So, would you deny these couples the right to marry?

it is not reasonable to assume that two people living together require anymore protection than what they already have

So, you believe a married couple who does not have children require more protection. Why?

it is not reasonable to come up with a system that will monitor whether or not a married couple is going to have any children

Why not? IF you feel the need to deny consenting adults the right to marry, you need to come up with a better reason than just saying "they can't bear children by natural means".

Your arguments are not reasonable.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
No, it isn't. You just say reasonable to mask, if thinly, what has been properly named your religious belief on the subject. It is reasonable to expect that people who have children protect them and nurture them. But that's not a necessary element of marriage for great numbers of people.

rexlunae

:sigh: I guess we've gotten to the reiteration stage.

No, it's not. It's the lens through which you must view the situation in order to continue to advocate discrimination, to the detriment of marriage as an institution overall.

Then why do we offer just that sort of protection to some couples?

And yet, you propose a system that merely assumes a future reality that is less and less given the more technology advances.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
No, it isn't. You just say reasonable to mask, if thinly, what has been properly named your religious belief on the subject. It is reasonable to expect that people who have children protect them and nurture them. But that's not a necessary element of marriage for great numbers of people.

you and Rusha know why I am making these arguments
so
there no need for me to offer anymore explanations

zippy2006

Do you agree that this reason is inherently interested in heterosexual couples more than homosexual?
No. I believe, moreover, that denying homosexuals equitable treatment serves to undermine families.

Then instead of an assertion you should address these two facts that seem quite obviously true:

1. Homosexual couples cannot procreate
2. Homosexuals cannot provide the optimum healthy environment of heterosexual couples

Your statement "they are forced to live forever tenuous lives" is not at all clearly rational or convincing or even intelligible. You can support it or drop it.
Heterosexual unions currently may advance to a stage where there are all sorts of legal protections to support them, for the sake of the union itself. Homosexual unions are not afforded these protections in most states.

This is still too vague for me too comment on. I'm not sure what you are referring to by "protections."

Believe it or not, procreative ability is linked to the existence of families in the first place.
"Linked to", perhaps, but not "necessary for", regardless of sexual orientation.

Yes, necessary for. Have daddy talk to you about the birds and the bees. :D

Do you disagree that children with one father and one mother are in the best position? If so, please stop being daft.
If children with one father and one mother are in the best position, it hasn't been demonstrated. I'm not convinced. Nice ad hom, BTW.

An ad hominem argument is explained here.

I'd say denying that a child with a mother and a father has the best possible circumstances for healthy growth is daftness in itself. Here is one overview supporting the commonsensical position.

To stop him from receiving positive benefits from that state on the same order as others who are performing a positive service to society? Of course.
I don't see where he's performing any greater or lesser service to society, and I think you'll have a very hard time delineating it.

You're being daft again. He can't procreate. He can't raise kids in an optimum setting.

There's not a lick of this that's more than speculation.

This is really quite frightening. It reminds me of Kreeft's quote on abortion:

“The next eruption of the demonic will probably appear much more civilized, like the Nazi’s response to those who suspected the Holocaust: “What! Do you think we are barbarians?” Or like the line from A Man for All Seasons: “Come now, Thomas, this is England, not Spain!” This is America. We don’t do holocausts here. (Tell that to thirty million innocent babies already killed by our “healer’s” scalpels, suction tubes, scalding salts, or skull-crushing pliers in their mothers’ wombs).”

You are openly denying the need for a mother and a father in a child's upbringing? :doh:

Hard to imagine what it would mean to "elevate single parenthood to the level of marriage". Perhaps you could suggest something that makes some degree of sense as a basis of comparison?

Elevating single parenthood to the level of marriage would be no different than your proposition to elevate homosexual unions to that level. We take something that is objectively inferior with respect to child development and pretend it isn't.

Just because there is no other recourse in a matter does not mean the impoverished situation must be recognized as satisfactory.
And the perfect is the enemy of the good?

So you admit the well-known sociological fact that children with married parents are in a better position to lead a healthy life?

What is 'good' here? We sacrifice the health of children in return for what exactly? And equating the two unequal situations is lunacy.

I've never said marriage does not entail a contract, I've said (or meant) that is it not merely a contract, that it cannot be reduced to such.
As a matter of law, it is precisely that. The social implications are certainly wider, but not a part of the argument that I'm making.

