toldailytopic: Religion, politics, sports, or something else. What is your favorite t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 5th, 2010 10:08 AM

toldailytopic: Religion, politics, sports, or something else. What is your favorite topic to debate and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Abortion, child/domestic abuse, death penalty, feminism, etc.

I enjoy these topics because they are controversial, and I am rather opinionated on all of them.

Last edited:

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Believe it or not, homosexuality is not my favorite topic. Probably post more on that one than any other but I just can't stand it. It has it's merits, granted. I especially get a (sick, sadistic) thrill out of how no hetero seems able to post a response in any way favorable to homosexuality without an assurance stuck in there somewhere that they're firmly hetero. So there's that. :chuckle:

Yes, I know. I'm a terrible person. :nono:

But it really brings something out in people that's bizarre to me. It's frustratingly rare to see anyone engage the topic, on either side of any related issue, with objectivity. I honestly don't get why so many people see the issue as such a humongous personal investment that it prevents so much objective, rational discussion. Seriously, there's no other topic I've seen that comes close to having this kind of effect. It's wacko.

I'm kinda chasing the dragon with that one I think, hoping against hope someone will suffer a moment of clarity and actually consider the whole issue objectively for more than two minutes. I don't even think I'd mind if I suffered a slam-dunk, humiliating defeat in whatever argument as a result of it. I'd just get such a huge kick out of that.

My favorite topic?

Marriage. Serious discussion on the topic, you understand. Not a list of top ten really neato things about it. Or warm and fuzzy reminiscences of this and that. All well and good but I'm talking deep discussion on the very nature of the thing. That is very intriguing to me, guaranteed to capture my sharp interest. I take mine seriously and have put it in preeminence over my every other worldly concern, so of course. But it's rare to find such a discussion. More's the pity.

heir

TOL Subscriber
As an ambassador for Christ, my favorite topic is the ministry of reconciliation.

assuranceagent

As a topic, probably religion. Though I will jump at anything based on logical reasoning and on which I feel I'm comfortably competent.

I particularly enjoy discussions for which there is balanced strength on both sides of the issue. Blowouts can be fun at times, but they grow old quickly.

My idea of a perfect debate is the one where the participants take opposing sides of a particular issue and present a well-reasoned and cogent case built on strength of logic and then have the open mind and depth of humility required to give a hat tip to a well-constructed argument, even adjusting their own position when the case demands.

As an aside, I greatly admire TH's way with the unfaithful among us. If argumentative evangelism were possible, TH would be right up there with Billy Graham.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Religion, politics, sports, or something else.
What is your favorite topic to debate and why?

I'm not much of debater . . .

Concerning religion, but I do stand firm with
John 14:6, Romans 10:8-13, Hebrews 13:5, 8.

And of politics, that's like a mine field.

About sports, for me that's settled, American automobile racing, and there is and will be none greater than the Petty family. Junior Johnson and Bill Elliott will fit in there somewhere.

A favorite other topic, great AMERICAN cars.
Why? Because of American ingenuity and vision have brought about some truly great cars. 1900-1984.

See, I knew I wouldn't have much to add.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Religion, politics, sports, or something else. What is your favorite topic to debate and why?

:think: Well, I enjoy tackling the objective presumption of the anti-theist and defending Christendom against unprincipled or ill considered attack...and abortion is another wheelhouse where I'm comfortable with my arguments and feel compelled to engage. That said, sports is my favorite topic because it's both impassioned and nearly without value, meaning only a lunatic is going to leave a rough and tumble feeling injured or slighted...that's just pure fun with no moment attaching.

As a rule, I'm probably going to show up anywhere I see a good straight line or head hanging over the plate. Probably the reason why my high school annual had me "most likely to be shot to death during a dispute--while winning, mind you."

:plain:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Abortion, child/domestic abuse, death penalty, feminism, etc.

I enjoy these topics because I they are controversial, and I am rather opinionated on all of them.

my favorite topic
is
how a feminist can be against abortion

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
my favorite topic
is
how a feminist can be against abortion

One does not need to buy into all that might be considered 'feminist'. I surly reject the lesbian separatists, who stole feminism. I do, however, support women's equal right to education and occupation, but not the draft. Women fall on a continuum, some consider themselves feminist, yet it is always an individually chosen label.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One does not need to buy into all that might be considered 'feminist'. I surly reject the lesbian separatists, who stole feminism. I do, however, support women's equal right to education and occupation, but not the draft. Women fall on a continuum, some consider themselves feminist, yet it is always an individually chosen label.

:thumb:

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
As to the topic issue, it is usually the shorter threads, as I do not have time to read through 200 posts.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Music.

And video games. Speaking of video games, I rented Dante's inferno. Fun game. Really challenging. Not very accurate to the book but I wasn't expecting it to be. Not really replayable at all, which is why I rented it.

ragTagblues

I especially get a (sick, sadistic) thrill out of how no hetero seems able to post a response in any way favorable to homosexuality without an assurance stuck in there somewhere that they're firmly hetero. So there's that. :chuckle:

I would just like state that I have always staunchly defended homosexuals without asserting my heterosexuality, I will continue to defend them as I can see their view point and rights as a hetrose . . . . dammit!?! :eek:

To be honest I love to talk about me . . . failing that talking about anything is interesting as long as I'm around like minded people (you know people who like to talk about ma as well), however MaryC is right the homosexual thing on this site weary's me . . . Speaking as a heterosexual of course!?!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...To be honest I love to talk about me . . .
What do you love to talk about when you aren't being honest? :shocked: And we like to talk about you too, if mostly when, you know, you aren't around. :p

failing that talking about anything is interesting as long as I'm around like minded people (you know people who like to talk about ma as well),
Then two's a crowd or a celebration depending, eh? :D
however MaryC is right the homosexual thing on this site weary's me . . . Speaking as a heterosexual of course!?!
Of course. :plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.