toldailytopic: Saint Valentine? Is it a churches responsibility to determine who is,

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 14th, 2012 10:13 AM

toldailytopic: Saint Valentine? Is it a churches responsibility to determine who is, and who isn't a saint?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Every person who goes to Heaven is a saint.

The early Church recognized saints by popular acclamation until about the 8th. century or so, when the process to canonize a saint became more formalized. So, to answer the question, yes, it is the Church's responsibility to determine who is a canonized saint.

The canonized saints are known because they were martyrs, great teachers, theologians or missionaries, or through some heroic act of faith. They were, and are, seen as examples to emulate.

The unknown saints have received their best reward in eternal happiness, and I imagine they aren't too concerned about whether they are known here on earth. :)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The early Church recognized saints by popular acclamation until about the 8th. century or so, when the process to canonize a saint became more formalized. So, to answer the question, yes, it is the Church's responsibility to determine who is a canonized saint.
Why do Catholics pray to canonized saints?

faramir77

But what is the time?

Cupid, son of Venus, lover of Psyche.
Roman Mythology.
Therefore, i suppose the Roman Cathode Cult could incorperate one more herecy into their occultic, exoteric traditions.

What is the time? What is the time?
To everthing under the sun, a time and a season.
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienciareal/cienciareal20.htm

I think it stinks that the contempory word/image association with the Human Heart is now solely relegated to romantic eros with only one other person. I mean, really. That's it? your do devoid of love you only have enough to spare for one other person?

Yippee Skippy, crash and burn secular culture.

Last edited:

oatmeal

Saint means set apart or sanctified.

When we do Romans 10:9-10 God saves us.

Salvation is beginning point of sanctification.

It is up to every individual to determine if they will do Romans 10:9-10 or not.

And then, if they do it, to live accordingly.

oatmeal

chrysostom

Hall of Fame

so that is the topic you really wanted

the Catholic Church does not really determine who is a saint
but
simply identifies who might be a saint
and
that is a big difference

why do we pray to saints?

we believe that they may be more sympathetic to our cause
and
can intercede on our behalf

theophilus

but
and
that is a big difference

Who might be a saint?

why do we pray to saints?

Don't you think they're busy worshipping God? Why would they listen to us? Where does the Bible say the saints in heaven are listening to us?

Why don't we just pray to God through His Son?

we believe that they may be more sympathetic to our cause
and
can intercede on our behalf

The Holy Spirit intercedes for us. Much better, imho, than a saint.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Saint Valentine? Is it a churches responsibility to determine who is, and who isn't a saint?

Personally, I put no stock in it.
Too close to the pagan idea that you can pray to certain different "gods" for certain needs.

I see nothing wrong with honoring certain feats of certain people while they were alive.
But not to set them up as ones that can be prayed to after they die.

theophilus

Those written in the Lamb's Book of Life are saints.

I haven't read it so I can't really say who is or isn't a saint. I'm pretty sure that's not my (our) decision.

:idunno:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
But what is the time?

Cupid, son of Venus, lover of Psyche.
Roman Mythology.
Therefore, i suppose the Roman Cathode Cult could incorperate one more herecy into their occultic, exoteric traditions.

What is the time? What is the time?
To everthing under the sun, a time and a season.
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienciareal/cienciareal20.htm

I think it stinks that the contempory word/image association with the Human Heart is now solely relegated to romantic eros with only one other person. I mean, really. That's it? your do devoid of love you only have enough to spare for one other person?

Yippee Skippy, crash and burn secular culture.

No one gave you a valentine when you were a kid? :think:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

We talk to them because they're part of the body of Christ in which we are all connected, they're just in Heaven already and we are not.
(So we being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.)

Rev. 5:8

Rev. 8:3-4

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

but
and
that is a big difference

False. I'm pretty sure that canonizations are pretty close to infallible, if they're not infallible.

eameece

I just have one thing to say about this choice of topic. This is a theology forum, but theology has no necessary connection with what the Church does or doesn't do.