Then we're talking about two different things. You are talking about a contract, I am talking about Marriage colloquially understood.

If marriage were merely a contract then every contract would be marriage.
That's called reversing the implication. Consider:

1. All squares are rectangles.
2. Therefore, all rectangles are squares.

No, it isn't. The word "merely" implies "if and only if," equality.

No, I don't disagree. But in a strictly legal sense, which is the sense in which equality before the law matters, it is a contract, and for the government to restrict who may enter the contract with whom on the basis of gender is unwarranted.

That is not the topic though. We are talking about colloquial marriage that includes benefits and the like, which should have been obvious from the bulk of this thread. You can change the label if you like, but you know well enough what we've been talking about. If you claim to have been speaking about a mere contract, even in spite of my oft-repeated confirmations about the benefits of marriage and the super-contractualness of the thing, then I suppose we're done talking and have been at merely semantical odds.

:e4e:

rexlunae

I've never said marriage does not entail a contract, I've said (or meant) that is it not merely a contract, that it cannot be reduced to such. If marriage were merely a contract then every contract would be marriage. So what sets marriage apart from a mere contract? Benefits, societal recognition, etc. (the very things I've said) Do you disagree that marriage is more than a contract between two people?
That's called reversing the implication. Consider:

1. All squares are rectangles.
2. Therefore, all rectangles are squares.
No, it isn't. The word "merely" implies "if and only if," equality.

:rotfl: I really hope you're joking.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
When you say "marriage" here, are you referring to the state-sponsored institution of marriage? Or are you referring to marriage as the union between two people?

rexlunae

Then instead of an assertion you should address these two facts that seem quite obviously true:

It's a strange thing to object to argument by assertion, without an unbacked assertion on my part in sight, and then to merely offer two assertions of your own (or that you borrowed) which are contradicted by any number of rather obvious examples.

1. Homosexual couples cannot procreate

They can, merely not together.

2. Homosexuals cannot provide the optimum healthy environment of heterosexual couples

That's merely an assertion, and you've offered nothing to support it but Catholic propaganda.

This is still too vague for me too comment on. I'm not sure what you are referring to by "protections."

I refer you to the document I posted earlier referencing the North Dakota Century Code as an example. Each state (I know of no exceptions) has a section or sections of its laws that deal merely with marriage. These are the protections at stake here.

Yes, necessary for. Have daddy talk to you about the birds and the bees. :D

:sigh: You merely don't read what you don't like, do you?

An ad hominem argument is explained here.

Yes, your "daft" comment was merely such an "argument".

I'd say denying that a child with a mother and a father has the best possible circumstances for healthy growth is daftness in itself. Here is one overview supporting the commonsensical position.

Narth? Seriously? You want me to respond to comments from a group that exists merely to prevent homosexuals from being treated fairly?

You're being daft again. He can't procreate. He can't raise kids in an optimum setting.

I don't think I've ever met a kid raised in an optimum setting. Sometimes there are money troubles, sometimes daddy beats mommy, sometimes there's infidelity in the parents, sometimes, there's merely divorce. etc. But in any of the horrible conditions that children are sometimes raised in, we never deprive the parents of the basic tools to try to make the best situation they can from it. Unless, of course, the parents are merely homosexuals.

This is really quite frightening. It reminds me of Kreeft's quote on abortion:

“The next eruption of the demonic will probably appear much more civilized, like the Nazi’s response to those who suspected the Holocaust: “What! Do you think we are barbarians?” Or like the line from A Man for All Seasons: “Come now, Thomas, this is England, not Spain!” This is America. We don’t do holocausts here. (Tell that to thirty million innocent babies already killed by our “healer’s” scalpels, suction tubes, scalding salts, or skull-crushing pliers in their mothers’ wombs).”

Merely changing the subject? I can see why. :dead:

You are openly denying the need for a mother and a father in a child's upbringing? :doh:

I'm merely denying that there's any reason to believe that a child needs both, and furthermore denying that the prohibition on gay marriage would help to ensure in any meaningful way that children get a mother and a father.

Elevating single parenthood to the level of marriage would be no different than your proposition to elevate homosexual unions to that level. We take something that is objectively inferior with respect to child development and pretend it isn't.

