toldailytopic: Saint Valentine? Is it a churches responsibility to determine who is,

Ezekel

We talk to them because they're part of the body of Christ in which we are all connected, they're just in Heaven already and we are not.
(So we being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.)

Rev. 5:8

Rev. 8:3-4

There is no indication in any of scripture that saints is not a term to describe all those in the church or that only some people go to heaven when they die and everyone else has to wait.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
All believers are saints.

Yes its also the churches responsibility to determine who is and isn't a saint for the purposes of getting the gospel to the non saints and ensuring that the saints are really saints instead of wolves. (not to canonize them)

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Saint Valentine? Is it a churches responsibility to determine who is, and who isn't a saint?

Personally, I put no stock in it.
Too close to the pagan idea that you can pray to certain different "gods" for certain needs.

I see nothing wrong with honoring certain feats of certain people while they were alive.
But not to set them up as ones that can be prayed to after they die.
I agree. On topic, I would say that a church can make whatever rules seem good to it.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
Every person who goes to Heaven is a saint.

From what I have always gathered from Scripture, there are an elect that go to Heaven immediately after death while everyone else remains in the grave until the Second Coming.

Depending on how one looks at Scripture, it could be said that those that are not of that elect never actually go to Heaven, but are rather restored to a New Earth after Jesus returns.

But to entertain the thread topic, I believe in sainthood. I don't believe in praying to them but I do believe they are a special elect nonetheless, determined by God alone. The Catholic Church claims itself the only authority in Christendom, so of course she tries to distinguish who and who isn't so.