toldailytopic: Praying to the Saints. Do you pray to a Saint? If so, which ones and w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Radiance

the difference is only recognised by Catholics. Everyone else sees through the semantics and recognises that praying to Mary as the queen of heaven and co-redemptrix, kissing her statue are forms of worship.

I defer to John of Damascus:

Answer me this question. Is there only one God? You answer, "Yes, there is only one Law-giver." Why, then, does He command contrary things? The cherubim are not outside of creation; why, then, does He allow cherubim carved by the hand of man to overshadow the mercy-scat? Is it not evident that as it is impossible to make an image of God, who is uncircumscribed and impassible, or of one like to God, creation should not be worshiped as God. He allows the image of the cherubim who are circumscribed, and prostrate in adoration before the divine throne, to be made, and thus prostrate to overshadow the mercy-seat. It was fitting that the image of the heavenly choirs should overshadow the divine mysteries. Would you say that the ark and staff and mercy-scat were not made? Are they not produced by the hand of man? Are they not due to what you call contemptible matter? What was the tabernacle itself? Was it not an image? Was it not a type and a figure? Hence the holy Apostle's words concerning the observances of the law, "Who serve unto the example and shadow, of heavenly things." As it was answered to Moses, when he was to finish the tabernacle: "See" (He says), "that thou make all things according to the pattern which was shown thee on the Mount." But the law ,-,,as not an image. It shrouded the image. In the words of the same Apostle, the law, contains the shadow of the goods to come, not the image of those things. For if the law should forbid images, and vet be itself a forerunner of images, what should we say? If the tabernacle 'was a figure, and the type of a type, why does the law not prohibit image-making? But this is not in the least the case. There is a time for everything.

Of old, God the incorporeal and uncircumscribed was never depicted. Now, however, when God is seen clothed in flesh, and conversing with men, I make an image of the God whom I see. I do not worship matter, I worship the God of matter, who became matter for my sake, and deigned to inhabit matter, who worked out my salvation through matter. I will not cease from honoring that matter which works my salvation. I venerate it, though not as God. How could God be born out of lifeless things? And if God's body is God by union, it is immutable. The nature of God remains the same as before, the flesh created in time is quickened by, a logical and reasoning soul.
-On Holy Images (730 C.E.)

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Bury a St. Joseph statue upside down in your yard if you'd like to sell your house (Isa 45:20; Ho 11:2). :dizzy: "...[O]ver-priced "kits" that show you how to do it..." :greedy: Full text: Burying Saint Joseph to Sell Your Home De 4:28; Ps 115:5,7.

I think a 10-year reduction out of Purgatory for your long lost friends and family is on sale now for the low, low price of four hundred bucks (Luke 16:14). :eek:linger: Limited time offer. Not available for TN or kingdom residents (Ro 8:1).

See:

Is prayer to saints / Mary biblical? Why do Roman Catholics believe in the praying to the saints and Mary?

What are Christian saints according to the Bible? Are saints a select group of Christians that lived especially godly lives?

Is worship of saints / Mary biblical? Why do Roman Catholics believe in the worshipping the saints and Mary?

No Purgatory

badp

If Saints can really hear everyone's prayers, then being a Saint has to be reaaaaallllly annoying.

Silas Parsnip

Praying to the Saints is certainly not biblical, but our gentle God understands and hears prayers, no matter whom they are routed through. I cannot believe in a God who switches off all those faithful folk who pray with the rosary, or put flowers at the shrine of a dead hero.
In Australia we now have a national saint for the first time - Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop, and since her canonisation there has been a surge of interest in her, and presumably prayer through her, as much among protestants and non-Christians, as among the Catholic faithful.
My local parish church has dozens of shrines to various saints interspersed amongst the confessionals along the sides, and in the side chapels, and some in the grounds and gardens outside. Some are 'major' saints (St Patrick, St Charbel, etc) and some obscure (St Lupo, St Gabriel of the Sacred Heart, etc) I cannot believe that the folk who pray, light candles, or leave flowers at these shrines are labouring in vain.

Silas Parsnip

Saint Fiacre

Saint Fiacre

I pray to God through the graces of Saint Fiacre (Fiachrach). Patron of gardeners, people with haemorroids, the city of Leichhardt and (bizarrely) Parisian taxi-drivers, amongst others. Which is a good match for me, except the taxi-driver bit.

Esquilax

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 20th, 2011 03:26 PM

toldailytopic: Praying to the Saints. Do you pray to a Saint? If so, which ones and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.
## 1. Yes.

3. Lots of reasons.

2. The ones I feel drawn to. No names - I don't want to offend people's sentiments on what can be a *very* touchy subject.

Refractive

I pray to God through the graces of Saint Fiacre (Fiachrach). Patron of gardeners, people with haemorroids, the city of Leichhardt and (bizarrely) Parisian taxi-drivers, amongst others. Which is a good match for me, except the taxi-driver bit.

This is from wikipedia - I bet it has something to do with how he got to be Patron of taxi drivers :

Fiachrach's name is perpetuated in France in connection with the hackney-carriage called fiacre, which derived its name from the circumstance that the proprietor of the Hôtel de St. Fiacre, in the Rue St. Martin, in 1640 kept carriages on hire. Over the doorway was an image of the saint, and in course of time the carriages came to be called by the name of the saint who presided over the establishment.​

Refractive

Departed saints cannot hear you (Lk 16:26). :dizzy:

That's between people who are all on the Other Side and they do seem to be able to see each other and chat each other up:

When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried,
and from the netherworld, 14 where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.
And he cried out, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.'
Abraham replied, 'My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented.
Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.'
He said, 'Then I beg you, father, send him to my father's house,
for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.'
But Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.'

They hear us just fine. It's not like they're dead, you know.

griffinsavard

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 20th, 2011 03:26 PM

toldailytopic: Praying to the Saints. Do you pray to a Saint? If so, which ones and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Praying to dead saints is another pagan ritual in Catholic Babylon. Many cultures pray to their dead anscetors, Japanese are one example, the catholics must of almagamated this ritual when they were conquering these type of people sometime through history. :dead:

griffinsavard

Are you being serious or funny?

They have a patron saint for hemorroids? I got such a :chuckle: out of this one. Sorry if I offended you :argue:

Refractive

Praying to dead saints is another pagan ritual in Catholic Babylon. Many cultures pray to their dead anscetors, Japanese are one example, the catholics must of almagamated this ritual when they were conquering these type of people sometime through history. :dead:

Or perhaps we read something?

Matthew 17:

1 2 After six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain by themselves.
3 And he was transfigured before them; his face shone like the sun and his clothes became white as light.
4 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, conversing with him.

Matthew 27:

And behold, the veil of the sanctuary was torn in two from top to bottom. 31 The earth quaked, rocks were split,
tombs were opened, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised.
And coming forth from their tombs after his resurrection, they entered the holy city and appeared to many.

Status
Not open for further replies.