toldailytopic: Radiation contamination: taking precautions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuySmiley

I listen to a podcast called Brain Stuff. Marshall Brain gave a short good summary of what happened to get where we are today

http://podcasts.howstuffworks.com/h...11-03-14-brainstuff-japan-nuclear-problem.mp3

Basically they planned for everything except a tsunami of that size. The backup generators which powered the coolant pumps were flooded, which kicked in backup batteries until new generators could be brought in. The new generators arrived with the wrong connections and it was too late, the cooling system failed.

fool

Hall of Fame
yea... I love how I live in one of those big circled red zones...
Well - here's to it! I'll drink a green beer for every earthquake they predict that actually occurs...

I'll drink one for every Earthquake that doesn't occur.

Lovejoy

I will continue to not live in Japan.

There have been stories over the last several years of people dying in ambulances in Japan. They were shuttled from hospital to hospital, rejected at each as they were already full. I can't imagine what will happen over the next few years as thyroid cancer, etc, takes its toll on their already strained hospital system. As such, your plan may be for the best.

Lovejoy

Yup. Right next to the do-it-yourself vasectomy kits.:plain:

:confused:

What? Was it too much? It was too much, wasn't it??:noid:

:plain:

:shocked:

I will, I WILL, hire a team of surgeons from the Mayo Clinic if I ever decide to have any such procedure. I am, however, open to the idea of a home thyroidectomy kit. (I actually treat a number of post op thyroidectomy patients, and do not recommend anything of the sort. Any surgery involving an organ right on top of the airway is a fairly risky one.)

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not taking any steps from Japanese radiation. It turns out, some radiation may be good for you:

A Glowing Report On Radiation

Very interesting article. Might it explain my deadly immune system? It has been described as a 'Lion's Den'. Viruses that fall into it get gobbled. I have been irradiated when I was in the Navy. I caught Shingles last year and my immune system went postal on it, killing it in 8 days. Shingles is supposed to have a 5 to 8 week cycle.

My identical Twin who never joined the Navy is not this way. She gets sick all the time and has very bad sinuses.

I am not afraid of radiation. I have taken enough zoomies to glow in the dark.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 17th, 2011 09:49 AM

toldailytopic: Radiation contamination. What steps if any are you taking to protect your family from the drifting radiation from Japan?

We live down wind of Rocky Flats. We are not doing anything special.

rexlunae

It's maybe a shallow, insensitive thing to think of, but I was thinking this summer might be a cheap time to visit Japan.

Not too worried about the radiation. The dose that we could get here even in a worst case scenario is very small. On thing about the Fukushima plant, it was built in a place where it would minimize harm to people if it actually did have problems. There's lots of ocean in the direction the wind is going to move.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I am not as concerned for myself as I am for my kids. I live on the coast north of Santa Barbara, CA so we are also affected. Sadly as usual the State Dept. of health services, and the feds are flat again. A week ago as a precaution they should have been making available to the public Potassium Iodite (iodine pills) pills for thyroid protection as a minimum. Again the Govt. fails at it's first job of protecting it's citizens. I am trying to find some of these locally for my family, other than that I am at Gods mercy here, and He is more than able to protect my family. So hopefully we here on the coast will not be harmed....:(

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I'm on the East coast so I'm not really worried. If I was on the West coast, I don't think I'd be too worried. It seems like crossing the Pacific is enough distance to weaken the radiation. :idunno: I'm not a scientist though. :chuckle:

Status
Not open for further replies.