toldailytopic: Praying to the Saints. Do you pray to a Saint? If so, which ones and w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 20th, 2011 03:26 PM

toldailytopic: Praying to the Saints. Do you pray to a Saint? If so, which ones and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Praying to the Saints. Do you pray to a Saint? If so, which ones and why?

Nope. The only mediator that I need is the Lord Jesus Christ.

oatmeal

How does scripture define a saint?

A dead saint or a live saint?

Define pray.

Praying to corpses is futile. Seances and necromancy is not what God approves of.

We are to pray to the Father, Jesus Christ taught that.

"our Father, who art in heaven." We take his teaching and we use it. We are to pray to the Father. No one else. Jesus did not say, pray the Father and any corpses you want to pray to.

oatmeal

The Berean

How does scripture define a saint?

A dead saint or a live saint?

Define pray.

Praying to corpses is futile. Seances and necromancy is not what God approves of.

We are to pray to the Father, Jesus Christ taught that.

"our Father, who art in heaven." We take his teaching and we use it. We are to pray to the Father. No one else. Jesus did not say, pray the Father and any corpses you want to pray to.

oatmeal
How about these Saints? :think:

alg_brees_jubi.jpg

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
Could they answer if I did? Are dead folk given special prayer answering powers?

Does God know about this??

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Last time I checked, human spirits are not omnipresent.

keypurr

I pray ONLY to the Father through his Son.
The saints are sleeping. Do not disturb them, if you can.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Why not just write them a letter?
....Paul did:

1Co 1:2 To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 20th, 2011 03:26 PM

I certainly don't want anyone praying to me, for I am a saint as are all who are faithful in Christ.

1Cor. 1:2 to the assembly of God which is at Corinth; those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place, both theirs and ours:

There is only one mediator between God and men, That is Jesus Christ.

John Mortimer

St. Francis and St. Benedict.
Because they both resonate with my own thoughts on spirituality.

It strikes me that it's amazing how much a simple statement like this can express, if one knows something about the saints involved.

The Communion of Saints is one of the treasures of the Catholic heritage, in my view... a genuine gift to the world.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I sometimes tell my dear departed Christian Mother that I miss her presence. But I am not praying to her. Just talking inwardly in the hope that she might be looking down and listening. Does that count?

AMR

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I sometimes tell my dear departed Christian Mother that I miss her presence. But I am not praying to her. Just talking inwardly in the hope that she might be looking down and listening. Does that count?

AMR

If you have the belief that she hears you, is it not also possible for you to believe the saints can hear you too?

Status
Not open for further replies.