Unless you happen to be Sue Sylvester, you can't marry yourself, which makes the suggestion bizarre to even try to contemplate. And all you seem to be trying to do is merely to tie one social ill to another. Single parenthood is an entirely separate issue from from gay marriage, and whereas I would agree that it is usually not ideal, it is also sometimes the best option available in a situation. And unlike gay marriage, it isn't illegal.

So you admit the well-known sociological fact that children with married parents are in a better position to lead a healthy life?

No. I merely accept the hypothetical temporarily for the sake of offering further critique of your position.

What is 'good' here? We sacrifice the health of children in return for what exactly?

The good: Merely allowing a child to be raised by a happy, loving, committed homosexual couple rather than singly by a gay parent in a string of loose uncommitted relationships, or in a miserable sham marriage to a person of the opposite gender who they cannot love. They may miss out on some element that a child of two "normal" heterosexuals might, but they stand a better chance there than in the situations that are otherwise available.

And equating the two unequal situations is lunacy.

...says the guy who just finished comparing gay marriage to single parenthood. Perhaps you should merely stop while you're still ahead.

Then we're talking about two different things. You are talking about a contract, I am talking about Marriage colloquially understood.

:squint: Funny, then why have you been asking me all along about what interest the state has in the union? I've given an answer, as have others here. To the state, marriage is merely a civil contract, regulated by law.

That is not the topic though. We are talking about colloquial marriage that includes benefits and the like, which should have been obvious from the bulk of this thread. You can change the label if you like, but you know well enough what we've been talking about.

Nonsense. Do I really need to quote for you the myriad times in this thread you've challenged me to specify the interest the state has in the union. Now it seems you want to merely change the subject, having lost so comprehensively.

If you claim to have been speaking about a mere contract, even in spite of my oft-repeated confirmations about the benefits of marriage and the super-contractualness of the thing, then I suppose we're done talking and have been at merely semantical odds.

Have you been reading? Do you remember asking me what interest the state has in a union of two people?

And yes, in case you were wondering. I am intentionally trying to provide you a few examples of the usage of the word "merely", merely hoping that you would get the hang of how to use it correctly.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
For much the same reason it gives incorporated businesses breaks. It's good for the compact. Stable relationships breed happier, productive people. I use the term breed advisedly. :plain:

What do you think would happen to the stability of relationships if the government stopped providing benefits to married couples? Do you think people get married/stay married for the benefits?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The good: Merely allowing a child to be raised by a happy, loving, committed homosexual couple rather than singly by a gay parent in a string of loose uncommitted relationships, or in a miserable sham marriage to a person of the opposite gender who they cannot love. They may miss out on some element that a child of two "normal" heterosexuals might, but they stand a better chance there than in the situations that are otherwise available.
A gay couple doesn't need state recognition to be in a happy, loving, committed relationship.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
When you say "marriage" here, are you referring to the state-sponsored institution of marriage? Or are you referring to marriage as the union between two people?

I am speaking as an enlightened individual who understands that the most important reason two people should stay together is for the sake of the child
now
my question for you is

why should a couple stay together
if
there is no child?

autumn_trees37

I used to have conflicting beliefs on this topic until I realized that in the biblical days it didn't matter about a person having the "choice". A king's righteousness depended on whether or not he destroyed the high places and alters to Baal. He was commended for taking their "choice" away.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
What do you think would happen to the stability of relationships if the government stopped providing benefits to married couples? Do you think people get married/stay married for the benefits?

Of course not. But given many of the benefits are inherent in the relationship (spousal privilege and right of inheritance, to name a couple :D) why wouldn't society want to continue them? Their absence would make the union less stable and require additional contract to remedy. A great deal for attorneys but not so much for people trying to get by on little.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am speaking as an enlightened individual
In what century? :think:

who understands
Believes.

that the most important reason two people should stay together is for the sake of the child
What sort of loveless union must you have observed or created to fall victim to this posit?

why should a couple stay together
if
there is no child?

For the same reason they married without one, presumably, where they married without one. :D

zippy2006

:rotfl: I really hope you're joking.

....not at all :liberals: I intended it that way and the word itself has that meaning. :yawn:

Definition of MERE

: having no admixture : pure
obsolete : being nothing less than : absolute
: being nothing more than

rexlunae

I think that if marriage were as simple to dissolve as a "relationship", people would do it more often. Marriage is a commitment made that can't be undone trivially, and that's an important feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.