toldailytopic: Same-sex marriage: for it, or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
with Islam you get killed just for being a homosexual and the Catholic Church just thinks homosexuality is a sin
but we still ordain homosexuals can you see the difference? most can
Most people can also tell the difference between a response and a side step, I'd reckon. Now try to address the actual point in principle. Is your objection to Sharia law really only a matter of its severity?

Of course it isn't.

rexlunae

But you've again failed to address the topic. The love between two people is not what the state is concerned with.

Well, no, not directly, but that is the prevalent reason that people get married. As far as the state is concerned, all that is required is that the couple intend to be married. With the exception of a small handful of disqualifiers, the most restrictive of which is gender, that's all it takes.

You defined marriage as something that they already have :idunno:

They have the union, but not the legal recognition of it. And lacking the legal recognition, they are forced to live forever tenuous lives.

It makes perfect sense in the exact context we were just in. You're smart enough to figure it out.

And now you can't be bothered to make your case. You're done.

See what the Catholic Church did that you haven't and apparently are unwilling to do? They gave an argument. :idea:

I have been making an argument over the past several pages of this thread. The thing is, the Catholic Church isn't here to plead its case, and I'm not interested in taking it on in abstentia. Dropping the link I take to be your declaration of intent to abdicate the argument without being seen to have done so, in which case I will merely note the abdication on your part and move on.

...Which is irrelevant to the topic of civil recognition.

It is, in fact, the only arguable reason I know of that the state takes an interest in couples raising children, which you seem to think is the cause for which the state subsidizes marriages.

...situations which also are not recognized as marriage is, for that very reason.

Could you restate that in English please?

Let them contract, I'm not arguing against that.

If we did allow them to contract, it would involve no less than permitting them to marry. So I'd say you've either spent the entirety of this thread arguing against it, or in a deep, deep confusion and misunderstanding.

Eh? That is dubiously lacking in any substance or argument.

And yet, it is a reason.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Homosexual couples are, in those many jurisdictions, denied the right to enter into the same contract of marriage that heterosexuals may, before the state. This is discriminatory practice rooted singularly in religious principle and is no more appropriate than the adoption of Sharia law.

who agrees with this?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Most people can also tell the difference between a response and a side step, I'd reckon. Now try to address the actual point in principle. Is your objection to Sharia law really only a matter of its severity?

Of course it isn't.

who agrees with this?

I do. Of course, then again I am not obsessed with what goes on in the bedrooms or marriages of other CONSENTING adults.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
who agrees with this?

Rationalists, anyone with an abiding respect for equality before the law...that sort of person. I see you're still running from the fact that you feel that way too, push comes to shove. That or you'd answer my question.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
only half of them

Well, I would ask "why do you think that is", however, I already know. Anyways, instead of having a pity party and distracting from this thread, why not start a thread of your own with a title of "Why don't people like me?" :plain:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Well, I would ask "why do you think that is", however, I already know. Anyways, instead of having a pity party and distracting from this thread, why not start a thread of your own with a title of "Why don't people like me?" :plain:

we already have a thread about why Rusha doesn't like me

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
we already have a thread about why Rusha doesn't like me

Oh yea ... the thread where you announced to TOL that I didn't like you, asked me why and then proceeded to TELL me why? That one?

So did you learn anything from that thread, Chrys?

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Oh yea ... the thread where you announced to TOL that I didn't like you, asked me why and then proceeded to TELL me why? That one?

So did you learn anything from that thread, Chrys?

I did learn that you were a moderator
and
that I could not put you on ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.